Hum from Uniti Star/Rega Fono MM Mk3

Posted by: CroBoy on 25 December 2018

Hi,

Maybe someone can help here, I have a bit of a issue with my Naim Uniti Star/Spendor A2/Rega P6/Rega Neo PSU/Rega Fono MM Mk3...every time I turn Rega Fono preamp there is a hum noticeable from Unit Star, and that is at every input, not just at analogue on which is Rega connected. Also there is big double bang from Spendors when Rega pre amp is tuned off or on.

Any idea if this is abnormal or why it is happening?

Many thanks

S

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Christopher_M

Please try moving the neo psu and the fono as far away from the record player and from each other as the wires will allow. 

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by ChrisSU

You should always turn on sources before amps to avoid those thumps. 

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...d-power-off-sequence

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by sjw

I had this with rega tt and phono. I moved all of them away from the CD player and prepower and it disappeared. 

When I first tried another phono  stage there was hum. It went away when I pushed the phono plugs more firmly in to the phono stage. I very very gently squeezed the sides of the phono plugs with pliars it to improve the connection and the hum disappeared entirely 

Once it's set up I don't know why you would need to switch off the phono stage?

Good luck

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Proterra

Would switching the floating earth switch on the Star make a differant.  It's sound like you've got an earth loop somewhere causing the hum.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by spurrier sucks

I had the same issue a few months back when I tried a TT. I ended up selling the TT. That was the easiest fix for me.