Subwoofer to Hicap?

Posted by: MangoMonkey on 03 January 2019

Running a Nac72/HiCapDR/Nap250DR. 

Is it safe/advisable to connect a Subwoofer to one of the three 4-pin outputs of the HiCap? The HiCap has 3 outputs - are they all the same? ( I found a 4 pin to RCA cable that I'm using).

I've got it hooked up and it seems to work - not done any phase integration yet...

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Richard Dane

You can do that - the Hicap just provides a stereo pre-out on each DIN4.  However, you need to be careful as the Hicap was never designed to drive a long interconnect.  Naim themselves used to fit a 100R resistor to the DIN4 on their own subwoofer lead to ensure stability.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

Thanks.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by RaceTripper

I once tried connecting my REL to my HiCap. It sounded terrible and I could never get it integrated very well. I use the REL high-level inputs and connect from my speaker terminals. That sounds great. I now have a stereo pair and don't know how that would work with a HiCap anyway (I suppose a DIN -> stereo RCA cable would be required).

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Bart

I think that you can buy a din to RCA lead with a resister (to the Naim spec) already fitted -- I forget where I saw it but will look!

Edit:  It's from Flashback Sales in the UK. They ship to the US

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by p.

My B&W DB3D subwoofer is connected to the hicap via din-rca interconnect. Sounds quite good for me, yet maybe I should give this cable with resistor fitted a try?!

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Got Hi-Fi?
Bart posted:

I think that you can buy a din to RCA lead with a resister (to the Naim spec) already fitted -- I forget where I saw it but will look!

Edit:  It's from Flashback Sales in the UK. They ship to the US

That's where I got my sub cable from, they seem to ship everywhere, and make great quality product!