Improvements you would like to see from Naim in 2019

Posted by: Camlan on 31 December 2018

To start the ball rolling, I would love to see bubbleupnp integration in either the app or the servers to save using Lumin/Kazoo to access Qobuz.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Brian H

5 gHz WiFi for MU so QB. I was so disappointed.

Android App that is as robust as the iOS version

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Musicmad

For streaming: either revert to the streamer or control point screen showing the Album Artist rather than Track Artist or introduce this as a User option.  This is how it used to be when I built my NAS library.  It's not a problem for Easy Listening but Track Artist does not work for Classical and Soundtrack music which represent 75+% of my library.

Please ....

Mitch

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Besides the Naim app I am pretty happy at the place I am right now.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by hungryhalibut
Musicmad posted:

For streaming: either revert to the streamer or control point screen showing the Album Artist rather than Track Artist or introduce this as a User option.  This is how it used to be when I built my NAS library.  It's not a problem for Easy Listening but Track Artist does not work for Classical and Soundtrack music which represent 75+% of my library.

Please ....

Mitch

You can do that quite happily with Asset or MinimServer. 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by PianoBasher

Ability to disable Spotify in Muso and Qb. Currently I have to disconnect these devices whenever someone with Spotify (eg my grandson) has access to my wi-fi. If I don't do this and he uses Spotify then he can play on these devices remotely (and also adjust the volume). Whilst I think (am not sure!) that a factory reset will resolve the Spotify association I don't want to do this after every such visit.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Stevee_S

The opportunity to turn off ALL the lighting on the Atom and Nova, please. 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

A 1000% reduction in prices to all forum members.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Musicmad
hungryhalibut posted:
Musicmad posted:

Please ....

Mitch

You can do that quite happily with Asset or MinimServer. 

HH, We've discussed this before ... when "the issue" first arose (I think it was due to an upgrade in Asset and, having made enquiries on that forum, was referred back to Naim).  If there has been a further change in the Asset UI / software which allows me to chose please do tell ...

... it's not a major issue but it is aggravating that the screen (NDX and iPad, etc.) shows the Track Artist (e.g. Karajan, Barenboim, Rattle et al.) instead of the Album Artist (e.g. Beethoven).

I've never got to grips with Minimserver, finding Asset far more suitable, despite the on-going "issue".

Cheers,

Mitch

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by engjoo

What I would like to see:

1) Classic preams:

- Improvement to volume control for more precise and wider adjustment. Much like the 272 ?

- Reduce input sensitivity

2) Streamers

- Updated "272"

- More features. (eg selectable Filters, room correction ?)

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by engjoo
Stevee_S posted:

The opportunity to turn off ALL the lighting on the Atom and Nova, please. 

Yes. Thats loooooong overdue!

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by simes_pep

How about?

• MQA DAC Profiles support
  • RoonReady support in the older Classic products
  • Ability to populate the space to the left of the Album Artwork, when using a 3rd party UPnP server, in the Naim App
  • Search across local library in the Naim App & not just Tidal when using a 3rd party UPnP server
  • Proper integration in Tidal, in the Naim App, when supplementary content to local content is provided, instead of just all Content by Artist despite what is present in local library from a 3rd party UPnP server.
  • ‘Analogue only 555DR’ as 2nd PSU for NDS/ND555 (instead of using (& paying for) a complete 2nd 555DR and only using the analogue voltage rails)
  • Retro-fit DR board for DAC board in NDS applying the same level of DR provision as in a ND555, in DAC & filter boards

You asked!

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by ayap1
Bob the Builder posted:

A 1000% reduction in prices to all forum members.

This is pushing it a bit too far Bob! I would like to see Naim giving some kind of discount to pensioners.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Chag...

Please do enhance metadata editing on the Core for us classical music lovers and keep up the good work. That’s really all folks! ????

Chag -

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Gazza
Chag... posted:

Please do enhance metadata editing on the Core for us classical music lovers and keep up the good work. That’s really all folks! ????

Chag -

Sticking with the Core in addition to the above I would like to see the ability to be able to do direct downloads from say Hires, Quobuz etc, much like you can with a Melco.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Guinnless
Musicmad posted

HH, We've discussed this before ... when "the issue" first arose (I think it was due to an upgrade in Asset and, having made enquiries on that forum, was referred back to Naim).  If there has been a further change in the Asset UI / software which allows me to chose please do tell ...

... it's not a major issue but it is aggravating that the screen (NDX and iPad, etc.) shows the Track Artist (e.g. Karajan, Barenboim, Rattle et al.) instead of the Album Artist (e.g. Beethoven).

I've never got to grips with Minimserver, finding Asset far more suitable, despite the on-going "issue".

Cheers,

Mitch

Asset is fully configurable to display your library exactly as you want it but you do need to visit the configuration section to do so. I prefer Album Artist too so that is how I set it up. As I never use Artist alone so I removed it from the config.

it really is a customisable as you want.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by simes_pep

Guinnless posted:
Musicmad posted

Cheers,

Mitch

Asset is fully configurable to display your library exactly as you want it but you do need to visit the configuration section to do so. I prefer Album Artist too so that is how I set it up. As I never use Artist alone so I removed it from the config.

it really is a customisable as you want.

Yes, I have Artist / Album, but Album Artist / Album as the main entry into my Library

CC17B441-1019-4643-83AD-387FF5C1986D

Most other folders are under ‘Advanced’

C4554D6D-BEF5-4546-880E-346055FC6359

The Configuration of this is completely user derived, under the Trees, and recent Asset releases there is now a GUI to manage this.

