Naim Atom - HDMI "No input signal"

Posted by: Coral on 29 December 2018

Hi to all, 

I am having issues with HDMI on my Naim ATOM: HDMI is enabled and connected via HDMI cable to my TV (Samsung), but no sound comes from it. Display on Atom says "HDMI No Input signal". TV is connected via HDMI ARC port and Naim is visible on the TV if I switch to this HDMI port so obviously it is connected but if I want to hear music and switch sound from TV speakers to HDMI, I cannot do it as Naim says No input signal .

I tried changing different cables and even tried with Google Chromecast but it always displays No Input signal.   

Anyone has an idea how to get sound from TV to be played via HDMI on my Naim Atom?

Thanks for support 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Check that the TV set to output 2 channel PCM. The DAC in the Atom is not a multichannel type, so can't accept a multichannel digital bitstream signal.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by ChrisSU

The first thing to check is, as Richard says, that the TV is set to output PCM. 

Is your Atom firmware up to date? I found HDMI performance to be unreliable on some earlier versions, but for me it seems to be OK at the moment. 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Coral

Thanks for feedback. 

Samsung TV is set to PCM and my Atom says it has latest upgrade (2.6.1.9794) but no input still. 

I tried connecting Google Chromecast in HDMI and it was receiving sound from my mobile but Atom said No input si I think the issue is not with TV but with Atom

Any other ideas?

I’m not sure what you mean by connecting Chromecast in HDMI? The Naim implementation is purely using HDMI ARC to play the sound output from a TV which also has an HDMI ARC output. (As opposed to just a regular HDMI port which won’t work.)

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Coral

I have connected Atom on HDMI ARC port on my TV and it says No input signal. Then to check if maybe the issue is in TV I tried disconnecting TV and connecting Google Chromecast Ultra device to HDMI port of Atom (so TV is not connected and sound should be coming from Google Chromecast ultra as an externally connected device) but Atom again says No input signal. 

I’m pretty sure you won’t get sound from a Chromecast to play straight into the Atom as it’s got a regular HDMI output, not HDMI ARC. Not that this gets you any closer to sorting out your issue, maybe one for your dealer or Naim support.