Big speakers for NAP500 - Kudos 808 or Wilson Sasha2

Posted by: BPhotographer on 31 December 2018

Hi,

I have currently Kudos 707 which I want to upgrade (get more soundstage and bass).

I really liked the Wilson Sasha 2 (I have heard them in a non-naim systems [nagra, etc.]). 

Anyone made a comparison?

How is the combination of 552/500/ND555 and Wilson?

What speaker cable should I use for the Wilson?

Thanks,

BP. 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Piotr1

You should try also YG Acoustics Hailey and Magico S 5 mkII.

Wilson Sasha could be a bit dry with Naim in my opinion ...

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by varyat

BP- How big is your room and how loud do you play?

Both the Wilson and the Magico will play their best when brought out into your listening space. The 808 is more at home closer to your back wall.

Of the three, your 500 is best matched for the 808's - very benign load. Imo, the 500 would struggle with the Magico's if you like to "go to eleven".

I have a pair of 808's on home dem atm, replacing T-88's, and the differences are significant. If you have the room...give the Sasha2 a try though. I personally have liked the Sabrina's when I heard them driven by Dartzeel - never heard with Naim. Difficult doing demo's of these large speakers at home but if you have a dealer who is willing.....  The 808's are quite good at their price point.

ATB,

Mark

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Clay Bingham

I can't imagine you would not like the 500 series plus Sasha 2's.  Before he retired, I used to help a friend out at his store. He sold both Naim and Wilson. We used to connect a Supernait 2 to Wilson Sophias and Sasha 2's and laugh at how good those combinations sounded. This in a store that also sold Boulder, Audio Research, McIntosh, and Ayre. 

With regard to the Sasha 2's themselves, they are great. I would never argue with one person's characterization of a speaker's sound because we do all hear things differently. But I will say that among our customers, the Sasha 2's were universally admired in particular as were Wilson speakers in general. I would love to hear 500 series on Wilson.

In fact I would love to hear a 500 series piece just once. Still on my bucket list. Heard a Statement at CES and that was awesome.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by BPhotographer

Thanks for your replies.

I heard the Magico S5 in a non-naim system and I thought they were too bright from the mid and up.

Here is my room's dimensions in meters:

BP.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by bdnyc

Hi BP-

In general, Wilson speakers can work very nicely with modern Naim electronics.    In NYC, they have been one of our most popular pairings for over a decade.    Most users rely on NACA 5, but Super Lumina cables would be even better.

In particular, unless you prefer to make a purchased from the used market, I would encourage you to try to hear the new Sasha DAW, which is a considerably better speaker than the now discontinued Sasha 2.     The newest Sasha DAW is, to my ears, the best medium sized Wilson speaker by a large margin.

Wilson speakers can work fairly well near the rear walls in many rooms, if this is necessary in your home, but they do shine with attention to detail and an exacting set up.    Both Naim and Wilson pay a great deal of attention in the design stage to dynamic tracking in their products, and this helps both achieve a lively presentation with a great deal of presence.   

At this level of speakers, you really owe it yourself to hear any model you are considering in depth with music you know and love, and ideally a system very close to yours.

Good luck in your search,

Bruce

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by varyat

BP- my room is very similar dimensions as yours, including the alcoves. The 808's are playing beautifully as I write- approx 7 ft apart with 2 ft from back wall.

The lower cabinet of the 808's is a brilliant design- deep, quick, taught bass that integrates seamlessly with the upper cabinet. Bass is the 808's strong point imo, even at low volumes. The new tweeter design is where the 808 plays on an entirely different level when compared to the old T88- greater dispersion and resolution. Worthy of audition imo I run Naca5 btw...

ATB,

Mark

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Bart
BPhotographer posted:

Thanks for your replies.

I heard the Magico S5 in a non-naim system and I thought they were too bright from the mid and up.

BP.

I've heard S5's several times in my local dealer's extremely well-treated room, and "bright" is something I've never heard.  I'm always remarked at the overall balance of bass thump, beautiful midrange voices, and treble that's all there but not harsh.  So as usual, it's the total system, set-up and the room.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by MangoMonkey

To op: are you in the US?

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Timo
BPhotographer posted:

Hi,

I have currently Kudos 707 which I want to upgrade (get more soundstage and bass).

I really liked the Wilson Sasha 2 (I have heard them in a non-naim systems [nagra, etc.]). 

Thanks,

BP. 

Tempted by an ex-demo pair in London? ;-)

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by BPhotographer
MangoMonkey posted:

To op: are you in the US?

No.
I'm in Israel.

BP.

Bart posted:
BPhotographer posted:

Thanks for your replies.

