Speaker Upgrade, but is it necessary?

Posted by: NJB on 04 January 2019

I have been thinking about an upgrade from my Dynaudio Focus 160s for a while, with Dynaudio Special 40s as my aspiration.  However, I listen at modest volume levels and people have suggested that Dynaudio is not a good choice because of their reputation as liking to be driven hard.  My Naim 282/250.2 amplifier should have enough control and power for Dynaudio but at low volumes then I guess that it is possible that the speakers fail to attain their sweet spot.  That is, from my interpretation, what people are telling me.  Thus, perhaps my Focus 160s are not going to be too shabby under the circumstances.

Thoughts?

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

In answer to your question it certainly isn’t necessary as those 160s are a lovely speaker but would you benefit?  No doubt the 282/250 has the grunt for the 40s but the point about low and moderate listening leads to speaker/room interface and there are few more important issues in hifi configuration.  

I guess there’s only one way to find out and that’s a home demo.  But if you are content with what you have?

Regards,

Lindsay

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Christopher_M

What is your main source?

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by 911gt3r

Hi NJB.

If you did a system run down on your profile, I am sure that people here would be happy to scratch your itch somewhere else in your system because why change? ATB Peter

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by NJB

Thanks for the feedback. The upgrade wish is an itch that will not go away, but my system still hits the mark. 

I run a Bluesound Node 2 with SSD based music library, into a Chord Qutest via a Chord Clearway SPDIF cable. The Qutest feeds into the 282 via an Atlas Equator III. The 282 is fed by two PSU and the 250.2 runs through NAC A5 to the Focus 160s. 

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

Well that is all good enough.  Really depends on whether there are speakers that would be better in your room.  I would though consider a Supercap for the 282.  

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by 911gt3r

SEE!! ????

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Popeye

Certain speakers certainly do prefer a bit of current to get them singing as they should. I have noticed that certain speakers seem unbalanced at lower listening levels and you may notice one particular driver dominates the other and things sound out of unison. 

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Kevin-W

[@mention:53519507262520517] - I have Special 40s being driven by an Olive 250, and they are absolutely fine at lower volumes.

However, they do like to be placed some distance from the wall (55cm in my case) so that is something to consider. As ever with speakers, a home dem is essential.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski

Sometimes newer / bigger speakers don’t mean better.

Just optimise your main system / source and spend the money on more music 

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by NJB
Adam Zielinski posted:

Wise words for sure but the upgrade bug is a tough one to beat with logic!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski
NJB posted:
Adam Zielinski posted:

Wise words for sure but the upgrade bug is a tough one to beat with logic!

To quote from Metallica... sad, but true...