Connecting Core to Nova

Posted by: Steve w on 02 January 2019

Hi there and happy new year to everyone...quick question..how do others connect their Core to the Nova ?..simply use Ethernet or direct using interconnects.

any difference in quality? If both Ethernet and bnc are connected how does the Nova switch between the two ? Is there a hiararchy?

steve.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Klout10

Hi Steve, 

Also Happy New Year! The most obvious way to connect your Core to the Nova is via ethernet; both connected to a switch or the router provided by your telecom provider. In this way, also other UPnP streamers - like e.g. a mu-so - are able to play the music stored on the Core.

Also a connection via BNC is possible, but I have no experience with that. You can switch inputs on the Nova easily: UPnP for the ethernet connection and one of the digital inputs for the BNC connection. 

Best see what your own preference will be ...

Many regards, Michel

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Steve w

Hi ..yes I am connected via Ethernet and make use of the Core on Nova and Qb ..v pleased with the results!    Perhaps the question arose as a result of too much sitting about over the holiday period!   Was just wondering if anyone else had differing views to this way of doing things.

steve.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Gazza

If you use the BNC connection you have to switch the Nova input that the Core is connected to.....ON, in the App. Then use the Core App to play the music( not servers in the Nova app).... you will have no cd artwork on the Nova screen. I tried various interconnects inc Naim DC1, no real difference to my ears, after I had got a cheap Cisco 2960 Ethernet switch. Before the switch I marginally preferred BNC....a little more vibrant.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Rich 1

Most dealers suggest Ethernet, as to why, you'll have to ask them !

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Gazza

It’s the advice from Naim, was talking to Mike from a Naim at Audio show east and that was the recommendation based on SQ. He also recommended that you turn off all input/ outputs not being used......as they are powered and drain from those in actual use. My ears can,t hear any difference......but there is a logic based on the Naim fanatical attention to power supplies.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Bart

Another benefit to using ethernet is that you might want to / might be able to locate the Core outside of your music listening room.  I'm a bit ocd about it, but I wanted zero moving parts / whirring disks on my Fraim.  

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by ChrisSU

The only real way to tell which option sounds best is to try it for yourself, as it will, to some extent, depend on your system and network. I wouldn't take too much notice of the official line from Naim or your dealer, as they sell lots of streamers and virtually no DACs, so they are hardly going to steer you away from the UPnP streamers that are the mainstay of their range of sources. Having said that, the Core needs an Ethernet connection in order to work, so unless the sound is noticeably better over SPDIF, there's no point in using it.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Ravenswood10

I have both connected and to be honest it’s been an age since I’ve even bothered with SPDIF. When I did play around I couldn’t detect much difference via my NDS/555PS DR.