Best iOS app for DLNA playback on the device

Posted by: Alley Cat on 26 December 2018

This seems like a daft question and perhaps it is, but assuming I want to listen to music from a local DLNA server on an iPhone with headphones (directly connected or via Bluetooth), what would you use?

The distinction here is that I merely want to access albums on a NAS and playback on the iPhone or connected speaker/headphone, rather than using it as a controller for playback on a Naim streamer or other such device.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by blythe

MusicStreamer app - not very expensive and seems to work fine. Available from the App Store.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by garyi

Plex will do this (free))

Roon will do this (very expensive)

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Peakman

I use VLC for exactly this purpose.  I have Minimserver on my NAS and the VLC app gives me essentially the same experience as the Naim app, for searching through my music and finding and then playing the tracks I want to listen to.  I believe it can also play FLAC files stored e.g. in the Dropbox cloud and downloaded to the phone, but I have not yet tried this.  BTW it's free.

Roger

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Alley Cat
blythe posted:

MusicStreamer app - not very expensive and seems to work fine. Available from the App Store.

Will take a peek thanks.

garyi posted:

Thanks garyi

Do you need a Plex account?  Fairly sure I have the app somewhere in my iOS purchases but gave up with it and XBMC years ago.  Free is always good :-)

I have Roon and that's certainly one option but needs the Core as an intermediary - the playback thing is actually something I want for my daughter, and while I've put Roon on her iPhone I don't always have my Roon Core running as I multi-boot the Mac mini with different macOS versions.  I wish Roon would allow multiple Core installations even if it only allowed one to be used at a time.

Peakman posted:

I use VLC for exactly this purpose.  I have Minimserver on my NAS and the VLC app gives me essentially the same experience as the Naim app, for searching through my music and finding and then playing the tracks I want to listen to.  I believe it can also play FLAC files stored e.g. in the Dropbox cloud and downloaded to the phone, but I have not yet tried this.  BTW it's free.

Roger

Didn't think of good old VLC, yet another option to consider - thanks Peakman.

I have a few versions of Infuse on iOS/tvOS devices and they are good at video playback from the NAS and can download local copies of files.  I don't think they offer audio playback, but I may be wrong - if anyone knows differently please let me know!

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by ChrisSU

VLC does this well for me, too. Free, and very easy to set up. 

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Peter-C

Apart from VLC and MusicStreamer, both of which are fine, you could try the mconnect or foobar2000 apps. Alternatively, if you happen to be running LMS as your server, iPeng has a very nice UI. There is an in-app purchase option which allows the iPhone to be used as a player. 

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by garyi
Alley Cat posted:
garyi posted:

Thanks garyi

Do you need a Plex account?  Fairly sure I have the app somewhere in my iOS purchases but gave up with it and XBMC years ago.  Free is always good :-)

I have Roon and that's certainly one option but needs the Core as an intermediary - the playback thing is actually something I want for my daughter, and while I've put Roon on her iPhone I don't always have my Roon Core running as I multi-boot the Mac mini with different macOS versions.  I wish Roon would allow multiple Core installations even if it only allowed one to be used at a time.

Hi Allycat. You need a plex account, i.e. sign up with plex but you don't need 'plex pass' which is a monthly charge for new features, the free account is fine.

However you need to run a plex server, so firstly check around in the nas that it can install plex (They usually can to be fair)

The reason I mention plex is when you are out and about you can still access that music as long as you have network on your phone, and you can also 'download' music to your phone from within plex much like tidal allows. Tidal is also available within plex now giving you a 'roon' like experience out and about.

Whilst this is not the answer to your original question because its not using UPNP to do this, its is an extremely robust system with a pretty interface.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Alley Cat
Peter-C posted:

Apart from VLC and MusicStreamer, both of which are fine, you could try the mconnect or foobar2000 apps. Alternatively, if you happen to be running LMS as your server, iPeng has a very nice UI. There is an in-app purchase option which allows the iPhone to be used as a player. 

Thanks Peter - nice to have all these options!  Currently not using LMS though.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Alley Cat
garyi posted:
Alley Cat posted:
garyi posted:

Thanks garyi

Hi Allycat. You need a plex account, i.e. sign up with plex but you don't need 'plex pass' which is a monthly charge for new features, the free account is fine.

However you need to run a plex server, so firstly check around in the nas that it can install plex (They usually can to be fair)

The reason I mention plex is when you are out and about you can still access that music as long as you have network on your phone, and you can also 'download' music to your phone from within plex much like tidal allows. Tidal is also available within plex now giving you a 'roon' like experience out and about.

Whilst this is not the answer to your original question because its not using UPNP to do this, its is an extremely robust system with a pretty interface.

Thanks for the update - I don't think my old WD will allow Plex to run (officially anyway) but will check.