Help! I hav no idea wha happening

Posted by: Joviphang on 29 December 2018

I have try test all ways. I though was only one of my speaker cone is behaving weird lately.

but Sound is ok.  when not play any music. The system power on. it still moving and 

There slight bang sound.I tried swap the speakers. tried swap cables n tested on another cables. it move from speaker to another . It only happens to either one speaker 

I turn off everything n waited for a week. and is gone after. i turn back up. And it came back after playing for 10hrs. There is three hrs on with no playing.

My system-  Guru qm10, naim speaker cable, ndx?nap200?nac202, hi cap, napsc & xps

Pls take a look the link- speaker video

https://drive.google.com/file/...yB/view?usp=drivesdk

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by hifi-dog

I’d unplug that quick and get the amps looked at pronto!

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by TOBYJUG

Looks like its run too loud and bottoming out.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Joviphang

nope. nvr even turn to a quarter before.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Reminds me of warped vinyl...

With it happening the way you describe it sounds to me like an amp fault, most likely the power amp, happening only when the amp is warmed up fully- but you can easily chack. Firstly, to confirm so far: it is from just one speaker, and I assume it happens with all music. When you swapped cables and it changed speakers, I assume you mean you simply swapped the cables at one end, so that the speakers were connected to the opposite channel. If this is correct then try the following:-

Swap the interconnects at the NAP200 input. If it stays the on the same speaker it suggests the NAP200 is faulty (or possibly its power supply).

If it swaps channels the 200 is OK so try the same thing on the preamp input: if it stays on the same speaker the preamp is faulty (or possibly its power supply).

If it swaps sipeakers then the NDX is faulty (or possibly its power supply). 

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by yeti42

Not sure you can swap the power amp inputs, they’re on a DIN plug. You can try with the hicap off and see if it still happens, that would isolate it to the power amp and if it stops it’s somewhere up stream. 

it can happen to either speakers if i swap the speaker cables. but if only one speaker is playing it won’t happen. I did bring down the speaker cable to test. it tested fine.

ok I try the interconnectors. I actually on a waiting list to get the technician to drop by to take a look. But it been two wks past, yet no arrangement made. no idea wha to do with it.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Japtimscarlet

I had exactly the same issue some while ago ...but only on vinyl

Ended up being a faulty cartridge after a lot of mess around and false leads..

It may have been a kind of low rumble coming through...but weird it was always the left channel...never the right 

u right my always on the left. even i switch the cable n speakers. amp left channel don know wha happen.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

I had exactly your set up 202/Napsc/HC/200 into QM10 Mk1 and the driver eventually blew. Guru informed me that the QM10 didn't like loud levels in rooms with high ceilings whatever that means but the amp played fine with my next speakers and was sold to someone I know who still has it now.

I have to say that though Guru make some great speakers the product that I owned and my experience of them as a company didn't fill me with confidence and I personally wouldn't buy their speakers again.

I know mine is an isolated incident and there are many happy owners out there and your problem does seem to point to the amp so I would strongly advise you to not to use them until a professional has a look as I ended up selling mine for a third of what I paid to a guy who just wanted the cabs.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by sls

Press the Mute button on the NAC 202. If fluctuations in dynamics will stop, then the fault NAC 202, if not, blame the NAP 200. The Mute short-circuits to ground the signal at the output of the NAC 202.
I've had similar with NAC 282. There was a broken output capacitor.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Joviphang

Thanks i try. Really hope that the tech ppl will come down soon

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Bart
Joviphang posted:

Naim tech support do not monitor this forum -- but you're getting excellent advice here already!  

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Richard Dane
Joviphang posted:

Your first port of call for help is your dealer.  Otherwise you can contact Naim tech support by phone or email, but bear in mind that they won't be back in the office until after the Christmas and New Year holidays and will likely have quite a big backlog of enquiries from over the holiday to work through.