Atc scm 40S anyone - and Naim vs. the stock market.

Posted by: MangoMonkey on 25 December 2018

Two posts here:

- Anyone happy they sold some stocks to buy Naim gear? :-)

- Second:
Was at my local dealer the other day and had a chance to listen to the atc scm 40s for a few minutes. Liked what I heard. Now I'm wondering if I should not bother auditioning the Titan 606/707s and instead the ATCs as a sideways move from the Kudos Super 20s...

Anyone with experience with both Kudos and ATCs? I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the Titans 707s blind when I heard the ATC SCM40s.

The smaller ATCs (19 etc) sound too 'hard' - there was some of that with the 40 as well, but somehow the extra bass made it a little warmer. 

Back to Stocks:
Should have pulled the trigger in November - the speaker would have held its value better than the stock market. Now I'm glad I  invested in the ND555 and Nap500 this year. ;-)

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Haim Ronen

?Everyone makes fortunes investing in toys, proven beyond doubt.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by MangoMonkey

'invested

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by varyat

Mango- I would still take the opportunity to listen to the Kudos in your own space before committing to the ATC...707's pobably make the most sense if you are moving from the S20's- increase in cabinet volume and construction will yield huge benefits as long as your room can take them.

Tyler is dropping a pair of 808's my way next week. I have already heard them but not in my room. The T-88's have been working beautifully so I suspect my room will accommodate the 808's . Great to have a legitimate Kudos distributor here in the States and one that will allow a home demo prior to purchase- that just does not happen very often. My opinion- take Tyler's generous home demo offer and get a good listen before decision.

ATB,

Mark

Mark - I’m planning a trip to Chicago end of January. I’d want to compare the 606s and 707s before getting one home for a demo. 

Don’t want too much or too little speaker for the space ... and heard a few comments on the 606s being extra special. Although - the 707s seem to be the ones that have dedicated drivers designed for them, while the 606s seem to have drivers borrowed from the super 20s - so the 606s might not be enough of a step up frim the super 20s...

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by varyat

Exactly..

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Japtimscarlet

At the recent audio east show it was ATC and kudos that impressed me the most

The only thing with the ATCs is they can look a little old fashioned ...but the sound is amazing

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by naim_nymph

It seems like everything i've read on this forum about ATC SCM40 [ and other ATC loudspeakers ]

...is that they are all jolly good but the Active version is just so much the better.

Which [ if so ] comes down to:

552 + ATC SCM40A  vs.

552/500 + Kudos S20 vs SCM40 (passive) vs  Kudos 505, 606, 707...

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Mike-B

I'm sold on SCM40'A' for my next speakers,  the only reservation I have is on low volume,  really awesome at higher volume but a different animal when at late night listening levels.    It looks like I must have a home demo before I wave the AmEx

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by leni v

Had a look at the kudos site,the s20 and the 606 do not share the  same drivers.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by RaceTripper

I sold some of my Apple stock to buy a pair of new Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum in October. At the time that only erased my gains since May of this year. I hit sell when Apple was at its peak of ~$232, and it's been in decline ever since, now at $150 or so. I did that at the right time. Too bad I didn't sell all of it so I could repurchase now, but only hindsight is 20/20. 

Lucky!

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by analogmusic

Apple stock  is based on future sales of iPhones....

analogmusic posted:

My $6 investment in Apple turned into $50K before I spend $11K of it to buy speakers. iPhones sales did the job for me.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by analogmusic

Awesome outcomes well done 

RaceTripper posted:
analogmusic posted:

My $6 investment in Apple turned into $50K before I spend $11K of it to buy speakers. iPhones sales did the job for me.

Oops, meant to say $6K, not $6.00

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Well my approx £3k investment in Bitcoin last year.. allowed me to sell and buy a 552DR 12 months ago... and since then the value of crypto’s has genereally plummeted, but my musical enjoyment from my Naim system has certainly increased.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by pete T15
Mike-B posted:

I'm sold on SCM40'A' for my next speakers,  the only reservation I have is on low volume,  really awesome at higher volume but a different animal when at late night listening levels.    It looks like I must have a home demo before I wave the AmEx

The 40 Actives are good at Low volumes Mike  but as you say awesome from medium to high levels . I'm not sure this is the speakers or our ears as I can't think of any system I've had that sounded better at lower volumes than higher . I recall reading somewhere that our hearing is less sensitive to low frequencies at lower volumes , this could explain the jump in performance when things are turned up a notch or 2 . 

In terms of stocks , investing in the US pre Brexit was certainly one of the luckiest decisions I've made . I got out of Amazon recently around $1720 , that cash didn't go towards hifi unfortunately but paid for some very cool sliding doors .