How frequently and how many times to unplug interconnects? And occasional swtiching off?

Posted by: JimDog on 28 December 2018

I understand that one should occasionally unplug interconnects and speaker cables and plug them back in several times in order to clean and refresh the contact between metal plugs and sockets.

1. How often should I do this?

2. How many times should I unplug and replug in a row to clean the contacts?

3. I also understand that it is desireable occasionally to switch off Naim boxes. As I must switch off the boxes in order to perform the above steps, will that do it? (In addition, I should switch the boxes off when lightening is forecast.)

4. And is it a good idea to switch off the system when on holiday? This will save energy and reduce the chance of a fire, but will it  also be good for long term SQ to give the amps an occasional 'rest' - or does it have no long term effect on SQ?

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Jonners

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on this Jimdog. I had my system for 12 years and never cleaned my contacts once but I've read a lot of posts on here from members who plug and unplug everything once a year as routine maintenance. Two-Three times in succession seems to be what folks do to shake off any possible corrosion so that's what I'm doing now.

I never used to worry about electrical storms and so on until I threw out my 6-way block with surge protection for a "hydra" cable. I will absolutely take the plug out of the wall when a storm is forecast, just makes good sense as is turning everything off when going on holiday - who knows what could happen so it's better to be safe than sorry IMHO. Can't say whether SQ would be affected but that would be the last of my worries if I were to come back from 2 weeks in Skeggy to either find my flat gutted or a component has malfunctioned and taken something else down with it because I wasn't there to intervene. These are probably "piece of string" questions so I'm sure other members will have different thoughts and opinions.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by ChrisSU

I'm told that DIN plugs are designed so that the pins are scraped clean by inserting them, and that once is probably sufficient. RCAs, bananas, mains plugs etc. probably a few more times.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Japtimscarlet

Every six months for plug and unplug should be fine

Five or six times is plenty

As you say...switc swit off to do this covers any need for a "restart" of the system

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Rich 1

Before considering an upgrade, equipment or leads, always, always unplug all connections, mains and signal several times. That way you're not comparing clean and dirty connections rather than equipment. I often wonder how many supposed upgrades for the better are due to the fact that new equipment and leads present clean electrical connections? Rich 

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Robiwan

no need for with Linn Majik DSM, no off sounding days

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Mike-B

Unplug everything once or maybe twice a year, when all the boxes need a deep clean all over dust.     Don’t plug them in & out more than once,  the one unplug/replug action re-scores a new clean metal to metal contact,  doing it more than once doesn’t do it better it just wears out the contacts faster. 

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

I don’t do the unplugging as such, didn’t realize it might be beneficial. The switching off happens in summer time a bit more then wanted due to thunderstorms, in winter I tend to do it once if I think about it. It has a positive impact on the agility of the sound, especially the 500 needs switching on and off every soo many months, otherwise it get’s less agile.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Rich 1

Mike, out of curiosity why do the dealers when they install new equipment such as 272 and 250DR plug and unplug the mains plugs a dozen times or more? I did notice that he only did this to the din plugs a couple of times. I think that may have been just to dress the cables differently though. 

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Mike-B
Rich 1 posted:

Mike, out of curiosity why do the dealers when they install new equipment such as 272 and 250DR plug and unplug the mains plugs a dozen times or more? I did notice that he only did this to the din plugs a couple of times. I think that may have been just to dress the cables differently though. 

No idea, although I did have DIN plugs in mind.   With mains plugs & especially those at a dealers where the more frequent than normal plug in's & out's would give well polished contacts, it's kinda pointless.   So why do it ??   maybe they think it impresses the customer.   

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Stephen Tate

The only time I do the unplug and re-plug ALL connections is when i'm introducing a new component or cable etc... I believe that unplugging and re-plugging too many times can actually have an adverse effect such as wearing out the contacts and an even more of a build up of crud from wear & tear. Like all things in life it's best to do things in moderation.