Magic Fuses ????

Posted by: wenger2015 on 30 December 2018

As a Christmas present my  very kind son-in-law brought me a Synergistic Research Blue Fuse.

I didn’t realise they come out at £130 per fuse!!! 

I have Just had the first opportunity to give it a try....... so decided to put it on the ‘source’ power line.....???

I am fascinated to find out just what magical powers these fuse’s have???

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by james n

You're not related to Obsydian are you ?

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by wenger2015
james n posted:

You're not related to Obsydian are you ?

I will quickly google my family history.....

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Obsydian

Ensure it is in the right way, the S in the SR logo at the live fuse end of the plug.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts, best to put into one powerline and leave it a good week, then go back to your stock plug fuse and decide.

I have a few blue plug fuses and now even the lesser SR20 in my switch and another for my TV. 

If you like the fuse, then the power cables are another level, my atmosphere level 1 has just settled after nearly 200hrs, far greater improvement than any box upgrade.

I wish I went all out for the Atmosphere Level 2, but my game plan was the Atmosphere entry level power cable and then ethernet cables.

Obsydian posted:

Ensure it is in the right way, the S in the SR logo at the live fuse end.

Be interesting to hear your thought.

I have a few blue plug fuses and now even the lesser SR20 in my switch and another for my TV. 

If you like the fuse, then the power cables are another level, my atmosphere level 1 has just settled after nearly 200hrs, far greater improvement than any box upgrade.

That’s interesting regarding the direction.... I realised they are directional but couldn’t find anything that tells you which way to insert. The advice was try both ways and see which you prefer...

wenger2015 posted:
Obsydian posted:

That’s interesting regarding the direction.... I realised they are directional but couldn’t find anything that tells you which way to insert. The advice was try both ways and see which you prefer...

I spoke to SR direct, the try it and see was for the pre blue and possibly red and black fuses. It should read SR, the S being the top as in the installed to plug position.

Any first impressions? 

I did look into Ansuz well before SR, but they are more cable focused no fuses, funny as Ansuz also quote using a Tesla coil in their process.

Obsydian, 

first impressions....?

i am somewhat surprised ....at the moment.... more clarity, more detail, perhaps a little sharp...

i assume their is a run in period? 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by nigelb
wenger2015 posted:
Obsydian posted:

Ooohhhh....eerrr....missus!

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by MDS

£130 for a fuse? Blow me! 

wenger2015 posted:

Obsydian, 

first impressions....?

i am somewhat surprised ....at the moment.... more clarity, more detail, perhaps a little sharp...

I won't say much as best decide for yourself, but it does go through a bright start, dull then no real downs, just a gradual peeling process, 200hrs is a good place, but to be honest it is very interesting listening to it involve pretty much each day.

For me it added what I thought was an over blown low end, but I realised my bass line had pretty much transformed into a very detailed and later a very tight, deep and tuneful basslines, each strand clear.

I would just sit back and forget it and listen, around the 7 day mark swap back, then back to the SR.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Guinnless

Run the fuse in by fitting it to the tumble dryer for a week or two. ?

Obsydian posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Obsydian, 

first impressions....?

I won't say much as best decide for yourself, but it does go through a bright start, dull then no real downs, just a gradual peeling process, 200hrs is a good place, but to be honest it is very interesting listening to it involve pretty much each day.

For me it added what I thought was an over blown low end, but I realised my bass line had pretty much transformed into a very detailed and later a very tight, deep and tuneful basslines, each strand clear.

I would just sit back and forget it and listen, around the 7 day mark swap back, then back to the SR.

It’s already quite remarkable that a fuse that has been in situ for 10 minutes can immediately make an impact ....

It’s going to be interesting to hear how things develop...

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by nigelb
wenger2015 posted:
Obsydian posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Obsydian, 

first impressions....?

It’s already quite remarkable that a fuse that has been in situ for 10 minutes can immediately make an impact ....

It’s going to be interesting to hear how things develop...

I refuse to believe it and I'll be blowed if a bit of wire can make such a difference.

And at at £130 it is a bit of a deal-breaker, or should that be circuit breaker. That is all I got.

Are you sure it is not the 252 working its magic?

Good to hear, but which direction ?

Oh also do you use a power block, if so put the fuse into that, as everything it feeds benefits.

Obsydian posted:

Good to hear, but which direction ?

I have just checked the fuse and it is in the correct way..

Obsydian posted:

Oh also do you use a power block, if so put the fuse into that, as everything it feeds benefits.

I have a dedicated mains supply... so no need for a power block....

nigelb posted:

I refuse to believe it and I'll be blowed if a bit of wire can make such a difference.

And at at £130 it is a bit of a deal-breaker, or should that be circuit breaker. That is all I got.

Are you sure it is not the 252 working its magic?

Brilliant.....

ps. The 252 i am extremely impressed with, it’s sounding remarkably good

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Got Hi-Fi?
wenger2015 posted:

Absolutely none. Unless placebo is considered a magical power?

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by wenger2015
Got Hi-Fi? posted:
wenger2015 posted:

You have con-fuse-d me?

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Blackmorec
Got Hi-Fi? posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Hey that must be exactly what it is. Imagine a product that can make you imagine the exact same improvement every time you hear it, without actually providing an iota of actual improvement. If that ain’t magic then I don’t know what is.  

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by wenger2015

Do I detect a hint of scepticism??

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Obsydian

Hi WENGER2015 - today my SR power cable took another break in step up, Yes it's over 200hrs, but some advised a 3 week mark, I am on week 2 and it is pretty alarming level of improvement.

Today, bass got deeper, dynamics sharper, vocals even clearer, most of all the sense of ease and micro detail, just ooze bogey factor.

For me the system has become engaging to the extent that I listen a heck of allot more than before.

I recall when I tried the SR Blue plug fuse, I was concerned as with the Power cable, that the 30 day return was BS. I even hacked apart my first SR power cable, the dealer refunded me the same day the full amount and did not even say WTF have you done to the cable.

Stark contrast on my Chord Company path, which was a struggle to source any of the high end ethernet and power cables, one I got 2nd hand the other I paid or gambled £1000 with no option to return as they where built to order. Yes I've been loyal to Chord for as long as Naim, but when I installed the SR fuse into the Chord Power cable, I realised yes was a big standard Belden core, with allot of effort on the Aray as they call it. The SR I hacked apart was the opposite, clearly as they say hand made.

For me the SR journey has been barely months, but highly addictive, for sure a company who offers a 30 day guarantee must have confidence in their product.

Would I say with SR fuses, supports and power cable the Naim sound has changed, I would say no.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by hungryhalibut
Obsydian posted:

Today, bass got deeper, dynamics sharper, vocals even clearer, most of all the sense of ease and micro detail, just ooze bogey factor.

It seems that you have picked a good one. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Khan

So I was under the impression that the fuses should not be changed on Naim gear. Also how much difference can I expect, compared to a power cable or a good distribution block?

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by james n
Khan posted:

So I was under the impression that the fuses should not be changed on Naim gear. Also how much difference can I expect, compared to a power cable or a good distribution block?

Internal equipment fuses are a no-no but fuses in the plugs are ok (check ratings etc)

I'd not bother myself but if you're so inclined...