Am I right ???

Posted by: The Naim's Dave on 04 January 2019

Am I right in thinking I could store around 750 CDs onto this external SSD memory, and use it to "feed" my NDX2 ?

Need another for back up of course.

SAMSUNG T5 External SSD - 500 GB

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by engjoo

Correct. (1CD ~ 750Mb or 0.75GB). I would say get a 1TB. 

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by The Naim's Dave

Larger sizes are available but price increases rapidly after 500 GB but yes I take your point about a bigger capacity.

Its just that an SSD doesn't need any fans/cooling and since it has no moving parts, it potentially lasts longer (for ever???).

Plus its very small and could just hang from the back of the streamer

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by badlyread

I believe that they have a limited number of writes/reads so do not last forever. 

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Bart

I'd get a 1 tb.  I have lossless "redbook" quality (std. cd quality) in flac, and many high res files, and 1700 albums are taking up about 1.5 TB of storage.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by ChrisSU

The capacity of a CDR is 700MB, but in practice, a music CD is often quite a bit smaller, and then smaller again if you store in FLAC rather than WAV. For example, I have a drive with about 600 CD rips stored in FLAC, and the space used is a little under 200MB. If you have hi-res files, they will be a lot bigger, though. Also, remember that you should never fill a drive completely full.

I'm not convinced that SSDs are worth paying extra for, when you can get something like a WD MyPassport 1TB drive for about £33.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Bailyhill
The Naim's Dave posted:

Am I right in thinking I could store around 750 CDs onto this external SSD memory, and use it to "feed" my NDX2 ?

Need another for back up of course.

SAMSUNG T5 External SSD - 500 GB

One other thing to consider is that the NDX/Naim likes to read FAT32 files.  You will have to reformat these drives I beleive.

Bailyhill

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by sjbabbey
ChrisSU posted:

The capacity of a CDR is 700MB, but in practice, a music CD is often quite a bit smaller, and then smaller again if you store in FLAC rather than WAV. For example, I have a drive with about 600 CD rips stored in FLAC, and the space used is a little under 200MB. If you have hi-res files, they will be a lot bigger, though. Also, remember that you should never fill a drive completely full.

I'm not convinced that SSDs are worth paying extra for, when you can get something like a WD MyPassport 1TB drive for about £33.

Chris, presumably the used space for your 600 CD rips is about 200GB rather than 200MB i.e. an average of a little over 300MB per CD.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by ChrisSU
sjbabbey posted:
ChrisSU posted:

Chris, presumably the used space for your 600 CD rips is about 200GB rather than 200MB i.e. an average of a little over 300MB per CD.

Woops! Yes, I meant GB!

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander

I have about 1200 albums, mostly CD quality but maybw a couple of hyndred higher resolution, stored as flac on a 1TB SSD, still with a bit of space left.