What music did you get for Christmas?

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 25 December 2018

Music always has played a large part in our Christmas lists and I can remember certain Christmas days by the music I got as a present. So what CD, vinyl or music file did Santa bring you?

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

R-11779885-1522269193-7795.jpegR-11779885-1522269193-9109.jpeg

Re released this year and available for a sensible price not as good as a whole record as the debut Original Pirate Material but it does have some fantastic tunes.

R-8142321-1455936600-7960.jpegR-8142321-1455938421-9883.jpeg

Dennis at King Tubby's what more do you want from a Christmas present?

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Richard Dane

My Christmas Present to myself was the 4 LP 50th anniversary reissue of The Beatles. I’m resting in front of the fire,  having washed up from lunch, and now listening to the Esher Demos. 

Just finished washing uo myself and listening to Womack and Womack - The Composers.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by BLACKMASS

Radiohead A Moon Shaped Pool (vinyl)

The Verve A Storm in Heaven CD Boxset

The Verve Urban Hymns CD Boxset

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by DBS-Al

Santana IV. Excellent.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by ChrisH

I don't get too much music for Christmas these days as if I want an album I'll just normally get it.

But I did get this which has been on my list for a while, and now I'm listening to it and enjoying dreaming of somewhere altogether more exotic after having looked out on a dreary Christmas Day for most of today....

IMG_20181225_195924680

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Loki

Muse: Simulation Theory

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Olly

Physical CD

Khruangbin - Con Todo el Mundo

24 bit downloads

Ryan Adams - Gold

Paul Simon - Graceland

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Lovin’

Kate Bush - Remasters PtII

So something of a bumper year

Olly

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Allan Milne

A nice collection that I have still to listen to …

Vinyl:

Sons of kenit

Rush - 2110

Billy Joel - Street life serenade

CD:

Paul McCartney -Egypt station

hope everyone is enjoying their music

Allan

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Skip

I learned about these vinyl reissues from Analog Planet and they sound great.  

The Dylan is particularly striking and you can read about it here.  https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...nd-organisation-york

This is Gillian's second re-mastering and re-release of one of her early CD's on vinyl.   Great sound and music. 

Likewise for Joan Baez' first album.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Alley Cat

Grief.

ChrisH posted:

I don't get too much music for Christmas these days as if I want an album I'll just normally get it.

But I did get this which has been on my list for a while, and now I'm listening to it and enjoying dreaming of somewhere altogether more exotic after having looked out on a dreary Christmas Day for most of today....

IMG_20181225_195924680

I have the self titled Imarhan LP from a couple of years back great fusion music.

Allan Milne posted:

Rush - 2110

2112 perchance? or is this an earlier album

Boy George and Culture Club : Life: Yellow vinyl.

Superb new album.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Rich 1

I didn't and I'm off to sulk! Rich 

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Twelfth Night - Sequences

Sequences was probably the band’s most popular song live with Geoff Mann as their vocalist back in the 1980s: Poignantly written at the height of the cold war, it is an epic (20+ minute) song set in the first world war, the satirical tale of soldiiers being sent into battle a declaration of the futility of war . Originally only captured as a live recording with Geoff on their Live and Let Live album, which did a good job of capturing the live presentation (I know, because I was there!), remaining members of the band recently decided to produce a modern studio version, or rather versions: the complete work, an instrumental version, and a piano interpretation. 

Unfortunately I will not know how good this album is as I am away and will not be able to play it until 2019...

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by TK421

The Best of J.S. Bach - Naxos CD

The Best of Tchaikovsky - Naxos CD

The Singer Art Garfunkel CD, plus as a special bonus tickets to see him at St Davids Hall in Cardiff - April 2019.

I'm a very lucky chap.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by JazzDocNaim

I rarely get given music for Christmas or birthdays. With around 16000 albums, people think that I have enough and couldn't possibly need any more. It's a shame as I remember any music that was given to me as a gift, when it was given to me, who gave ti to me and how our lives interacted.

Most unusually I got two CD sets for Christmas this year:

Ben Sidran: Ben There, Done That: Live Around The World 1975-2015 (https://tinyurl.com/yce8uhvh)

This is a 4CD set from Ben's personal archives. If anyone is interested in getting this set, grab it quick as it is limited to 3000 copies. Given to me by a dear friend in the USA who I am yet to meet in person.

Ben Sidran: Free In America/The Doctor Is In/A Little Kiss In The Night/Live At Montreux (https://tinyurl.com/y7klwbhl)

Four albums from Ben Sidran's back catalogue, previously only available as costly Japanese imports. This 2CD set is something of a bargain. Given to me with the words 'I know you still have the records Dad but I thought you might like them on CD'. This one really back to to the time when I first heard them courtesy of Ian and Chris at Audio Venue. Anyone else remember Chris Frankland's lyrical waxings about 'Cat In The Hat' and 'Bop City' in Hi-Fi Review?

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by NAJB

My wife's son always tries to extend my musical horizons and either buys me music or persuades his mother that she should buy me some. I thus received, but have yet to try

Julia Holter - Aviary

The Imagined Village

Olafur Arnands - Re-member

Television - Marquee Moon 

Item 2 carries a sticker proclaiming the group to be BBC Radio 2 Folk Award winner; I shall try not to let that influence my listening. I suppose it could have been worse had it been a Radio 1 award!

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Premmyboy
NAJB posted:

My wife's son always tries to extend my musical horizons and either buys me music or persuades his mother that she should buy me some. I thus received, but have yet to try

Julia Holter - Aviary

The Imagined Village

Olafur Arnands - Re-member

Television - Marquee Moon 

Item 2 carries a sticker proclaiming the group to be BBC Radio 2 Folk Award winner; I shall try not to let that influence my listening. I suppose it could have been worse had it been a Radio 1 award!

The Television album is an absolute classic. 

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by antony d

very lucky this Christmas - did put some suggestions down on my list to Santa

• Supertrammp Breakfast in America - MoFI - stunning, takes vinyl onto another level detail music - made a landmark album better
  • 180 gram remastered Abbey Road - brillant remastered - more music, I can now hear more music
  • Kate bush Box 2 - 4 albums played hounds of love - lovely
  • Primal Scream Scremadelica - classic
Posted on: 26 December 2018 by ewemon

I normally buy my own music for Xmas and didn't buy anything this year. Must be the first year ever though I will be keeping an eye on the sales to see if there is anything I want.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by ewemon
Olly posted:

Physical CD

Khruangbin - Con Todo el Mundo

24 bit downloads

Ryan Adams - Gold

Paul Simon - Graceland

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Lovin’

Kate Bush - Remasters PtII

So something of a bumper year

Olly

Don't know the first album but the downloads are an excellent collection of titles.

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Suzy Wong

Five Jeff Beck, three Beatles and Barclay James Harvest, on CD.

Several Rick Wakeman DVDs

Mrs SW got some Kate Rusby CDs and a DVD, and a couple of CD/LPs of “ambient” stuff from Lush (yes, the cosmetics company......really!)