More about classical music

Posted by: MangoMonkey on 25 December 2018

Got several tips from forum members a couple of time regarding classical music. Thanks. Here are my finds so far...

Looks like even after about half a year, I haven't progressed much beyond Bach. Just listening to a bunch of his other stuff.

Mozart: Incredibly boring. :-) Violin Concerto No. 5 is however something I have had on repeat. (Hilary Hahn's recording).

Also - instead of starting with composer, I've been collecting music by Sir Colin Davis, Hilary Hahn, Helene Grimaud and now Arabella Steinbacher. I let their works introduce me to composers.

Are Mozart's symphonies + Violin concertos not all that? 

This Christmas got me 6 CDs by Arabella Steinbacher and 4 more by Hilary Hahn. 

A few months ago, purchased the 111 set by Deutsche Grammaphone. Just not a good entry point - spotify is probably better since I don't have to rip all those cds. :-)

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Ardbeg10y
MangoMonkey posted:

Got several tips from forum members a couple of time regarding classical music. Thanks. Here are my finds so far...

Looks like even after about half a year, I haven't progressed much beyond Bach. Just listening to a bunch of his other stuff.

Mozart: Incredibly boring. :-) Violin Concerto No. 5 is however something I have had on repeat. (Hilary Hahn's recording).

Also - instead of starting with composer, I've been collecting music by Sir Colin Davis, Hilary Hahn, Helene Grimaud and now Arabella Steinbacher. I let their works introduce me to composers.

A few months ago, purchased the 111 set by Deutsche Grammaphone. Just not a good entry point - spotify is probably better since I don't have to rip all those cds. :-)

Turn up the volume!

A few suggestions to start with:

Listen to the opening of Bruckners symphony nr. 4 (set the volume on 10 and dont turn it down)

Toccata and Fuge in D by J. S. Bach - take the performance by Ton Koopman

Brahms Symphony No 3, part 3.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Ardbeg10y
MangoMonkey posted:

Start with symphony 35, 40 and 41.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Haim Ronen

Why don't you visit the Music Room?

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by SamClaus
Ardbeg10y posted:
MangoMonkey posted:

Start with symphony 35, 40 and 41.

If you like Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 5, you'll love the Sinfonia Concertante for violin and viola. May I suggest Vilde Frang and Maxim Rysanov?

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

The 111 set is a good start to realize which type of classical music you like. While it’s also like with all music you also need to give yourself time to develop the taste for a newer form of music. That’s also how I started to for instance learn to appreciate Chamber music and more specifically string quartets. With regards to Mozart, he has written so much music that’s it even not easy to talk about liking or disliking it. I would advise you to explore from a more generic collection like your 111 and start exploring from that based on the pieces you like.

Also try out different directions in classical music. With Arrebela Steinbacher you already started exploring the classical violin music. Now ex0lore piano music, or orchestral music. And always start with more accessible classical before taking on the the more challenging pieces. Also try ballet music, it’s very often a welcome entry into classical for multiple people.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by thebigfredc

Hey Mango,

You forgot to add aged 7 at the end of your post. To call the genius that is Mozart boring is really quite ignorant. Maybe classical music is not for you.

Ray

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by MangoMonkey

[@mention:55771800629066628], @SamClaus, [@mention:13111295364991225]- thanks for the tips.  I'll look for the other pieces you recommend. I've got the complete Mozart symphonies with Colin Davis conducting - should find the recommended pieces in there. Others - thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

[@mention:1566878604030180] - not helpful. 

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by trickydickie

Mango - I don't know if you can source directly from Hyperion Records but if you can they do a free monthly sampler which has a nice variety of music which is useful as a taster.  Their recordings are normally excellent.

You can download Nov and Dec at the moment, if you look at the URL you can work out how to get Sep and Oct too by changing the month number.

I rather like Chopin piano concertos, they are nice and melodic and accessible.

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Morton

Sorry you think Mozart is boring, have you tried the Piano Concerts, No. 23 is a particular favourite of mine, it has a beautiful slow movement (at 11 mins in this video).

Also you can’t go wrong with the string quartets, try the group of six he dedicated to Haydn.

Personally I think Mozart is at his greatest in the Operas, The Marriage of Figaro is just about perfect.

If none of that appeals, try some Wagner!

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by T38.45

Try Mozart Piano Concerts 20,21,23, with Alfred Brendel, Beethoven Piano #5 (Alfred Brendel as well), and try for fun my all time fav: Tic, Toc,Choc Couperin from Alexandre Tharaud....some Rameau? Try this: the sound of light from Currentzis, or piano like Alexandre Tharaud plays Rameau....

Ralf

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by T38.45

...and I don't like Hilary Hahn :-)))))

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by R.K

Pno crto 20. 

Marriage of Figaro. Opera a good way into Mozart. 

Also maybe watch Amadeus. 

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by MangoMonkey
T38.45 posted:

Why not?

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by T38.45

...clinical cold,  antiseptic....not my cup coffee;-) Grumiaux, Faust, Szeryng, Oistrakh are my favs...

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by SamClaus
MangoMonkey posted:
T38.45 posted:

Why not?

I wouldn't worry too much about that, the important thing is to enjoy the piece. Hilary Hahn is excellent, so is Arabella Steinbacher - it's a question of personal preference.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by David O'Higgins
MangoMonkey posted:

Don’t know what was already recommended to you, but try the 1963 Karajan Cycle of Beethoven Symphonies. Just keep playing them until they burn in! Also Schubert piano Quintet ‘Trout’ , Gershwin ‘An American in Paris’, Copland ‘Billy the Kid’ and ‘Rodeo’ and Haydn ‘Creation’ (Karajan again). 

Don’t push, just wait for the penny to drop!