Pocket Camera

Posted by: Don Atkinson on 30 December 2018

Dropped the Leica D-Lux 4 a few days ago. It still takes pictures, but the screen is disengaged so I have no idea what I am pointing the camera towards. Time for a replacement !

My initial thought was a Leica Typ 109 but they seem to be on the way out and my recollection is they were a bit larger than the D-Lux 4. I really would like whatever I get, to be easily carried in a pocket. The D-Lux 4 was perfect.

I notice that Sony do a range of compact cameras eg Cyber-Shot RX100 IV. But on closer inspection there seems to be a wide variety of RX100 IV models.

So, Leica, or Cyber-Shot. And if Cyber Shot RX100, which version ?

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Tony Lockhart

I’d be going for a Sony, definitely. Off the top of my head the models still in the shops have differences above evolution. I ‘think’ the latest, MKVI? has a wider zoom range, but not such a large aperture. You’ll need to try before you buy to see whether it’s of concern.  

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Kevin-W

What's your budget Don?

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Don Atkinson
Kevin-W posted:

What's your budget Don?

About the price of the Typ 109, say £900 ?

But as with most things, there is flexibility, so perhaps £1k

I should add that, I normally use the camera for landscape photos whilst on long walks or backpacking in the Rockies and also for snapshots whilst flying.

I do have a Nikon D7200 plus an AF-S Nikkor 16-80mm 1.28 - 4E ED DX "zoom" lens. My artistic eye and creativity don't justify anything better !!!

But i do miss having that little Leica always in my pocket !

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by SamClaus

Not quite a pocket camera, but the Panasonic Lumix LX100 has had good reviews (Leica-designed lens, if it's a deciding factor for you). So has the Sony RX100VI. It's increasingly difficult to recommend a truly pocketable camera, as most of those in the market for a pocket camera will simply use their smartphones. A bit disappointing for committed photographers, but that's how it goes...

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by GraemeH

If you like full manual control and to have those controls at your fingertips (not embedded in menus) then the Typ 109 or LX100 Panaleica are hard to beat. I used the 109 until very recently after my M8 shutter spectacularly failed and liked it a lot.

You should find it a lot cheaper than £900 now.

G

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Mr Fjeld

Another vote for the Panasonic/Leica D-Lux. You are already familiar with the menus and how it works, and as Graeme points out it's also great for manual use (and auto of course..)

The Sony RX100 VI is considerably smaller and fits better in a pocket though and looks like a really great camera as well.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by JamieWednesday

I have a 109 but honestly I rarely use it as it’s not ‘little’ Pocketable if you know what I mean.

The Sonys seem to take very crisp images but many people seem unhappy with its usability and menus. Others will I’m sure be quite happy though. If you’re used to Leica/Panny, it may take some adapting.

My own zoom pocket camera of choice is my Canon G7X. Same size as little Sonys.  The images are more analogue looking than Sony to my mind, which I prefer. I find it very intuitive to use with benefit of touch and flip screen which I use surprisingly often (like a wlf). The Mk iii version is out soon with I guess their faster processor.

My most often used pocket camera however is my Ricoh GR ii. I’ve used these for years and imo are unbeatable. Very pocketable, fixed  28mm equiv. lens (good for landscapes), feels perfect in the hand,  has fully customisable buttons/menus, provides you with a larger apsc sensor and is in at half your budget. About to be replaced with something that looks not quite as good though, so maybe buy two!!!

Alternatively how about a D-Lux 6 off Fleabay?

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Kevin-W

Given that you're already familiar with the Pannyleicas, I'd also go for the Typ 109, and you'd have some dosh left over to buy some music.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Mulberry

Hi Don,

we have, truer would be my wife has, a Sony DSC HX60 V, which is a nice one. Quick to focus and the basic menus are understandable, at least coming from ancient Pentax models. Perhaps not a true pocket-sized model, but among those I still have to find one to beat my Olympus XA.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Popeye

The new all Zeiss is just about to come out, fixed 35mm I believe and looks fantastic!

Thank you all for your recommendations to date. They are all very helpful. I know I should respond to each post, but at present I am “absorbing” what each of you say. 

I won’t be able to get hands-on experience with any cameras until a few days after the New Year, and here in Newbury there is very little choice. I will probably find time to go up to London mid January and make a decision then.

Many thanks for your help so far.

