New Year New Jeans

Posted by: TOBYJUG on 03 January 2019

Most people spend the most depressing time of the year giving up the things they love.  I like to start the year with some fresh new jeans.

Years ago I read that the best way to wear them was to get a few and only wear one of them a day or so before neatly hanging them up for another. This way you can get them to look great over some time and not even have to wash them - as washing kills that fresh fluffy nap and turns them into a thin crispy version of what they were !

For years I wore Diesel jeans. Having short stocky legs, most of what they offered made them look good.  Recent years have had the fashion particularly aimed at tall skinny chaps who want it tight - and making me look ridiculous trying to try them on in the changing cubical.   After ages looking I found Nudie Jeans. Who make a relaxed skinny that I can fit into and feel great.

I have been wearing Nudie Jeans for a good while now. They are awesome, and with an eco friendly attitude.  I even have a pair bought 5 years ago that have never been washed.

It's coming to that time for a fresh new stash.   Any other jean lovers with recommendations ? Or would wish to share their preferences?

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Guinnless

Only ever wore Levi 501's.  Black ones these days though.

As for not washing clothes. Yuk!

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by GraemeH

Black 501’s here too.

G

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Ardbeg10y

I mostly wear https://www.kingsofindigo.com Jeans and Church / Crockett and Jones / Santoni / Van Bommel (only the old) shoes.

As a real man, I know exactly where to buy them for good prices so that I can maximize my time at the Hifi dealer while spending a minimum time and money at fashion shops.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Guinnless

My daily wear is black Jeans and a black T-shirt. Fashion? Whassat ?

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Richard Dane
Guinnless posted:

Only ever wore Levi 501's.  Black ones these days though.

As for not washing clothes. Yuk!

I was driving and listening to R4 a day or so ago and there was a short programme on about ways to cut down on the amount we each consume.  Regarding clothes, it recommended that we wear them as much as possible but try to avoid cleaning them, particularly if using a washing machine and dryer, which have a big carbon footprint over the lifetime of the clothes.  Jeans were recommended though, mainly because we were told that they don't need washing - supposedly sticking them in the freezer overnight brings them up all clean and fresh and ready to wear another day. Fascinating stuff, but I can't say I'm in any hurry to stick my jeans in the freezer to try it out...

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

Tried 501s. Short stocky legs make them fall with a saggy bum.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Gazza

Stocked up in a Florida last year Wranglers were 15 dollars and Levi,s.....not sure which ones were just under 20 dollars. Before we went to the U.S I looked in Debenhams, the Levi,s were £70.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by rodwsmith

There was a programme on BBC Radio 4 yesterday which recommended not washing jeans, but instead freezing then every so often (which kills nasties, and leaves them feeling ‘clean’ (apparently)).

Personally I walk the dog in the countryside, and acquire a degree of mud I doubt any freezer could resolve.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Kevin-W

White 501s (a nightmare to keep clean, so I have two pairs at any one time), black 501s and Gap slim fit blue denim jeans. Generally I Find Gap jeans fit me quite well.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Bob the Builder

I gave up wearing jeans about 5 years ago and now only wear chino type trousers about two weeks before Christmas I found an old pair of 501's at the bottom of a cupboard and have worn them a couple of times since,  classics and very comfortable too look great with a smart pair of shoes.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Alfa4life

Another black 501 wearer here

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

Hardcore jeanists apparently wear raw thick selvedge's for a few years before a good wash, to get a personalised effect.

my furniture is too bright for that and blue dye would be everywhere.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Christopher_M

I've found the fit and look of 501s to be improved with a belt.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Stephen packer

I always wore 501s in the past... but in recent years I think the quality of the denim has reduced and they really don't last as they used to.

Also... they never fitted correctly, my thighs are too big for my waist so they were either baggy around the waist (and cinched in by a belt) or tight on the thighs.   I found a company that custom made jeans (in India) to your measurements and then shipped to the UK.  Took about 3-4 weeks from order and cost the same (give or take) as a pair of 501s.  I'd do it again.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Stevee_S

I've been wearing either black or blue jeans for as long as I can remember, Wrangler's fit me that bit better than Levis so they are my go to brand. Oh, and I prefer a zipper fly rather than buttons. 

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Eoink

I wear either hiking trousers or black jeans. For a long time I wore Levi 511s, which fitted my skinny legs and came in a short size to allow for my "medium height". They stopped selling those in the UK as far as I could see, and other branded jeans tend to billow around my pipecleaners, so I now wear M&S black jeans. Apart from feeling very middle-aged as "man at M&S", I like them and they fit.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by count.d

I used to wear Diesel, but their fashion has gone too torn and rough over the past 3 years or so. I’ve gone a bit Jeans mad recently and have far too many. They’re nearly all Boss in my wardrobe now. I find they offer the best subtle colour choices, fading choice, cotton choice and fit selection (especially online). The cuts are so accurate I can safely buy online and get the fit spot on most of the time (delaware for slim cut, maine for slightly wider if wearing boots, etc). Their finest Italian fabric range look particularly refined.

For something slightly different, Paige make good jeans, but not that easy to buy here.

Regarding washing jeans, if you wash at 30c delicate in a good washing machine using colour powder, they take many, many washes before any signs of fading. Well my Boss do in my Miele. I have the same two Boss jeans bought at the same time, one still has the sales label on it and never worn, the other has been washed a few times over the past three years and there’s no difference visually or feel (and that’s the more delicate finest Italian fabric). Not washing is one of those internet myths that gets copied & pasted and is pretty disgusting anyway.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by ewemon

Still wear Levis after all these years. Remember buying the unshrunk variety in my teenage years and sitting either in a bath of water or on the beach letting the sea wash over you to shrink them. Came back from the States once with 3 suitcases full of them for friends as they were so expensive over here.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by sjbabbey

Wranglers here too but remember the flemings supatuff jeans of my yoof from their shop at the top of County Rd in Walton. 

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Mulberry

Blue 501s for me nearly all the time. The cut fits my lanky frame, finding a pair in 34 W 36 L still isn’t easy however. Back in the eighties and early nineties I had quite a few ones from Closed, the straight pocket type. Once the legs started to get shorter and the overall fit wider I moved on, first to Levi’s 751 and later to the 501.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Bob the Builder
Eoink posted:

I wear either hiking trousers or black jeans. For a long time I wore Levi 511s, which fitted my skinny legs and came in a short size to allow for my "medium height". They stopped selling those in the UK as far as I could see, and other branded jeans tend to billow around my pipecleaners, so I now wear M&S black jeans. Apart from feeling very middle-aged as "man at M&S", I like them and they fit.

Nothing wrong with being a 'man at M&S' I think they make some very smart, reasonably fashionable clothes,  well fashionable enough for a man of 49.  I can usually make a couple of trips a year to Marks's and get kitted out nicely my only real indulgence so far as clothes go is shoes.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by count.d

I have far too many shoes, jeans, shirts, jackets, suit jackets and leather jackets, yet still managed to avoid a dickie bow all my life. 

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Christopher_M
Bob the Builder posted:

Nothing wrong with being a 'man at M&S' .....

Yeah, but where's the rock n roll in 'Blue Harbour' ?! 

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Pev

So just me that pays well under a tenner at Primark then? For me they are a perfect fit and last about a year or so. The weak point is that the pockets wear out due to me carrying loose change,  but apart from that they seem just as good as the Levis I tried recently when on offer at a Levis outlet store.

Best thing is that it's no big deal if they get oil on them from riding or fixing one of my old bikes.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Mike Hughes

A thread on jeans! End of days.

Might try that freezer idea though.