what concert did you attend in 2019?

Posted by: kuma on 31 December 2018

Right! Happy New Year everyone!

So, has anyone attended a New Year's Concert in Vienna?

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Kevin-W

Sadly, I didn't attend the do in Vienna @kuma, but on 4th January I did go to The Bread & Roses in Clapham for the first gig of the year by Ese & The Vooduu People.

It was a bit of a hairy one, this. By 8:30pm there was nobody there, and the promoter and myself were tearing our hair out. January is never a good time for gigs! Luckily at 9pm the place began to fill up and the show was a stonker!

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by kuma

Man.. She's a hard working girl! ( or are you a slave master? )

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by DenisA

I have 4 gig's planned for January & I'll try and report back on them. A reflection of my musical tastes that's expanded with each passing year.

I hope it will be as enjoyable as the 88 gig's I attended last year, with 25 booked already for '19.

12 Jan: Daylight Music: 298 - Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment’s Experience Ensemble
Mozart and Haydn’s Top Tens’ + Fran & FloraDetails ]

17 Jan: Fran & Flora - album launch [ Details ]

25 Jan: black midi + Jerskin FendrixDetails ]

31 Jan: Field Music at IWM London  [ Details ]

DenisA,

Daylight Music sounds wonderful!

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by DenisA
kuma posted:

DenisA,

Daylight Music sounds wonderful!

Hi Kuma,

Daylight Music [ Activities ] is a wonderful concept for the local community and music lovers. They put on around 30 gig's a year & they have opened my ears to lot's of interesting music. Another highlight of the Church is hearing the [ Henry Willis Organ ] on occasions.

Claire M Singer is the Music Director of the organ at Union Chapel and Artistic Director of the [ organ reframed ] festival. I'd also recommend her 2016 album - Solas 

DenisA,

Yes I checked out the link you posted and thought what a wonderful way to spend a few hours on Sunday afternoon. 

HIP ( historically Informed Performance ) orchestras have their detractors, but I actually like the OAE and have a few of their CDs.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Kevin-W
kuma posted:

Man.. She's a hard working girl! ( or are you a slave master? )

A girl's gotta make a living Kuma. We get very little from Spotify et al, so gigging's the way to go.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Just back from the RCM in London.  It was the world premiere of William Mival's Pluen, a piece he composed in honour of the 70th birthday of His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales. It's a meditation on a Welsh folk song found in an arrangement for choir by Gustav Holst; Y Glomen, the dove.  Fragments of the original are woven into three extended variations. Each variation deriving from the relative proportions of the three feathers in the heraldic badge of the Prince of Wales.  

The rest of the evening's concert was a performance of Prokofiev's Dreams, and Stravinsky's Firebird Suite.