Stumped again! Trying to copy a backup. Or create a new one. But can’t do either.

Posted by: Echolane on 30 December 2018

I am unable to copy/paste a backup of my Naim Uniti Core to one of my spare hard drives on my WIndows 7 Desktop.  The Windows message is 

The filename(s) would be too long for the destination folder.  You can shorten the filename and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path.  There are more than 70 files in this situation.

Really?  Has anyone else encountered this problem?

So then I tried to initiate a regular backup with the Naim Uniti Core, but I can’t seem to do that either.

Here’s where I would dearly love to display a screen shot for clarification, but I don’t know how to do that either ????

Manage Music > Backup Music > Configure a new backup >  And it displays 4 possibilities, all labeled Sonic Transporter.  (Really?). Then picking the one that says it is a USB drive, it tells me it is read only and I can’t use it.  At this point, it would be very handy to display another screen shot.  

I was going to overwrite the last backup.  What do I have to do to reuse my portable USB drive?

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Presumably this is a limitation of the destination file rather than the Core. Not something I’ve ever had a problem with, having copied lots of files from my Unitiserve to various other drives. I’ve always done this on a Mac, perhaps it’s a Windows thing?

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Rich 1

I'm sure Dave H will chip in but I don't think it's advisable to copy and paste backups of the Core to other locations, you'll probably have trouble trying to use it to rebuild the Core HDD. The easiest way to backup is to plug in an empty USB HDD and let the Naim app do its magic, over night for a large collection. You should be aware that you can't use this HDD for any other use apart from updating your Core backup. To reuse a redundant backup USB HDD plug into computer and reformat the drive.

To use another new location for Core backup (other than using a USB) you'll need to go to Manage Music, Configure Music Shares, Share Settings (if using a Nas or computer you'll need to add your Nas /computer password, username and maybe WORKGROUP as capitals or what ever you have named your workgroup on your computer). You can then go back to Backup Music and either use backup status to check older backups or Configure a new backup. Make sure you've set up and named an empty folder in your Nas, by empty I mean no hidden system files such as waste bin as they can sometimes upset the back up process. If a waste bin is required then the Naim app will add it. It did when I set up both Nas and USB backups, I have two backup locations just in case! Hope this helps. Rich 

I meant Richard H, don't know where I got Dave from! 

As Chrissu said, the long file path error is definitely a Windows thing, I've had it a few times. It means you may have to dig deeper into the folder to be moved and move the sub folders individually. There's probably a way to automate this but I don't know it. But as I said in my first post, I would not move the Core backup from its original location as set by the Naim app. Rich 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Gazza
Rich 1 posted:

I meant Richard H, don't know where I got Dave from! 

David Hendon?

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by David Hendon

Did someone call?

i haven’t tried backing up to a folder in a computer. There is no doubt that the easiest way to do a Core backup is to plug in a new empty USB HDD into the front panel USB socket and tell the Core to back up to it. The Core will ask to format it and then get going with the first backup which takes quite a long time, depending how many albums you have. Subsequent backups should be incremental and be much quicker.

Then you put the USB HDD somewhere else, out of sight, so if someone steals your Core, they don’t take the backup too.

You can backup to a NAS and in that case the Core doesn’t ask to format it. I remember with the Unitiserve you had to make sure the destination drive was defined as a music store with guest access and nothing already in the backup destination folder, including not even a wastebin, but I’m not sure whether this was carried over to the Core or not.

best

David

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Echolane

i haven’t tried backing up to a folder in a computer. There is no doubt that the easiest way to do a Core backup is to plug in a new empty USB HDD into the front panel USB socket and tell the Core to back up to it. The Core will ask to format it and then get going with the first backup which takes quite a long time, depending how many albums you have. Subsequent backups should be incremental and be much quicker.

Previous to this situation, I had only done two backups, one to an empty portable USB hard drive and once to a Sonic Transporter.  In this case, an incremental backup would do but I saw no option to do one.  How does one do an incremental backup?

How does one insert an image?  I see a symbol that is clearly for this purpose but it’s not obvious to me how it’s done.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Set up an imgur account. Upload image from your phone or pad. Copy direct link. Post link in drop down box from little mountain. 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by David Hendon

It will automatically do an incremental backup if the backup location already has a backup on it. You don’t have to tell it to. 

I have occasionally found that it wouldn’t see my backup USB HDD, but a restart of the Core has sorted that so far.

Inserting an image into a post here is covered fully in one of the FAQs. You can’t do it by using the image icon because Naim doesn’t want to pay for hosting all those images. So basically you put the image in a hosting service and insert the URL of the image into the posting. I should read the FAQ if I were you. My posting cane just after HH’s, but it is as he says.

best

David