naim highline cable

Posted by: Richard walker on 30 December 2018

Hello Forum. 

I have just bought a used NDX to go with my Supernait 2 and I must say it is great. The seller offered me a highline interconnect cable which apparently "works" but one of the rings is defective. He will allow me to try it. Is it expensive (or even possible to repair) this kind of cable. He says the sound difference it fairly substantial. Thanks for replies.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by SamClaus

They all end up with a defective ring (mine did) - and, no, it's not supposed to "work" with that kind of fault... Naim will repair them without charge, but as you're buying second-hand, I'm not sure they will. Perhaps the seller could have it repaired?

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Gazza
SamClaus posted:

They all end up with a defective ring (mine did) - and, no, it's not supposed to "work" with that kind of fault... Naim will repair them without charge, but as you're buying second-hand, I'm not sure they will. Perhaps the seller could have it repaired?

My understanding repair is free for the original purchaser, buyer beware.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

If the rings are damaged, then almost certainly so will the physical decoupling, which is largely what Hilines are about...

As said above Naim have always, via my dealer, repaired any damage I might  have caused to the rings.. but I bought my cables new via my dealer.

So it might be best to get the seller to arrange the repair.. if it’s legit it shouldn’t cost them much if anything, but a little time..

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Popeye

The HiLine is a big upgrade in my opinion between the NDX and Supernait2 and worth considering 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Sloop John B

I certainly noticed an improvement initially with my hiline but after time I felt it could sound “off”, depending on how it was hanging, whether I’d destressed it correctly or whenever atmospheric pressure was above 1000 (I jest). 

Depending on what price is being asked I’d check out True Signal cables. Plug and play, and they sound very good to these aged ears. 

.sjb

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by hastings

If you can see the rings are "off" then the performance will be "off" as well.  Repair is a must.  It is a great cable, but its fragility makes it hard to recommend.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by northpole

When I added a hi-line to my cds3 it produced a fantastic improvement on the standard naim din-din cable.  Absolute night and day improvement in sound.  I also got an rca-din version for my record player.  Would I buy another one?  Not a chance.  Both of mine failed.  The design of the connectors is verging on latent defect territory, hence naim kindly offer free repairs.  In my opinion the weight of the cable imposes a load on the coupling which, over time, will make it fail.  Such a shame that a V2 hi-line hasn't been produced to address this failing.  Some would say that the super line addresses this defect, but at one heck of a premium.  For peace of mind, it may be worth the extra.

If the seller is prepared to have the cable repaired via naim;  provided you have the tolerance to eventually have to face a repair at some future date;  and provided you can purchase it at a significant discount; it may be worth having a hi-line.  It genuinely provides a huge uplift in sound quality (or at least it did with my system).  I have bitten the bullet and moved on to Sarum T interconnects, others are available.

Peter

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by northpole

Ooops!  For super line please read super lumina....!!

Peter

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

I disagree with Northpole, my Highlines remain robust over time.. there appears no strain at all with hanging cables... ok that is only over 5 years.. but that is quite a time to see if there is an issue, and the Highline that connects to my Hugo gets some frequent movement, and appears absolutely fine.. no strain or distortion of the cable suspension rings... again that is over severeal years.

The one time I needed one of my Highlines repaired was purely down to user error when I was fiddling around moving boxes without disconnecting all the cables... totally my silly fault.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Stephen Tate

Mmm...funny. I've had my Hi-Line over three years now and it has never broken a plastic ring. It has however broken an earth connection twice and it's the same old wire too. Very strange. I'm very careful with all of my cables and treat them with the upmost of care. Yet, the same old earth connection keeps on breaking - I know it will cost me but I have now given my hi-Line to my dealer and insisted they send it back to Naim for repair. I'm now using my lavender/grey interconnect in the meantime and although the music is still sounding rather good, i'm quietly yearning for my Hi-Line.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by SamClaus
northpole posted:

When I added a hi-line to my cds3 it produced a fantastic improvement on the standard naim din-din cable.  Absolute night and day improvement in sound.  I also got an rca-din version for my record player.  Would I buy another one?  Not a chance.  Both of mine failed.  The design of the connectors is verging on latent defect territory, hence naim kindly offer free repairs.  In my opinion the weight of the cable imposes a load on the coupling which, over time, will make it fail.  Such a shame that a V2 hi-line hasn't been produced to address this failing.  Some would say that the super line addresses this defect, but at one heck of a premium.  For peace of mind, it may be worth the extra.

Peter

I totally agree; I knew about the possible defect, and was always extremely careful when plugging in and unplugging the HiLine. One morning I found one of the couplings had failed... no obvious cause.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Aric
northpole posted:

If the seller is prepared to have the cable repaired via naim;  provided you have the tolerance to eventually have to face a repair at some future date;  and provided you can purchase it at a significant discount; it may be worth having a hi-line.  It genuinely provides a huge uplift in sound quality (or at least it did with my system).  I have bitten the bullet and moved on to Sarum T interconnects, others are available.

Peter

Exactly. I can't understand why Naim (knowingly) continue to produce a highly defective product. 

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Japtimscarlet

Would you say a cartridge is a bad design because the cantilever can easily be damaged?

