Which remote for streaming

Posted by: The Naim's Dave on 02 January 2019

Just wondering which device you would recommend for using as a remote for an NDX2.

I was thinking of a Samsung Galaxy-tab-s2 with 8" screen

Latest price is £229

Any advice?

No I don't have a smart phone or other tablet.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Mike-B

I use both an Apple tablet & an Android phone & advise to go for an Apple (iOS) tablet simply because at the moment the Naim iOS app works better than the Naim Android app.   There should be nothing to choose between them,  but it's the way it is today.    

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by dknk

I use a Samsung Tablet, the Android app is perfectly fine. 

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Pev

Same here - any Android tablet will be fine. My Lenovo Yoga 3 cost <£100.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Pcd

I’ve used both personnely I would favour the IOS app.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Woj

I agree that iOS device would be best. After years of using android tablets and android phones I bought finally an iPad and finally the streamer connects as it should (quickly), the upnp server does not disappear frequently, the main app (an Roon) launches fast. It is a shame that android implementation  is not as good, for some reason. On the other hand I only use the iPad as a remote so it is a waste of money (I cannot get my head around iTunes and the fact that user cannot simply copy and paste files etc).

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Obsydian

I use a Samsung Note 8, Samsung Tab S2 9.7 and an iPad Mini.

I've always preferred the Samsung's when using the Naim app, even though more bugs than IOS and the iPad Mini.

But since streaming with Bubble UPnP, I only use Samsung's (no IOS app) plus the app allows control from the lockscreen.

£229 is steep for an 8 inch Tab S2, and resale is very poor compared to Apple, like WOJ says the iPad becomes a remote albeit an expensive one.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Clive B

I use an Apple iPad mini. This works fine even though it's an old mark one model and the iOS is a bit out of date. I also use an iPhone which is better as it uses the latest iOS and gives a better experience with the Naim kit, albeit on a much smaller screen. I just bought a new iPad mini mark 4 for my wife, which is very good with the Naim app (same as with iPhone). It wasn't that much more costly than you quote for an android machine. Being Apple it's also very intuitive and interfaces seemlessly with iPhones. 

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Rich 1

I use both and prefer ios. Having said that if someone else is using the iPad I'm quite happy using the android phone. You won't miss what you haven't tried. Rich 

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by David Stewart

I've been using the Android app on a Samsung S2 tablet and an A3 phone, it behaves fine on both, better  since the recent updates to the app. It was pretty flaky before. I don't think I'd want to shell out the considerable cost of the iPad, particularly as we have no other Apple products in the house. Best spend the ££££s on music! As mentioned by Obsydian, another benefit of Android is being able to use BubbleUPNP as an alternative controller which will provide access o Qobuz and other sources not handled by the native app.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Stevie Bart

I was using a Samsung Tab A and Samsung phone n my NDX2 - had all sorts of problems / freezing display / constant rebooting etc. Started using my wifes IPad and everythings fine.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by bluejays

Hi all just a quickie I'm considering getting ND5XS2 streamer .what suggestions would you recommend the ethernet cable would be about 1 metre long going into an EE router. Please keep it simple I ain't really a techie. Many thanks 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by raym55
bluejays posted:

Hi all just a quickie I'm considering getting ND5XS2 streamer .what suggestions would you recommend the ethernet cable would be about 1 metre long going into an EE router. Please keep it simple I ain't really a techie. Many thanks 

While there are 'audiophile' ethernet cables available, I fail to notice any difference between them and ordinary catv. I wouldnt spend more than a fiver but the choice is yours.

Yes I thought so more of a psychological marketing .Many thanks 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Stevie Bart

I bought a cinnamon cable for use with my NDX2. Cant tell any difference to a cheap one

Hi Steve thought so. Suppose the best advice is those two things we all have each side of our heads