Cheers, Don

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Popeye

Zeiss ZX1 is the model. Full frame, fixed 35mm. No idea in price however 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by notnaim man

ffordes have a new limited edition Dlux 6 for £595. Not as compact as a 4, but there is the 1.4 lens

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by tonym

If you're going to make a habit of dropping your camera Don, maybe you should consider something a bit more rugged. I spend a good bit of my time walking in the Lake District, where a drop or two of rain is not exactly unknown, neither is the occasional drop of a camera onto rocky stuff when scrambling around. The Olympus Tough TG5 I bought last year is waterproof, you can drop it from 2.1 metres without harm, it takes excellent photos, fits nicely in the pocket, and looks very posh in its red finish to boot.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

I have the Sony RX100 VI, if you can live with the speed of the lens it’s the best option. 200mm on such a small camera with so many options is unique.....

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Flachead

I received  a Panasonic TZ100 for Xmas, it is a great balance between size, zoom length and speed. It has pretty much everything I’ll ever need (as a novice fed up with lacklustre smartphone pics) and with a 1” sensor has great low light performance. And there is a cash back offer at the moment...

tonym posted:

If you're going to make a habit of dropping your camera Don,...........

..........I know. Last time I did manage to fix it myself !

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by French Rooster
Don Atkinson posted:

Dropped the Leica D-Lux 4 a few days ago. It still takes pictures, but the screen is disengaged so I have no idea what I am pointing the camera towards. Time for a replacement !

My initial thought was a Leica Typ 109 but they seem to be on the way out and my recollection is they were a bit larger than the D-Lux 4. I really would like whatever I get, to be easily carried in a pocket. The D-Lux 4 was perfect.

I notice that Sony do a range of compact cameras eg Cyber-Shot RX100 IV. But on closer inspection there seems to be a wide variety of RX100 IV models.

So, Leica, or Cyber-Shot. And if Cyber Shot RX100, which version ?

you can take the rx100 model 2 for a very price, new, on bay site.  I got mine and very satisfied!   

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Rich 1

Olympus make a number of very small and light cameras at a price with concertina lenses. All 4/3rd format. 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Christopher_M
Don Atkinson posted:

Dropped the Leica D-Lux 4 a few days ago. ....

Latter day Nikon FM required but pocket-sized!

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by michael17

I’d have a look at the Fujifilm xe-3.  Great quality, intuitive and high quality lenses.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Don Atkinson
Christopher_M posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

Dropped the Leica D-Lux 4 a few days ago. ....

Latter day Nikon FM required but pocket-sized!

Yes, dropped.

However, I had noticed for the past few months, that the screen would fail to show an image if I held the left hand side of the camera, with my left index finger resting on the pop-up flash or possibly some other nearby part of the camera. So it's possible that there was some sort of loose connection and the "drop" simply finished it off !

Whilst browsing a few websites last night,(following up suggestions here) I happened to notice that Leica have now brought out their D-Lux 7.

It's just within my (flexible) budget. I have no idea whether it's D-Lux 4 pocket size, or anything else about it.

Any thoughts, comments ?

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by JamieWednesday

D-lux 7 is type 109 MK ii. (Leica version of Panny LX100 ii.)

Type 109 was just called D-lux, skipping 7 at the time for some reason.

I know you’ve probably got a bit of GAS here, but I suspect your D-lux 4 may be easily repairable as it sounds like the screen’s power connector ribbon has worked a bit loose. 

Should be able to take back clamshell off easily enough and check. (I’m guessing via undoing screws on the side from images), after taking battery out and pressing shutter button to fully discharge (and make sure you don’t touch capacitor...). Then push ribbon back  into its fitting with wooden or plastic tool, e.g. cocktail stick.

JamieWednesday posted:

D-lux 7 is type 109 MK ii. (Leica version of Panny LX100 ii.)

Type 109 was just called D-lux, skipping 7 at the time for some reason.

I know you’ve probably got a bit of GAS here, but I suspect your D-lux 4 may be easily repairable as it sounds like the screen’s power connector ribbon has worked a bit loose. 

Should be able to take back clamshell off easily enough and check. (I’m guessing via undoing screws on the side from images), after taking battery out and pressing shutter button to fully discharge (and make sure you don’t touch capacitor...). Then push ribbon back  into its fitting with wooden or plastic tool, e.g. cocktail stick.

Hi Jamie, Thanks for that advice, I have just tried but...... one of the clamshell screws is ceased - it's always ONE it seems !. So, at the moment I can't remove the back. Nevertheless, I shall now take the D-Lux 4 with me when I go up to London, just in case a dealer can take a look !

Many thanks.