NYEve treat -- no right channel from my ND555

Posted by: Bart on 01 January 2019

Totally out of the blue . . . no right channel. ND555 is my only source.  Did some basic analysis; it's not the speaker (switched speaker cables).

Found my mini-phono-to-RCA lead and connected by Macbook directly to my 252; plenty of right channel.  That seems to isolate the issue to something upstream of the 252.

Unplugged/re-plugged the hi-line (and tried other inputs) and the burndies...no change.

Factory re-set on ND555 setup menu; no change.

Any other ideas for trouble-shooting? I don't know of any way of knowing if it's the ND or the 555PS.  My boxes might be taking a trip for the new year!

EDIT: Just thought to try RCA to RCA ND to 252, just in case it's the hi-line.  Will try that.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

That’s bad - don’t have additional suggestions for troubleshooting for you.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Clive B

I realise it doesn't help, but I seem to recall that Gazza had the same problem. You could do a search and see what his solution was.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Gazza

Not very helpful solution for Bart short term, was I got a new one. I was very lucky dealer had one in stock and Naim rep was calling in same day and took it back to HQ. It was the DIN output. For my ND555 if you went into settings and changed from DIN to DIN +RCA and then used the RCA output this was working fine. This was just before Xmas and I have no need to know if it was repairable? It was not the Hiline cable, the problem was reproducible at my dealer with their cables.....hence I am now going thru burn in one mor time. For me this was better than a repair and wondering if I had a duff box for years to come in the back of my mind?

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Bart
Gazza posted:

Not very helpful solution for Bart short term, was I got a new one. I was very lucky dealer had one in stock and Naim rep was calling in same day and took it back to HQ. It was the DIN output. For my ND555 if you went into settings and changed from DIN to DIN +RCA and then used the RCA output this was working fine. This was just before Xmas and I have no need to know if it was repairable?

Really helpful Clive and Gazza.  Fingers crossed...attempting switch to RCA now.

Bart posted:
Gazza posted:

Not very helpful solution for Bart short term, was I got a new one. I was very lucky dealer had one in stock and Naim rep was calling in same day and took it back to HQ. It was the DIN output. For my ND555 if you went into settings and changed from DIN to DIN +RCA and then used the RCA output this was working fine. This was just before Xmas and I have no need to know if it was repairable?

Really helpful Clive and Gazza.  Fingers crossed...attempting switch to RCA now.

Cheers guys -- indeed it's (merely) the DIN output.  Things work fine on the RCA output.  At least I know I need not ship off the 555, just the ND 555.  And now maybe Naim have something to look at.

This is not the first Bart, there was the sorry story of the guy who had the same problem, then the stand in NDX2 went wrong, and then his 500 or 552 did as well in the space of a week or so. I was very lucky as mentioned as a new order is unlikely in the UK to be fulfilled to end of Jan or longer. My dealer was brilliant and gave me a number of options including taking their only stock item, which I did. Naim were on the phone several times while I was their as we tried factory reset etc, the RCA output was the solution, but this is not the preferred SQ output for Naim. Hope you get a new one, at least you know how my problem was handled by my dealer and a Naim. Things do go wrong, it’s how it’s sorted, for me it was brilliant....Signals in Suffolk????

Mine was bought new from a wonderful dealer here in the States and I'm sure he'll do his best for me.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Clive B

Hopefully, if the dealer has another unit he would do a straight swap for you too, Bart. Alternatively, of course, if the Service Department has had chance to determine where the DIN output failed on Gazza's unit, they may be able to advise your dealer so that yours could be fixed quickly in the States.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by nigelb

Umm...two identical problems with the DIN outputs on new ND555s. This points towards a part or assembly quality issue. I am sure Naim will be all over this.

Bart, hope you can get it sorted quickly without the need for a return trip to Salisbury for your black box.

This is where the forum comes up trumps....i was in a bit of a frazzle trying all sorts of options, turning off routers, switches as these new gadgets can be a pain to no avail, however my dealer is just up the road....Not so for Bart, hope it is something simple or he gets a new one.

Indeed the knowledge and experience base here is fantastic.  Obviously my player needs repair, but just being able to isolate it to the player and not the PS, and hearing of other(s) similar experiences, is great piece of mind!

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Manu

Bart,

Sorry to hear that.

Call your dealer and ask him to call me.  We may be able to save a trip...

We have found that these small relays are not very reliable these days... but easy to change...

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by james n

I'd try switching DIN > RCA > DIN several times. Sounds like it could be a sticky relay which may unstick if you are lucky. 

Manu - thanks will do.  James -- thanks, will try!!!

James - great idea but no results.  Can't seem to "unstick" it if it's stuck.  May well just be a part failure outright.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by james n

Oh well - worth a try. Looks like Manu will get you sorted 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Bart

Quick follow up.  As always Manu was EXTREMELY responsive, as was my dealer.  

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Gazza

Did they repair or replace it?

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Bart
Gazza posted:

It'll be replaced, when one's available. Not sure of timing yet -- one has to be procured. In the meantime I'm using the RCA outputs.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Gazza
Bart posted:
Gazza posted:

It'll be replaced, when one's available. Not sure of timing yet -- one has to be procured. In the meantime I'm using the RCA outputs.

Bart, it’s what happened to me, it’s not ideal, but things happen.....it’s how they sort it out. So a brand new one for me is a pretty good dealer and Naim service. Hope it goes well????

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

Good to see how it’s solved, concerning that’s not an individual case....