Cannot "Play from this track" via the app in UPnP

Posted by: Rogert366 on 03 January 2019

The problem occurs with some playlists that I have compiled on my Synology DS 214 NAS.

I have no problem with ordinary albums that I have ripped to the NAS - I touch the 3 dots to the right of the track title on the app and I have options which include  "Play from this track". 

But in Playlists (which include more than one artist), I don't get the option (just Play, Queue next and Queue last).  But I do get the option on Playlists which are made up of only one artist.  I am not aware of any difference in the way in which I have compiled the respective lists on the DS.

I hope that there is someone out there with the patience to understand what I am on about!  And who is kind enough to help with what might seem like a pretty minor problem.

Thanks in anticipation.

Roger

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Mike-B

I believe  playlist can be just a link to to the track stored on the HDD & individual tracks don't carry a path mapped to each album & track.  But I'm no expert on playlists & others may have a solution.      It would be useful to know what UPnP media server software you are using,  Synology's 'Media Server' or the 3rd party package Minimserver,   also what Naim app, iOS or Android just to fill in the blanks.       With my Synology I don't have playlists compiled in the normal way, mine are effectively individual tracks copied into a compilation album stored as such on my HDD & after a touch of metadata editing I can use Play From This Track.   

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Rogert366

Thanks for the interest.  I am using the Synology software and the app is iOS.

Roger

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by ChrisSU

I think you'll find that this is the case regardless of the server software you use, although I won't try to guess exactly why. If you want a solution, create your playlists in the Naim app, and you will see the 'play from this track' option included. The only problem with doing this is that I find the playlists can be prone to corruption, which can be rather irritating. 

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Rogert366

Thanks Chrissu.  I have previously experienced problems with creating playlists via the app. On an earlier version of the app, my recollection is that they got deleted if you deleted and reinstalled the app.  I presume that that is no longer the case?

Roger

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by ChrisSU

The app playlists do seem unreliable, so not an ideal solution, just an observation that they do not have the same issue you describe in playlists stored on the NAS/server. 

As a workaround, I was thinking that you could save your NAS stored playlists as app playlists to give you this function if you need it, then they are effectively backed up when the app loses them. This may sound a bit clumsy, but in practice it would only take a few seconds. 

That sounds like a good idea, CHRISSU, thank you. 

But I should be ever so grateful if you could explain to me how to do it!

Roger

Play the playlist that’s stored on your NAS. 

In the Play Queue screen, tap the ... at the top, and choose the option ‘Add to new UPnP playlist’

You will then have a new version of the same playlist stored on the app. 

Brilliant!  Thank you ever so much CHRISSU.

Roger

You’re welcome!