Standmount speaker for Uniti Atom?

Posted by: Akvavit on 04 January 2019

I just took delivery of a new Uniti Atom - can't wait to start listening to it!

However I have been thinking about selling my Triangle Genese and move to a good standmount speaker instead - but I'm at a loss as to which might suit the Atom?

I'm no bass-head and not a fan of too sharp highs - besides that, I'm open to just about anything.

Bonus points for speakers that will fit into an interior with a fair bit of scandinavian late 50's -> 70's teak and rosewood furniture

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by raym55

Harbeth P3ESR. Lovely speaker. Sounds great to me and the Atom drives them well if you keep away from deafening volume. 

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

Budget? Neat Iota or Kudos C10 is where I’d start.

Regards,

Lindsay 

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Akvavit

[@mention:77314878571569350] - I've been hearing great things about Harbeth, will try to see if I can find a place here in Denmark to get a listen!

[@mention:1566878604010590] - Not a super fixed budget, but would like not to go crazy - so maybe a max of 2500£ for the pair.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by raym55
Posted on: 04 January 2019 by badlyread

Akvavit

You say you don't want too much bass but bass should be just is. 

Look here: https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...er-pairing-with-bass

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Cato

I have an atom too and use the Neat Iota monitors - they sound pretty good but you need to turn up the volume quite a bit to get the sound out of the small boxes - as such I am also on the lookout for something in a class or two above. The atom is very musical in my opinion and deserves better speakers. Incidentally, I recently (but briefly) heard the atom with Audiovector QE1s in a shop and sounded pretty good, a much bigger and more engaging sound than my Iotas. I would like to explore this option in more detail

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Dan.S

PMC 20.22. Sensitive and placement forgiving.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Lifesabreeze

Checkout Totem Acoustic range of stand mounts and even their smaller floor standers, unsure about availability and pricing in Denmark. The work very well with Naim

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by yeti42

Try native first then, usually better value in their homeland. Dynaudio would seem to be a good speaker to try being local and there are others if I remember correctly. Larsen are near neighbours too but dealer advice and auditioning is the key, especially with that last one. 

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Akvavit

Thanks for alle the suggestions folks, really appreciate it!

I've not fully decided yet if I'll get rid of the floor standers, to go down a size - a little more listening will be required. But as of now - if I opt to go this route, I'll try to get my hands (ears) on some of your suggestions.

Also I was recommended the Audiovector SR 1 Signatur - something about Naim frequently using Audiovector when showcasing their gear?

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Jason

Dynaudio Special 40 would definitely be on my list; compact, attractive and seem well liked.  I have only heard them in a brief demonstration, not at home which wasn't ideal but I liked them.  If my budget had been £2500, they would have been a very serious contender and I would have had them for a home demo.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Perol
Jason posted:

Dynaudio Special 40 would definitely be on my list; compact, attractive and seem well liked.  I have only heard them in a brief demonstration, not at home which wasn't ideal but I liked them.  If my budget had been £2500, they would have been a very serious contender and I would have had them for a home demo.

Lots of Dynaudio recommendations in here

But notice these usually need some distance from backwall along with a powerful amplication, the Atom isn't

A good budget choice if OP can find some cared original Heybrook HB1 or Snell K/1. Older Dali 104's are surpricingly good value but sort of standmount

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by ChrisG
Cato posted:

I have an atom too and use the Neat Iota monitors - they sound pretty good but you need to turn up the volume quite a bit to get the sound out of the small boxes - as such I am also on the lookout for something in a class or two above. The atom is very musical in my opinion and deserves better speakers. Incidentally, I recently (but briefly) heard the atom with Audiovector QE1s in a shop and sounded pretty good, a much bigger and more engaging sound than my Iotas. I would like to explore this option in more detail

Cato

Exactly my Iota experience with my Superuniti in my study system, they need cranking up to sound correct, at low or medium volume I find them totally uninvolving. I plan to change them for that reason, pity because they are the perfect desktop size.

