nac 552 binding post

Posted by: SensationFreak on 02 January 2019

Hello,

I want to understand the potential use of the nac 552 binding post.

I understand it is connected to the 552 AC ground? or is it to the massive brass ground plane inside the 552 (BTW what is its use??)

In the user manual, i can see that this is especially devoted to an optional naim phono preamp.

In that particular use, what is the technical explanation for me understanding why you need to use it in that case

However I would like to understand why its use is only for this product and for what technical reason/explanation?

Could this binding post be used for other purposes? (please be creative!)

In my system I have also nap 500 and I use various non naim sources

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Richard Dane

It's for a Prefix, which can be powered from the AUX2 on the NAC552 or a dedicated power supply.  

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by yeti42

I was considering using it to provide a signal earth connection to ground for the system when I replaced my CDX2 (which went to my system in France) with a Core and a Rega DAC (which is double insulated) but a DVD5 I hadn’t used in years did the job of providing the ground connection to signal earth and earnt its place even if never coming off standby. With a 552 the effect of having a signal ground connection (and giving it priority on the block) was quite audible, even from another room, making music fron the turntable or DAC  more coherent.