xp5xs ordered!

Posted by: Seaman on 23 December 2018

Merry Christmas, naimers and others!

So I decided to get myself a little christmasgift for myself. After spotting a nice priced demoex xp5xs and talking to the dealer I decided to just go for it! Without any homedemo (the dealer is to far away)but if im not happy I can return the unit within 14 days. I hope to get more/better in the lower end and some bigger soundstage and clarity. It should work very well with the current naitxs2 and nd5xs, but we will see!

Are there anyone in the forum that tried the xp5xs in the system described above? I read some post here, but always nice to hear new comments and new experiences.

I will get back on the forum with my own findings. Just havs to wait for my christmasgift to arrive! 

Take care!

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

I imagine you know it’s discontinued, so I hope the price was really keen. It would be nice to be able to audition your ND5 with the XP5 against the new ND5xs2, though I imagine with no dealer nearby it may be difficult. Maybe they could send you a XS2 to try before you decide. 

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by HiFiman

Enjoy the XP5xs Seaman it is a good PSU I used one on my 272, tried the XPSdr but it took a 555dr to displace the XP5xs. I really enjoyed what the XP5xs did to my 272 hope you have similar results using this with your ND5xs.

All the best

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by wilro15

Congrats on your new purchase. Hopefully the improvements will bring a big smile for Christmas.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by RaceTripper
Seaman posted:

Merry Christmas, naimers and others!

So I decided to get myself a little christmasgift for myself. After spotting a nice priced demoex xp5xs and talking to the dealer I decided to just go for it! ...

I thought about getting one for my ND5-XS but I don't really use it enough to justify the expense. However, I would like to know what you think once you have lived with it a bit. Maybe I'll change my mind about getting one, but I am saving first for a new phono cartridge.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by DrPo

Still use mine on the NDX (making it better)

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Seaman

I know its discontinued, but a good price I decided to have a go. I lived with my current XS-setup for a couple of years now and I really enjoy its soundsignature, but I want to hear if the PS can give me more without changing the xs into something else. I think xs is very good VFM and to get higher up the ranks will demand some serious funds. I dont have an endgame system as I think my hifisystem evolves, slowly over the years to come, and perhaps later in a retroperspective I would do some things differently, but thats also a part of the hifi-journey, making some mistakes. 

I guess the holidays will make the deliverytime lounger than usual, but I will get back on this thread with my findings. Nice to hear that you are enjoying your xp5xs 

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Singlespeed
Seaman posted:

I know its discontinued, but a good price I decided to have a go. I lived with my current XS-setup for a couple of years now and I really enjoy its soundsignature, but I want to hear if the PS can give me more without changing the xs into something else. I think xs is very good VFM and to get higher up the ranks will demand some serious funds. I dont have an endgame system as I think my hifisystem evolves, slowly over the years to come, and perhaps later in a retroperspective I would do some things differently, but thats also a part of the hifi-journey, making some mistakes. 

Hey Seaman

I ran an original XS amp & upgraded it first with a HiCap & then a 200DR. They both made a significant improvement to the XS & I enjoyed each step up. I did think about an XP5 for my then ND5, but eventually went a different route to a 272. Enjoy your hifi-journey, I'm sure the XP5 will give you a nice lift in SQ 

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Christopher_M

From one XS guy to another, I think you’ll like it. 

I tried an XP5XS on my one time CDX2 and liked it. When I eventually bought the ‘proper’ supply, the XPS2, I remember being a bit underwhelmed. 

C. 

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by MDS

I used one on my nDAC for some years and was very pleased with it. I even tried it against an XPS2 and felt the XP5XS gave 80-90% of the XPS2's performance but at only half the retail price.  It took a 555PS to displace my XP5. I used to think the XP5XS very good value for money at it's new price. At a discounted pre-used price it should be an absolute steal.