Artwork not displaying in Naim App...

Posted by: Judge on 28 December 2018

Until yesterday morning everything was working perfectly on both ND5XS and Mu-So Qb.  Then I ripped a couple of CDs my wife had for Christmas to the NAS and now the artwork doesn't display in the app for any of our albums, not just the recently added ones.  Everything else works fine; internet radio and streaming from the NAS or Tidal (which does have artwork).

The artwork files are present, and appear in the Synology audio player app locally and when accessed from a remote access audio app on my iPhone.

Normally if artwork is missing, it is only for recently added or edited album files, and reindexing then reinstalling the app restores its appearance.  This hasn't worked this time around.  

I have tried reindexing followed by reinstalling the app several times on both IOS and Android devices, switching off the ND5XS, disconnecting data cable and mains cable, then restarting, clearing the caches in the app, restarting the NAS drive, and powering down and restarting the NAS drive.  

Nothing has improved the situation.  I cannot think what else to do!  The only thing that has changed is that for other reasons I initiated two-factor authentication on my Apple devices, but I cannot think why that would cause just the artwork to not display; as I say above, music streams just fine and the issue affects the app on a non-Apple device.

The NAS is a Synology DS216j with two WD 3TB RED disks in Synology's RAID configuration and has all current updates installed.

Any ideas as to what to try next?

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Mike-B

You've tried everything I would normally do when my Synology does not show art (clearing caches, re-indexing & power cycling) - I assume you are still getting the blue double quaver logo ???.       You don't say what DNLA/UPnP media server you're using,  if its the Synology 'Media Server'  its not the brightest bulb in the box,  but it should still display a playing album cover OK.     If it was an app problem,  it would not be the same on both apps & have both iOS & Android devices stop showing art at the same time.     Like I say you've tried all my usual fixes.  So whats different?  I haven't a clue what two-factor authentication will do,  so the first thing I would do is turn it off. 

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by David Hendon

I really doubt it’s anything to do with 2FA on Apple devices. I turned this on a month ago when I upgraded my phone and pressed yes by mistake instead of no (!) and it has had zero impact on the Naim app.

In these very odd situations where most internet-connected stuff works properly, but one device doesn’t, I always recommend turning it all off and the restarting the router (this is the key point), then when the router has restarted fully, turn everything else back on again.

best

David

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Mike-B

Indeed David,  I'm just trying to be logical & go backwards to before the change point.

Turning it all off & back on again also needs to be done correctly.  The router should be left off until the ISP has logged its gone off line, 5 minutes is probably OK.   After the router restart it should complete the whole restart sequence before powering up the other devices,  then each separately, one at a time.

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Judge

Thanks folks.  I haven't tried resetting the router (turning off etc.), but that sounds like a good option, so I'll give that a go next, and I note the guidance on the sequence and timing.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Judge

Sadly that hasn't worked.  All I continue to get is a dark square with a dark grey outline of the file icon...

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Mike-B

Sorry about that,  I have to say I was not so convinced its router or network related.    I'm still favouring a confusion factor or something in a link or software in the NAS as both iOS & Android apps are affected.  I'm not ruling out the two-factor authentication getting into the fault causing mix.      You have not said what DLNA/UPnP media server you have on the Synology,  their own 'Media Server' or the pre-installed 3rd party Minimserver + Java.   Whatever one you use,  have you tried un-installing it, power cycling the Synology & then reinstalling.     Whilst on the subject of Synology what other programs do you have running,  whatever I've always found to be best kept to a minim.   

I'm now going off line, back tomorrow.   Best of luck I'll look in again when I get back l

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Bart

As Mike B says...tell us what server app you're using on your nas, and whether more than one server app is running.  Things CAN get confused if more than one DLNA app is running at the same time. And some are just wonkier than others. 

Here's a thought -- be sure that both the iOS and Android Naim apps (and Synology apps) are not running at the same time. The Naim iOS app won't work on more than one device at a time, but I've never used the Android app.  In general, the troubleshooting technique is to minimize what's running . . . I'm thinking that if you have multiple apps all pinging that server, at least one of them won't get all the data.  Shut down ALL the remote device apps, restart the server, and use JUST the Naim iOS app on ONE device.  Worth a shot.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by David Hendon

Mike the 2FA is only a factor if you want to add or delete an apple product from your Apple ID account. It isn’t used on a day to day basis at all.

best

David

Thanks, yes should have mentioned, it’s the media server that came with the Synology.  It’s been fine till now, and I’ve not wanted to get into other products for fear of messing things up!

I’ll see if I can uninstall then reinstall it.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Bart
Judge posted:

Thanks, yes should have mentioned, it’s the media server that came with the Synology.  It’s been fine till now, and I’ve not wanted to get into other products for fear of messing things up!

I’ll see if I can uninstall then reinstall it.

and then connect just ONE app to it

Reinstalling the Media Server has resolved the issue.  App now displaying artwork on IOS and Android (iPad and Samsung Galaxy phone).

Thank you all for your assistance.

Investigating Minimserver...

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by gert

Maybe the problem has to do with a new version of the media server that recently came in? Do you have automatic package updates activated? Myabe you can switch the profile for the naim app in the media server‘s settings?

Does your synology package center offer minimserver? You could try this as an alternative. It can be installed side by side with the media server. 

As far as I know Media Server is up to date, but I run the updates as I see them.  

I haven’t checked whether Minimserver is in the package centre yet.

in the meantime, normality is restored and Joe B is giving it some Live from nowhere in Particular...

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Mike-B
   Judge posted:

Reinstalling the Media Server has resolved the issue.  App now displaying artwork on IOS and Android (iPad and Samsung Galaxy phone).

Thank you all for your assistance.

Investigating Minimserver...

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Mike-B

Minimserver is a lot smarter & faster media server than the Synology software. Its a bit of a faff to install needing Java  to get it loaded on the NAS & then MinimWatch to view & operate on your ‘poota, but once installed it is one of the best available.     Keep an eye open for Asset UPnP for Synology,  it’s in development at the mo,  I’m on the beta testing prog,  it’s as good / better than Minim.  

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Judge

MinimServer is available as a package download.  Since the DS216j has an AMv7 processor it doesn’t need Java separately; the correct MinimServer download has the necessary Java elements included, apparently...