Is The Naim DAC discontinued?

Posted by: JazzDocNaim on 29 December 2018

I'm aware of the rumouets surrounding the discontinuation of the original Naim Audio DAC. I looked on the website and the V1 is there but not the original. Can someone please confirm that the original DAC is no longer offered to customers and whether existing owners (Like me!) should have any concerns regarding service and/or repair.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by ChrisSU

The NDAC is indeed discontinued. Given Naim’s track record on servicing old kit, I doubt this would be an issue. 

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by audio1946

it had a good run, I had one of the first batch.   it was before xmax   guess 2010/11 . Its long gone .

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

I would think that given the success of the Ndac and other non Naim Dacs that a new up to date Dac from Naim is a real possibility.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Mike1951

Maybe, but I found a pre-loved on eBay.

Slotted it in. Pretty damn magnificent... ????????????

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by djh1697
ChrisSU posted:

The NDAC is indeed discontinued. Given Naim’s track record on servicing old kit, I doubt this would be an issue. 

They can no longer provide replacement lasers for certain CD players, and some parts for the CD555 cannot be replaced. Servicing maybe a thing that they can, but providing spare parts? I believe other companies have similar issues too, it is not just Naim by the way.

Linn can no longer service/repair some of there earlier LP12 'upgrades' but there are people else where who can? 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Claus-Thoegersen

As I understand it the dac chip used in Ndac is the same used in the new nd555, and Naim has been forced to keep chips in reserve for the nd555 and current dac owners, so this may be part of the reason why Ndac is discontinued. It will be really interesting to see what the next digital device from Naim will be, and when it will be available.

Claus