I have a version of my Library Trees available, with the Configuration Guide to Asset on RPi I wrote a number of years back.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Rich 1

Core, downsample to mp3 for use in car, jogging etc. Rich 

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Musicmad

Thank you both, Guinnless and Simes_Pep, but I think you misunderstand the point. I, too, have configured Asset via the Browse tree so that my Menu Options read:

Album Artist
Artist / Album
Album
Composer
Genre
Year
Conductor
etc.
with various secondary options within each primary option.

This is one of the things that I like about Asset and it works very well (another being that Asset allows up to 3 contributory names to be selected within Artist and Composer).

Where "the issue" lies is not in selecting the music but in how the chosen music - when playing - is displayed on the NDX screen or iPad/Pod/Phone screen.

As mentioned, for Easy Listening (my catch-all for pop/popular music) this is not a problem: having selected an album by Frank Sinatra, his name appears in the displayed info.

But for Classical (basically where the composer is the primary choice and the performer is the secondary choice) this leaves me with the Performer's name displayed whereas I would prefer the Composer's name. Similarly, but to a lesser extent, Soundtrack music.

The root of the problem could lie with how I have tagged my music, such that, e.g. for Rachmaninov's second piano concerto, the first three of which (I have multiple recordings) are:

Album Artist: Rachmaninov,Sergei
Albums:
Piano Concerto #1, Op.1 in F? minor [Ashkenazy/Haitink/RCO]
Piano Concerto #1, Op.1 in F? minor [Ashkenazy/Previn/LSO]
Piano Concerto #1, Op.1 in F? minor [Janis/Kondrashin/MPO]

the suffices tell me who the performers are (and I can select any from the Menu options stated above, including by Year (by reference to my library database)) but once in play, the screen will tell me it's Ashkenazy,Vladimir or Janis,Byron ... (which I can see from the Album name)
... but not who the Album Artist is.

I accept that I could include the composer's name in the album name but I'm reluctant to do so (I do this in track titles for albums comprising works by multiple composers) not least because of the quantity of albums involved.

But it's because it was the Album Artist rather than Track Artist which used to be displayed before the Asset upgrade (referred to above). And, given we have the choice to display Elapsed Time, Stream Info, Genre, Buffer Level (on the NDX screen), it seems to me, that it shouldn't be too difficult to have the User option to display Album Artist instead of Track Artist.

But then, I'm no software compiler!

So: it's on my wish-list

Mitch

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Musicmad

Ooops!  My quoted examples were of Rachmaninov's first - not second - piano concerto ... but the point still stands.  (And I didn't think I had that much of a hangover!)

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by nbpf

What I would like to see is:

• AudioLinux certification for the Uniti Core
  • Versions of ND5 XS 2, NDX 2, ND 555 without onboard DAC and without screen (NDX 2, ND 555)
  • Naim DAC and DAC V1 successors
Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Matteo

New Classic pre / power amps 

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Harry

I'd like to see the power supplies incorporate a standby mode. Assuming no detrimental effect on sound quality. A brief warm up period would be acceptable to me. I'm sure Naim could implement the first half of this next month. It's the sound quality part that will take the time. 

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Guinnless
Musicmad posted:

Thank you both, Guinnless and Simes_Pep, but I think you misunderstand the point. I, too, have configured Asset via the Browse tree so that my Menu Options read:

Album Artist
Artist / Album
Album
Composer
Genre
Year
Conductor
etc.
with various secondary options within each primary option.

This is one of the things that I like about Asset and it works very well (another being that Asset allows up to 3 contributory names to be selected within Artist and Composer).

Where "the issue" lies is not in selecting the music but in how the chosen music - when playing - is displayed on the NDX screen or iPad/Pod/Phone screen.

As mentioned, for Easy Listening (my catch-all for pop/popular music) this is not a problem: having selected an album by Frank Sinatra, his name appears in the displayed info.

But for Classical (basically where the composer is the primary choice and the performer is the secondary choice) this leaves me with the Performer's name displayed whereas I would prefer the Composer's name. Similarly, but to a lesser extent, Soundtrack music.

The root of the problem could lie with how I have tagged my music, such that, e.g. for Rachmaninov's second piano concerto, the first three of which (I have multiple recordings) are:

Album Artist: Rachmaninov,Sergei
Albums:
Piano Concerto #1, Op.1 in F? minor [Ashkenazy/Haitink/RCO]
Piano Concerto #1, Op.1 in F? minor [Ashkenazy/Previn/LSO]
Piano Concerto #1, Op.1 in F? minor [Janis/Kondrashin/MPO]

the suffices tell me who the performers are (and I can select any from the Menu options stated above, including by Year (by reference to my library database)) but once in play, the screen will tell me it's Ashkenazy,Vladimir or Janis,Byron ... (which I can see from the Album name)
... but not who the Album Artist is.

I accept that I could include the composer's name in the album name but I'm reluctant to do so (I do this in track titles for albums comprising works by multiple composers) not least because of the quantity of albums involved.

But it's because it was the Album Artist rather than Track Artist which used to be displayed before the Asset upgrade (referred to above). And, given we have the choice to display Elapsed Time, Stream Info, Genre, Buffer Level (on the NDX screen), it seems to me, that it shouldn't be too difficult to have the User option to display Album Artist instead of Track Artist.

But then, I'm no software compiler!

So: it's on my wish-list

Mitch

I see what you mean. 
I now normally use Bubble App instead of the Naim App; this shows Composer as well as the artist.  I can't see my ND5XS screen from my listening area and it's set to switch off after 2 minutes anyway

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Denner

What I would like to see is:

That on the new Uniti Series all functions are also on the remote control and not just about the app to use. (Specially UPNP)

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Sloop John B

It seems that Naim have done a very good job of isolating Ethernet issues on the way to the DAC in the new streamers. So a “network bridge” type product would interest me as I like to be agnostic from a DAC point of view but would like a Naim option to get to the DAC of my choice.  

.sjb