Rega fono conections

Posted by: Smithfire on 27 December 2018

Hi Peeps

Hope everyone has had a lovely  Christmas!

I'm wondering if anyone could describe the connections between a Rega planar 6, a Rega fono mm stage and a Nait 3?....and does one need any leads that are not supplied with the said stage?

Many thanks

Clive

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Clive, you will need an interconnect to connect the Rega Fono to the NAIT 3. 

Out of interest, why the choice of Rega Fono over the Naim NA522 phono boards? 

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Your Nait presumably has no phono boards fitted, in which case you could use the 2 x RCA input for the Fono. Otherwise, use a DIN input, in which case you need a 2 x RCA to 5 pin DIN lead. 

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Smithfire

Hi Richard

The 522's have a rather closed in sound....the soundstage is also quite diminutive.

Do the leads run from the deck to the fono, then another set of leads from the fono to the Naits phono sockets?

Clive

Yes, I guess if you're running a Rega MM then the match with the Naim boards is not the best - as you say, a bit "closed in". Cartridges with a brighter and and more expansive sound balance best with the Naim MM boards.

Yes, tonearm leads from deck to Fono, then interconnect from the Fono to the NAIT3. A Din input would be my preference, but at this level you're probably fine using the RCA phonos, just so long as it's still set to line level or has NA526 link boards fitted.

I take it the 5 pin din input to the fono would be better than using the phono sockets then?

Clive

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by ghgwefdsags

They should be equivalent, provided that the phono sockets have had their corresponding phono boards removed. If the phono boards are still present, then you would need to use a DIN input.

All else being equal, a DIN always trumps RCA phono as the better connector. See the FAQ for details. 

Thanks guys.....any recommendations for a goodish din?

Clive

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Richard Dane

It may not look like much, but I think the standard Naim RCA Phono to DIN interconnect is excellent (pictured below).  Otherwise, Chord would be a good bet. Just ensure it's RCA Phono at Source end.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Smithfire

Thanks Richard.....Ive got a chord company lead just like that I can use!

Clive

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Sounds like you're good to go then Clive.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Matteo
Richard Dane posted:

It may not look like much, but I think the standard Naim RCA Phono to DIN interconnect is excellent (pictured below).  Otherwise, Chord would be a good bet. Just ensure it's RCA Phono at Source end.

I bought this cable (€ 145 shipped) a month ago and extensively compared it with a Linn Silver RCA on my NAC 152 XS.

My conclusion is that it's well worth the cost.

M.

Just as a side note....which of the inputs would you use for the deck?. The deck now being the only source.

I seem to remember someone saying the cd input was the best for sound quality.

Clive

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Christopher_M
Smithfire posted:

Ive got a chord company lead just like that I can use!

So how does it all sound then Clive? Have you fired her up?

C.

Not yet Chris....the phono stage is due on Monday, but im really looking forward to it!

The Nait 3 really has tbe capacity to suprise and delight so Im hoping a new phono stage will unlocked a new side to the rega planar 6!

Clive