Björn Erik Edvardsen - Creator of NAD 3020 - RIP

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2018

I read this morning of the sad passing of Björn Erik Edvardsen, the creator of the NAD 3020. I'm sure that for many of us here (myself included), the NAD 3020 - along with it's variants and successors such as the 3120 and 3130 - was the gateway amplifier that really got to the heart of the music, while still being relatively affordable. For some it was the first step before moving on to owning a Naim amplifier. 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by antony d

sad news, and indeed my son still has my old NAD G 370 in his system today G 370 I think was one of the best on the market at the time, i moved over from that to NAP 200

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by AndyP19

My 3020 is sitting just beside me in my study. A wonderful amp - I had great fun in the early days decoupling the pre and power sections and it still drives a very battered pair of Heybrook HB1's.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by PSAN

RIP BEE. I still have fond memories of my 3020 way back when I began my journey into hifi and music - and a simple set-up consisting of that amp, a Rega TT and a decent pair of two-way speakers from Dali kept a (much) younger version of myself happy for a number of years.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Tabby cat

Sad news.My first amp was a 3020 when I was 15 and I have my Fathers 3020 i in my Study as he is now in a carehome.Always liked NAD great value for money product.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by al9315

We had one at work linked to a tuner & cassette deck, it played every day, all day, for years 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Pev

Very sad - I had a NAD 3140 and it was head and shoulders above the rest... until I traded it in against a 62/90. The 3140 was a damn fine amp and great value for money with many original design features.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by nigelb

Had a 7020 which was the version of the 3020 with a tuner. They used to be called Receivers, IIRC. Great bit of kit that introduced me to HiFi and sad to hear of the passing of the creator.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Loki

A sad loss indeed.

My 3120 is still in daily service as at the hub of our AV setup. It's only needed a little help from Darran to cure a switch-on buzz in 33 years. It was my man amp from 1985 to 1992 and is now part of the family . Fine sounding and flexible and clearer and more gutsy than the famous 3020A as it was the stripped down version (no tone controls, LEDs), but continued the mould for excellent vfm and SQ fro which NAD became known. Ground breaking in its day, rivalled only by Rotel, whose designs were more conventional.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Kevin-W

I bought a second-hand 3020 in 1984. In 1988, when I got a Nait 2, I sold it to a mate. Sometime in the late 90s he sold it on to someone else, whose kids are still using it to this day.

A truly remarkable piece of kit. The 3020 must have introduced so many people to the sound of "real" hi-fi that BJE must be, along with the likes of Saul Marantz, Ivor T, Julian V, one of the industry's most influentiual figures.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by David S Patterson

3020 many fond memories . This was the amp that elevated me from the Comet specials of the time,from direct drive tt  an Amstrad amplifier and Solavox speakers. All courtesy of Russ Andrews Hifi, Northumberland St Edinburgh. I still remember entering  going downstairs and the sound playing was awesome ( LP12  32.5 250 driving  Kans) so out of the league if a young lad who had collected paper round money and tips and odd job cash. But the seed was sown... In the end I left with rega planar two with the wooden edge trim and rb 200, NAD 302O and a pair of AR18s.

Great amp . Great days 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by blythe

Another former 3020 amp owner here - owned just before I bought my Nait 2.
RIP.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by LarsDK

RIP - his amplifier was also my step before naim, amazing design, sound and value for money. Few designers have such an impact 

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Arthur Lee

I remember back in 1983 when I bought my Linn Isobariks DMS through The Sound Organisation they lent me a 3020 NAD whilst waiting for a Nap 250 CB. Used to good effect made a game changer when I went over to the 250.

Regards,

Martin

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Ahh, respect indeed for the designer of an iconic amplifier. I still own and occasionally use my NAD3020. 

It got me thinking of iconic audio amp design.. ie they made an impact rather than being necessarily the ‘best’

NAD 3020

Naim NAP 250

Cyrus III

Pioneer A200

Sugden A21 

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by GraemeH

Another ‘gateway’ 3020 owner here. An icon of its time.

G

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Salmon Dave

I had until very recently the more contemporary C326BEE amp, a superb successor to the 3020 (which my younger bro had for years). Faultless really. If only NAD had been taken more seriously in the 1980s....

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by AndyP19
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Ahh, respect indeed for the designer of an iconic amplifier. I still own and occasionally use my NAD3020. 

It got me thinking of iconic audio amp design.. ie they made an impact rather than being necessarily the ‘best’

NAD 3020

Naim NAP 250

Cyrus III

Pioneer A200

Sugden A21 

I'd also include the Audiolab 8000A in the list. Another amp along with my 3020 that is still in the house.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by engjoo

RIP. I did not own a 3020 but a good friend of mine did and I spend many hours listening to this amp in his place and discovering new music in the early 90s. It is one fine amp for sure. 

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

I use the spiritual successor - the 3020D at work everyday. Fine no fuss unit.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Harry

I couldn't get a 3020. They were like hen's teeth when I wanted one. Got a 4020 though. Still have it in the loft. Astoundingly good for the price.

No one lives forever. But his legacy will live a lot longer. Deservedly.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Atom/Iota/Kan Stands

I started with a classic Rega 3, NAD 3020, AR18s. Paid £89 for the amp. Spend many great hours discovering music, sound was brilliant. 

The first time these ears heard Beethoven 7th, Tchaikovsky 4th, Beethoven piano concerto no. 3, Beethoven violin concerto, The White Album. These are like old friends to me now, discovered on that wonderful kit.  

BEE RIP. 

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Loki
Salmon Dave posted:

I had until very recently the more contemporary C326BEE amp, a superb successor to the 3020 (which my younger bro had for years). Faultless really. If only NAD had been taken more seriously in the 1980s....

Weren't they?!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Tamarin

I was still rocking a 3140 until 2013, when I got the Naim bug, and changed it out for a SuperNait (1).

RIP Björn.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by DBS-Al

I had a NAD 7120 with the NAD 6050C cassette deck and Dual CS 505 turntable with Heybrook HB1 loudspeakers.

It's boxed away upstairs apart from the speakers which unfortunately gave in years ago. RIP Bjorn.