Listening impressions xp5xs

Posted by: Seaman on 02 January 2019

Good evening!

As I have had a lot of joy and insights reading on this forum, its time to give a little something back. I recently posted that I had ordered the xp5xs (demoex) to, hopefully, increase the overall experience of my system.

So, today, it arrived!

Unboxing the black box went smooth and after some mindwrestling and actual wrestling with the burndy it was ready to go;

The difference is very noticeble and veryfies what others have found regarding paring the xp5xs to the nd5xs. I played different kind of music for an hour or so and I must say that it is a keeper. A bigger soundstage, separation of instruments/nuances and more articulated bass. Its also making the music a little bit more relaxed to listen to. It will be a nice journey getting to know the newcomer and its contributions.

The estetics was also boosted, filling the third shelf. The holy trinity! 

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Singlespeed

Good stuff Seaman, keep us posted on developments, as you should hear further improvements as the unit settles into it's new home  

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by HiFiman

Excellent result Seaman give it a day or two to warm up the XP5XS is one great PSU.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by HiFiman

Forgot to mention your setup looks spot on

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Iver van de Zand

Very nice and happy for you. I recently also added a PowerSupply to my streamer. It makes the sound more authorative and refined. Enjoy your nice set up

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Seaman

Thank you! I will post my findings!

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Fueller

Glad you’ve found a good upgrade - and as HiFiman points out your setup looks great, just a turntable on the top shelf and you’re done ????

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Christopher_M

Good news, please keep us posted.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Seaman

I really like what the xp5xs brings to the party. I have listened to different kind of music (rock, pop, jazz etc) the last days and overall the most striking thing for me is the more defined bass and separation of instruments and voices. In higher volumes I dont detect any sharp sounds, which I occasionally experince without the powersupply. The soundstage is wider but also expands a little more upwards. As you point out Iver; its also more authorative. The powersupply gives more of the XS-sound without changing the soundsignature to something else. I have heard most of the other powersupplies in bigger systems and know what they are capable of and its nice that the xp5xs does the same but in another (XS) context. 

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by wrc

Seaman, glad to hear about the success you’ve had with the xp5xs.  Your description of the improvements is very close to how I would describe it. It’s been a super upgrade for me. Have fun and enjoy the music.