Floorstanders Speakers for Nova

Posted by: Cemil on 28 December 2018

There was an earlier thread regarding speakers for Nova, but it didn't really answer my question.

I am setting up a system in a second home and want to try stay under (or as close to) 10k euro as possible. System will only be fed by Roon as a source (running on a Mac Mini). I want to keep the boxes to a minimum, so am considering a Nova. Other possibilities are the Hegel 360 or the Devialet 140.

Current speaker choices are: B&W 702S2, Focal Kanta 2 (that will push the budget up, but is recommended by Naim), the Magnepan 1.7i or the Martin-Logan ESL X (or Classic at higher budget).

My main is concern is whether the Nova has enough power to drive the planners (Maggie or ML). I would appreciate any advice on this.  Also if there are any other speakers I should consider. Room size is about 25-30 sqm, reasonably square. Music is mostly jazz and partying levels not required.

Fyi, I've lived with Maggies 3.5 for about 10 years and loved them. Current main system is based on Magico Q5, which I found to be nearly as 'boxless' as the Maggies.

Thank you and Happy Holidays

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Mike Sullivan

I run Totem Forest Signatures with my Nova and love that combination. I’m not familiar with the other speakers, but maybe you could compare specs. The Nova packs a good weight and I think its an awesome all-in-one solution.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by John L F

Although not floor standers listen to Dynaudio Special 40s. Work brilliantly with Nova.

If you need floor standers Dynaudio Confidence 30 or 60 are very good.

Not a Dynaudio rep just like the sound they make.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Cemil

Thank you. The Confidence 30 and 60 are way over budget. I had heard the top of the range Dynaudio (one of the Evidences) and it was spectacular.

The Special 40s are within budget - but I would definitely prefer a floor stander.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by John L F

Like you I was looking for floor standers to go with my Nova.

However the Special 40s were a lot better than any floor standers I heard in their price range.

They are aptly named and look good in grey on Dynaudio stands.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by EnglishRogue

I can also attest to the quality of the Dynaudio Special Forty speakers. The Dynaudio-branded stands are pricey though. I have mine on Atacama stands which better match the shed-work appearance of the Naim amp.

The Dynaudio distributor was visiting my dealer when I stopped by to pay for the speakers. He intimated the the Special Forty model might have a limited availability moving forward. I get the impression Dynaudio are regretting their generous pricing of this model ;-)

Roguishly..

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by RaceTripper

You could always integrate a REL sub with the Special 40s. They won't be floorstanders, but might be a better sounding compromise in your budget.

But I do understand the desire to have floorstanders. I cannot see myself going back to monitors.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by varyat

Nothing beats cabinet volume....

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by RaceTripper
varyat posted:

Nothing beats cabinet volume....

That's why I have large speakers. I listen to a lot of orchestral music and monitors are just not satisfying enough. I'll bet [or wonder if] the new Confidence 20 with a pair of REL S-SHO subs could give floorstanders a run for the money.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by crackie
Cemil posted:

Thank you. The Confidence 30 and 60 are way over budget. I had heard the top of the range Dynaudio (one of the Evidences) and it was spectacular.

The Special 40s are within budget - but I would definitely prefer a floor stander.

The Contour 30 or 60 should be well within your 10,000 EURO budget, The Confidence (C2 or C4) is well over.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by RaceTripper
John L F posted:

Although not floor standers listen to Dynaudio Special 40s. Work brilliantly with Nova.

If you need floor standers Dynaudio Confidence 30 or 60 are very good.

Not a Dynaudio rep just like the sound they make.

At the moment there are only one pair of each of the new Confidence worldwide, which is what are seen at shows. The 30s and 60s (and 20s and 50s) won't be available until Q2 next year. They are also more expensive than the outgoing C1/C2/C4 series.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by lol750

Dynaudio excite X38  with nova????