Mu-so, Mu-so Qb plus Core workability

Posted by: Paulie on 31 December 2018

I currently have a Uniti Core connected to my main Naim system. The Core is connected, via ethernet cable plugged into an Apple Airport express, to the house wireless network. I wanted to put a Mu-so in one room in the house and a Mu-so Qb in a different room. From what I understand, I'm assuming both Mu-so units will have to be connected, via ethernet cable, to the house network in order to be able to stream internet radio and so on..... My question is: Will the Mu-so units also be able to "see" the Core on the network and access all of it's content, or does the Mu-so require a "hard-wired" connection to the Core (or other storage device) to be able to play from it? Does anyone else have a similar setup? Does it work properly? Thanks, as always.....

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Yes, the mu-so will see everything on the Core, simply by virtue of being on the network. Do try to connect them to the router with wires, as it’s much more reliable. It’s best to connect a switch to the router and then to connect all the Naim bits to the switch. That way the Naim bits can talk to each other without being affected by other stuff going on on the network. 

We have 3 Qbs around the house and use multi room all the time. It works really well. 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

The Mu-so’s don’t need to be Ethernet connected, Wifi is fine assuming you have a proper Wifi home network .. I connect my Qb via Wifi and it does everything including multi room and PCM/lossless... never had a single glitch or drop out all the time I have owned it, and we have a busy Wifi network. The Mu-so’s appear to have a good Wifi implementation and is effectively as reliable as Ethernet for me and gives the added flexibility of Wifi over Ethernet.

Sure if you have a rather dodgy/limited wifi setup then probably best use Ethernet... but it clearly limits some of the versatility of the unit with respect to placement.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Paulie

Hi Simon and Halibut - Thanks.  Just to be clear: So, unlike the Core, either of the Mu-so units can just tap into WiFi wirelessly (like your phone or a laptop, for example)? There is no need for a hard connection? Is that correct?

Thanks.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Guinnless

Yes, that's correct. My Muso Qb experience is the same as Simon's and my Qb has never seen an Ethernet cable. ????

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by blythe

Wifi does work fine on QB and Muso but, it MUST be a decent signal strength.
My kitchen Muso is about 16 metres (52 feet) away from my wifi router and I have to be careful how I position the QB as our reinforced concrete walls play havoc with the signal.
There is also a wifi access point in the room directly beneath the kitchen but the kitchen QB cannot connect to this as the reinforced concrete floor kills the signal almost dead.
As Simon says, you need a strong, properly set up wifi network for reliable music.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

With regard to signal strength.. my Qb in its current location connects to either one of two access points (both are outside the room) at between 70% to 80% signal strength and the send and receive bit rates are both at 54Mbps

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by John Leamy

Hi folks, I’ve recently purchased a Muso and Muso Qb. The Muso unit is connected to my TV via optical cable and is also hard wired to my router via an Ethernet cable. The Muso Qb unit is in my kitchen and relies on WiFi only. I can get both units to work in sync for internet radio and for music played via USB (iPod). I don’t seem to be able to stream the sound from my TV to the Qb unit (I.e. the multi room icon is not visible on the app). This is called out in the manual however I’m wondering if anyone on this forum has gotten around this?

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Need to ensure the TV is outputting 2 channel PCM via the optical - and then it will work fine. It may be your TV is outputting Dolby multichannel or similar - and that won't work with Naim

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by John Leamy

Hi Simon - the optical output is working fine from my TV to the main Muso unit. The problem is I don’t seem to be able to “stream” the same audio to the Muso Qb unit. I.e. the multi room option is not available to me on the Naim app when I am receiving sound from my TV to the main Muso unit. 

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by David Hendon

I just checked my 272 which has an optical feed from my Sony TV into a digital input and that doesn’t show multi room as being available either, although it works fine as a stereo feed in the TV room (albeit the quality is not particularly impressive). I never checked that source for multiroom before.

So I suspect that multi-rooming of stereo PCM into a digital input is just not something that Naim supports for whatever reason.

best

David

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Simon-in-Suffolk
John Leamy posted:

Hi Simon - the optical output is working fine from my TV to the main Muso unit. The problem is I don’t seem to be able to “stream” the same audio to the Muso Qb unit. I.e. the multi room option is not available to me on the Naim app when I am receiving sound from my TV to the main Muso unit. 

Ok I see, yes I note on my setup the digital inputs don’t multiroom either.. and I am using an NDX

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by blythe

I would love to have this this feature. I often have the TV on in the sitting room and walk into the kitchen and want to continue listening to the TV on the QB.
My wish list to Naim would be to enable such functionality!

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by ChrisSU
blythe posted:

I would love to have this this feature. I often have the TV on in the sitting room and walk into the kitchen and want to continue listening to the TV on the QB.

The new streamers will multiroom from all inputs, so you could say that your wish has been granted. I can’t imagine this would be added to old platform devices, though. 

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by blythe
ChrisSU posted:
blythe posted:

The new streamers will multiroom from all inputs, so you could say that your wish has been granted. I can’t imagine this would be added to old platform devices, though. 

I sincerely hope it can be done through Firmware update as I don't wish to change to the Nova to replace my 2 year old SU.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by ChrisSU
blythe posted:
ChrisSU posted:
blythe posted:

I sincerely hope it can be done through Firmware update as I don't wish to change to the Nova to replace my 2 year old SU.

Well you can always ask Naim if it would be possible, as they’re not likely to consider it unless they can see a demand for it. I have no idea if it’s even technically possible without a hardware change. 

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by David Hendon

I think if it were possible to do it on the old platform it would have been done already. I guess it’s a hardware limitation.

best

David

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Simon-in-Suffolk

I agree with Dave, if it can be done on the new streamers almost certainly an architectural limitation of the older streamers...