Chris

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Peakman
Akvavit posted:

Thanks for alle the suggestions folks, really appreciate it!

I've not fully decided yet if I'll get rid of the floor standers, to go down a size - a little more listening will be required. But as of now - if I opt to go this route, I'll try to get my hands (ears) on some of your suggestions.

Also I was recommended the Audiovector SR 1 Signatur - something about Naim frequently using Audiovector when showcasing their gear?

The Atom/Dynaudio Emit M20 room was making some of the best sounds I heard at last years Acoustica show.  And the Dyns are very reasonably priced, even if you add matching stands.

Roger

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Mercky

I believe also that Harbeth P3’s are really nice match with the Atom. Be careful with the Atom though, good as it is you need to make sure you keep the synergy right and that the Atom stays in charge with authority and not the other way around, I would agree the dyna s40’s would not be the best match for that reason. 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Brubacca

I use a pair of Dali Zensor 3 with my Qute.  Nice fun combo .

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Atom/Iota/Kan Stands

I use an Atom with Neat Iotas and unlike one or two other posters here I think they are great, even at low levels, but I listen in my study which is a relatively small room. 

When I auditioned my equipment I listened to several speakers and the Iotas were instantly right, but that is to my ears, I suggest you listen to several options and the answer may well reveal itself. 

Your budget is way above the Iotas (in the U.K. they are c.£700), so if you can find a dealer you may want to explore further up the range.

Finally, I was very impressed by speakers from Russell K at a show I attended recently. I do not know if they are easy to find where you are, what they would sound like with the Atom or if they are even compatible, but I loved the natural presentation, so if you can hear them I would suggest you do.  

Good luck. 

Tony

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by JohnnyTT

I recently demoed a bunch of small speakers.  My favorites were 

Spendor classic 3/1

Guru q10

Everything from harbeth 

I also heard the spendors side by side with the special 40's. To my ears, the spendors made me sit back and enjoy the music. I just couldn't get into the 40's. They sounded good, but after comparing, I didn't want to listen to them anymore. 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Zipperheadbanjo

Listen to the Atom with Totem Sky monitors. Amazing speakers and Totem always sound great with Naim gear... especially good value if you happen to live in Canada.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Zipperheadbanjo

I also heard a pair of Totem Signature Model One's on the end of a Uniti Atom... that was a jaw dropping combination... more $$ for the SM1's though.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Richi

I have been driving my Dynaudio Contour 3.4 S LE loudspeakers with the Atom en this sounds fantastic. A separate Naim power amplifier will give you more reserve, but the overall sound characteristic is already perfect for me with the Atom + Dynaudio combination. It is an excellent match.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Akvavit

Again, thanks a bunch for all the suggestions - really appreciate it!

Just out of curiosity... if/when I switch to some nice standmount speakers, and I at some point find that I need a bit more bass - how do I go about connecting a sub to the Atom? It might never been something I'll opt for - but it just got me thinking.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by badlyread

Get the speakers right and you will not need more bass. Easy. 

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by ChrisSU
Akvavit posted:

Again, thanks a bunch for all the suggestions - really appreciate it!

Just out of curiosity... if/when I switch to some nice standmount speakers, and I at some point find that I need a bit more bass - how do I go about connecting a sub to the Atom? It might never been something I'll opt for - but it just got me thinking.

The Atom has an RCA pre out suitable for a sub, or for a sub that has a high level input, you can connect to the speaker terminals. 

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Wayne Collins

Recently changed my listening arrangements into a smaller room and have gone for Atom with PMC Twenty5 21's in Piano Black using PMC's own stands. Very happy as the room is small 12x9.5 ish and listening across the narrow width with 35cm behind each speaker. Using toe in to finish the positioning off. Managed to get a deal where the stands were thrown in so happy with the price.

Tried B&W 705S2 as my next fave alternative in stand mount but have other PMC's in the house so maybe heart over head but not a look back now. Watching TV and movies as well as Tidal/Spotify and NAS/FLAC's and movies are the surprise package - great in small room.