Question on warning on the back of Naim amps

Posted by: drawtheline55 on 26 December 2018

Hi it seems on all the Naim amps, there is a warning at the speaker inputs, thats says something like, use supplied terminals

and not the 4mm banana plugs" why is that ? wasn't that a Naim set up ? I know I got that set up a few yrs ago from my Naim dealer !

I have both am currently using the double" banana if you will, but sure is a mystery, any reasons ??

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by james n

I wouldn't worry - it won't blow up if you don't use them. Amps like the NAP250 that have the chassis mounted speaker sockets are very robust. Some of the older amps have speaker sockets mounted on the main PCB and these can suffer mechanical stress when using individual banana plugs (particularly with heavy or stiff speaker cables) which can damage the solder joints and cause intermittent connections. The Naim supplied double banana plugs help spread the mechanical load and help prevent damage to the PCB mounted connectors. 

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Richard Dane

I was going to post, but James has summed it up well.  I would just add that the Naim speaker connectors are supplied with the amps and are the same metal to metal match. 

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Bart

My SL speaker cables came with banana plugs at both ends . . . I've not been worried and refuse to start worrying!

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by james n
Adam Meredith posted:

Ah yes - 

the plugs are designed in such a way as to prevent them being accidentally inserted into European mains sockets

Always reminds me of...

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by drawtheline55

Ok thanks for the replies, I know I have used the single bananas on my supernait with no problems.