Naim Speakers Cable and Hifi-System positioning

Posted by: Leon di San Marco on 02 January 2019

Hi everybody and happy new year!

I'm thinking about buying a pair of NAC A5 cables for connecting a Supernait2 to a pair of adorable Duevel Bella Luna, and I came across an interesting thread by Richard Dane (https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...-for-naim-amplifiers). What I don't really understand is why would it be so bad positioning the system between the speakers. Is it only because meters of cable would lie there unbeautifully on the floor or is there a real sonic issue? The only problem I can think of is that of the cartridge of a turntable possibly picking up some sound coming from the speakers and creating feedbacks and so on. But Richard didn't mention that...he only spoke about speakers and amplifier. Richard, would you please explain this? Thanks!!!!!

Marco

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Loki

You are right Marco, if you follow the advice on cable length then you will have metres of coiled cable, depending on the length of the wall and the distance of speakers from kit. However, there are sonic benefits to be had from taking your TT and amps away from the speakers. All equipment is microphonic to some degree, no matter how good the isolation provided by supports and cases. A point down one side wall away from the direct line of fire by the speakers is optimum for these reasons. Also the equipment will no longer break up the bass reinforcement of the wall behind the speakers. With AV systems it is largely unavoidable if you use a plasma or LED screen (rather than a projection screen). 

My main advice would be to experiment and see if the benefit in SQ outweighs the visual amenity of a centrally placed rack of kit; but do not, repeat, don't skimp in the cable length. It really does make a difference. 3.5m is the absolute minimum per channel, 7m -9m the optimum, I believe.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Leon di San Marco

Thank you Loki!

I have two possibilities: either a TV screen or the Hifi System between/behind the speakers. I tend to believe that a flat, reflecting surface such as a screen would do more harm to the sonic results than the rack tower, wouldn't it?

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Mike Sullivan
Leon di San Marco posted:

Thank you Loki!

I have two possibilities: either a TV screen or the Hifi System between/behind the speakers. I tend to believe that a flat, reflecting surface such as a screen would do more harm to the sonic results than the rack tower, wouldn't it?

I have my system in the TV cabinet and the speakers either side, but forward to avoid reflection. It a listening zone in a large open plan room.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Leon di San Marco
Mike Sullivan posted:
I have my system in the TV cabinet and the speakers either side, but forward to avoid reflection. It a listening zone in a large open plan room.

Thank you Mike! I suppose you mention that because it sounds ok, right? My Speakers are omnidirectional, so they also are placed at least 1 meter from the wall...that should help a little...

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Jonn

I used to have my two stacks of equipment on a side wall away from the speakers but due to a change in room arrangements they are now between the speakers. Did I notice any degradation in sound? No none at all.

See if you can borrow a set of speaker cables to try out in different locations and then decide what lengths to buy.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Bailyhill

I have my two Fraims between the speakers, but at my wife's insistence, because of the view of the water, each only use a base and one shelf level--shelves are 5 and 11 inches high.  This is low compared to the height of the speakers (58 inches), and the sound stage is quite nice.  I have no space on the left and right, nor rear walls for the Fraim.  Its another option for those with similar constraints.

Bailyhill

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Mike Sullivan
Leon di San Marco posted:
Mike Sullivan posted:

Thank you Mike! I suppose you mention that because it sounds ok, right? My Speakers are omnidirectional, so they also are placed at least 1 meter from the wall...that should help a little...

Yes Leon, set forward like this in my main system:

Hi Fi

System view

And the second system in the media room:

Untitled

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Leon di San Marco

That view...wow!!

Well, I decided for the system instead of the screen behind the speakers. I haven't listened to any music yet but I thought that a flat screen can do more damage than an empty wall. Besides, next to the system, on both sides, I put some cd shelves which should help to break the reflections.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Loki
Jonn posted:

I used to have my two stacks of equipment on a side wall away from the speakers but due to a change in room arrangements they are now between the speakers. Did I notice any degradation in sound? No none at all.

See if you can borrow a set of speaker cables to try out in different locations and then decide what lengths to buy.

Good advice Jonn. The extra cables certainly would make it easier to experiment.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by RaceTripper

I moved my system to the side wall years ago. In addition I took the record shelves from the side wall and put them on the wall behind the speakers, where the system was previously. The unanticipated benefit is that all the records on their shelves – with the uneven surface from all the record spines across the front – act as a diffuser for reflections, thus helping to provide improved soundstage across the front. It all looks better too, IMO.

My NACA5 cables are 7m. The right channel is just long enough to go around the back of the record shelves. The left channel cable sits under the brawn Fraim in a snake-life affair, as described in the FAQ.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Leon di San Marco

Racetripper...it looks great! I had the luxury of a dedicated music room in my last apartment. In the new one I had to place the whole system in the living room...that's why I don't have much of a chance of experimenting. And thank God I have a very sympathetic and understanding wife!! I'm sure that that beautiful bunch of records behind the speakers helps a lot for the acoustic!

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by RaceTripper

Thanks Leon. My wife and I love this room. We make a point to play records and share some wine every Friday night, at a minimum. I enjoy sitting a listening to records a lot (if I'm not working or riding my bike).

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Bart

I started with my system between my speakers, but soon moved it off to the side and greatly preferred the improvement to the soundstage.

When my speakers are well-positioned, they sonically disappear and the soundstage is largely between them.  Having the system moved out from that same physical location definitely improved things.  But if it's not possible in one's room....well then it's not possible.  There are other "things" that would improve my overall set-up that for various reasons are not possible in my room.