BP.

I've heard S5's several times in my local dealer's extremely well-treated room, and "bright" is something I've never heard.  I'm always remarked at the overall balance of bass thump, beautiful midrange voices, and treble that's all there but not harsh.  So as usual, it's the total system, set-up and the room.

It might be the other components...

BP.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Michael_B.

You don’t say what sort of music you listen to, but if you like classical/jazz music I’d give some Shahinians and audition

80% classical music, 15% jazz, 5% rock.

BP.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Michael_B.
BPhotographer posted:

BP.

Then you really owe it to yourself to hear some of the big Shahinians. They finally delivered what I had been hankering for for years...

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Gazza
Michael_B. posted:
BPhotographer posted:

BP.

Then you really owe it to yourself to hear some of the big Shahinians. They finally delivered what I had been hankering for for years...

Michael, I only heard this brand once. I think the system was a RP8, Leema integrated with Shahinian Arcs. They were quite small, you could easily miss them and sort of trip over.  But boy what a lovely sounding system. Bet the bigger ones sound great.

How to connect spade (Wilson) to banana (NAP 500)?

BP.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by J The Kop
BPhotographer posted:

Hi,

Thanks,

BP. 

Hi BP

I have ND555/2PS555/ 552/500 all DR with superlumina cable one end banana and the other spade.  I used to have Wilson Sasha 1 and just recently upgraded to Sasha DAW. My room is 15x13 ft with Vicoustic treatments, diffuser, bass traps. 

Naim and Wilson are good match. It is very musical with the combo. Wilson responded to Naim PRAT very well. The bass is fast and tight. The high is extended. 

Now I upgraded to Sasha DAW, it is much better than Sasha1. 

You will not disappointed with Sasha 2. But DAW is really special. Naim 500 amp has no problem control Wilson. Wilson speaker allows me to hear what ND555 can do.

I did compare to Magico several times. Magico sounds great as well but to my ears, Magico is sweeter but not as musical.  

J

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by northpole

BPhotographer

I very recently was trying out a few variations for my record player at a dealer near Leicester and this was the first time I have heard the 808 speakers.  The other bits were 552 and 300 connected to the speakers by super lumina cables.  With 'only' a 300, I wasn't expecting much however, I was mightily impressed at the ability of the set up to demonstrate the differences between various options.  I found them extremely communicative whilst also providing a thumping bass where appropriate.  They are obviously big brothers of the 707's which I have not heard, but I rather imagine if you like the 707 and are looking for more scaling, the 808's should be high on your list.  Good hunting!

Peter

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by bdnyc

BP-

If you do choose the new Wilson Sasha DAW, they feature a new Wilson binding post which accepts bananas.    The earlier generations of the Sasha's only accept spades, as is true for most Wilson speakers historically. 

Good listening,

Bruce

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Chris Bell

Magico sounds like metal.  Wilson sounds like a fireworks show.  Go for the Kudos... at least they know what music is supposed to sound like.  

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by BPhotographer

Ordered Wilson Sasha DAW.
Thanks all.

BP.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by bdnyc

Hi BP-

Enjoy your new speakers once they are installed.     Naim electronics and Wilson speakers form a very compelling combination that deserve to be more widely known.    They can achieve a great and highly musical synergy, but may require a bit more work in the speaker placement process than you may have run into previously.     

Good listening,

Bruce

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by J The Kop

Enjoy your DAW, I love myDAW. My dealer just came and fine tuning the position today. For Wilson speakers, speakers position is very critical to get it right.  It sounds very musical. Bass is fast and tight. Top end is open and soft.

You will enjoy lot more music to come.

J

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by varyat

J- may I ask, what distance from back wall did your DAW find its' best result? How big is your room? Curious if I could accommodate these speakers in my room...

Thanks!,

Mark

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by J The Kop

Mark,

my room is small 13x16feet.  Speakers are 36” from the front wall, 23” from side wall and 9feet apart. Listening position is 3feet from the rear wall. 

However, my room is treated with 6 of Vicoustic bass traps at the corner and diffuser at both front and rear wall. Side wall treated with Vicoustic absorption, enough to keep my room lively.

DAW sounds very nice in my setting. Soundstage is wide and deep. Bass is fast and tight. Most of all, DAW is easy to drive, the music just flow at the lower volume around 8 o’clock on my 552. It is very musical. 

I compared to Magico and Raidho D2. I much prefer DAW. However,speaker position is critical for Wilson speaker. 

My ND555 just sings with DAW. It is a clear upgrade from NDS. I did compare NDS with ND555 in my room, as I am keeping My NDS for my second system. 

Good luck 

J