No ...we accept it has to be fragile to sound it's best ..and accept it as such

The same could be said for the hi-line ..you just have to be gentle with it 

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by SamClaus
Japtimscarlet posted:

The same could be said for the hi-line ..you just have to be gentle with it 

Being gentle with it is not enough - you shouldn't even look at it... and the Hi-Line (good though it is) is the only cable that has that kind of problem - all cartridges are fragile, by definition.

I have to admit I sold my hi-line 

Not because it was fragile ( it was) but because I preferred a different brand of cable in the end.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Sounsfaber

Egg shell = hiline

the older ones didn’t have serial number the newer ones do. Must be free hanging must have all rings intact to get the full benefits.  An amazing interconnect for the money. New or 2nd hand imo.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

Mine is off for repair - in the interim I might try a SL

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by northpole
Sounsfaber posted:

Egg shell = hiline

the older ones didn’t have serial number the newer ones do. Must be free hanging must have all rings intact to get the full benefits.  An amazing interconnect for the money. New or 2nd hand imo.

The same was often said about the Porsche 996/ 997 Gen 1 engine - amazing performance and sound for the money until it turned into a  proverbial chocolate tea pot.  It was largely the uncertainty of when or if they may individually fail which earned them their poor reputation and hugely dented residuals.  Perhaps there was a ‘Gen 2’ hi-line with slightly more robust construction than the earlier examples I experienced?

Peter

Perhaps there was a ‘Gen 2’ hi-line with slightly more robust construction than the earlier examples I experienced?

Peter

I believe later ones had stronger plastic "clips" that hold the flexible plastic ends

Not sure this makes them less likely to come apart ..which they do easily...but does make them less likely to be permanently broken and have to go back to the factory for repair

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by feeling_zen

I can't say my HiLine of 5 years has ever given me problems during the 6 system rebuilds done in the same time.

Being plastic, the rings may be subject to perishing and becoming brittle but I have yet to see any sign of that.

It's a great cable. Remember, it was designed for and shipped with the CD555.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Sounsfaber
northpole posted:
Sounsfaber posted:

Egg shell = hiline

The same was often said about the Porsche 996/ 997 Gen 1 engine - amazing performance and sound for the money until it turned into a  proverbial chocolate tea pot.  It was largely the uncertainty of when or if they may individually fail which earned them their poor reputation and hugely dented residuals.  Perhaps there was a ‘Gen 2’ hi-line with slightly more robust construction than the earlier examples I experienced?

Peter

Hi Peter, I’ve had mine repaired a couple of times. Got a bit ruff trying to get it into an old olive din socket which seem to be a little tighter than the black boxes. Repairs were done for free, I just felt I needed to pay the postage just because my fault. What I can tell you is that I’ve never herd a better interconnect on a naim box period and I’ve herd a few Including naims SL interconnect! The hiline is just inlightening. I once herd it a/b’d on a CD 555 into 552/500 system  against a $5000 (I can’t remember the name of it) interconnect(RCA) , it was some super special magnetic job with something to do with single core ‘yada yada yada. The invited  retailer was trying to better the hiline and pretty much left with his tail between his legs and he knew it. On the same system I’ve herd the hiline when it was resting on a Burndy which render it as good as an old lavender interconnect, once it was rectified it became “just jaw dropping”.  So important to be setup correctly, yes egg shell but it’s not that hard to be gentle? 

never ever hold by the rings, just gently  insert into socket by the main body but leave about 1to 2 mm from the din face to the shoulder of the hiline, same at other end, box of fluffy ducks mate, golden  goose even???? it the last cable to setup in your system btw.

before the SL fans put 2 cents in. I laugh in amazement at SL cable and interconnects. Yes I have played with them a lot,  but  never ever have I been taken by them, Just kills the flame and turns naim into hifi. Hey thats my opinion ???? 

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Simon-in-Suffolk
feeling_zen posted:

I can't say my HiLine of 5 years has ever given me problems during the 6 system rebuilds done in the same time.

Being plastic, the rings may be subject to perishing and becoming brittle but I have yet to see any sign of that.

It's a great cable. Remember, it was designed for and shipped with the CD555.

Exactly, the Hiline is relatively robust given its construction and infinitely more robust than my turntable cartridge and stylus, and as robust as my suspended chassis Naim platforms .. there really is no issue with it all, it’s an amazing bit of kit... handled properly, and that doesn’t mean you need to treat it overly delicately,  it should last a lifetime... unless you expose the cable to direct sunlight over severeal years, as with most plastics, I can’t see it going brittle either.

Sure I wouldn’t use one in a car or where there was frequent vibration or frequent tugging / straining of the cables, but that is not the environment it’s built for, with possible exception of the phono to phono version.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Klout10

Maybe I'm the only one, but I think that - despite the fact that this cable provides excellent sound quality - I still can't believe that Naim puts a cable on the market that is sooo vulnarable ...

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Stephen Tate

I must admit that even though the Hi-Line does indeed bring improved performance to my basic system I still can't help feeling that my confidence with it has been knocked. Mine has been well cared for and it still managed to break from a connecting DIN pin. Surely Naim would put a 'mod' in place to rectify such problems by now? I now suspect a lot of folk get their Hi-Lines repaired only to move them on to the next potential victim before the same thing happening again. Shame, I really like how this cable sounds...

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Klout10

That's exactly what I did eventually: got it repaired and sold it ...