SuperCap2 to 282 Cable Needed after HighCap DR upgrade

Posted by: GT1983 on 26 December 2018

Hi

I have just bought a used SuperCap2 to upgrade my highcap DR and now need a second 5 pin cable to connect the supercap to the 282. This is not the same 5 pin cable from a source (NDX2) to the pre-amp. Could someone please tell me what the second SuperCap to 282 cable is called that I need?

Thanks

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by james n

A second SNAIC5 cable is what you need. 

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by GT1983

Thanks James N. So what are the source to Preamp connections called? Are they just DIN's? I though they were known as SNAIC5's

They're just called DIN interconnects. The SNAIC cables (4 & 5) carry power as well as the audio signal. 

PS - have a look here. All you need to know

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...cs-and-interconnects

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Adam Zielinski

This is the connection schematics you need:

2 x 5-pin 270 degree SNAICS + a suitable cable from your SuperCap to a power amp.

AB9E167F-15D3-4CB2-B457-C2FEC9785B00

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by michael17

Hi

i’d be very interested to know what improvements this made to your sound quality once you get it hooked up.

Michael

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Chris1977
Adam Zielinski posted:

This is the connection schematics you need:

2 x 5-pin 270 degree SNAICS + a suitable cable from your SuperCap to a power amp.

AB9E167F-15D3-4CB2-B457-C2FEC9785B00

Sorry for the question, I know it may sound obvious to many. It is the same scheme for all this class of pre? whichever the PSU? signal cable will always link the Hicap/Supercap to the power amplifier?

I would have expected to connect a NAC unit to a NAP unit directly.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Richard Dane

You only link directly if no Decicated PSU is used for the preamp - I.e. the preamp is powered by the power amps internal preamp supply.

The FAQ explains why Naim route the preamp signal through its power supply..

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Adam Zielinski
Chris1977 posted:

Sorry for the question, I know it may sound obvious to many. It is the same scheme for all this class of pre? whichever the PSU? signal cable will always link the Hicap/Supercap to the power amplifier?

I would have expected to connect a NAC unit to a NAP unit directly.

The connections generally depend on the combination of pre and power amps.

NAP200 is the only power amp that can supply power to the pre-amp. So it can power NAC 202 and NAC 282.
Once you move up to NAP 250, any pre-amp will need a dedicated power supply. NAC 202 and NAC 282 will need at least a HiCap.
NAC 252 will only work with a SuperCap.
NAC 552 has its own, dedicated power supply.

Connections from a pre-amp to a power amp, will depend on which power-amp is being used. 
NAP 200 and NAP 250 are being ‘fed’ through a single SNAIC.
NAP 300 and NAP 500 need two dedicated SNAICS.

As to a signal routing - as soon as one starts using a power supply, the signal (from pre to power) must be routed through the power supply, to maintain earthing.