Tune vs Timing - What makes you tick?

Posted by: trunkmonkey on 04 January 2019

I have two Naits, each serviced by Class A in the past 12 months. The Green LED version is more tuneful. The Red LED version has better timing, particularly the synchronisation between players. I just tried the Green one again cos I do get the occassional distraction with off pitch notes on the Red one. But the Green is not nearly as communicative of the emotion in music. The Green makes it easier to follow a single melody and appreciate the musicanship of that player, but the music as a whole does not move me nearly as much. It would be nice to have the very best of both, but I am quite attached to the little Nait now and most of time it is certainly tuneful enough for me.

Have any other members had similar experiences?

I'm also curious what members feel is more important between tune and timing?

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

Never quite experienced the contrast in the way you suggest.   But the other day was listening to a track called Sixth Sense by Imelda May and there’s this point after the Bridge where the tempo very subtly increases but the impact was far far greater.  As they say timing is everything

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by trunkmonkey
The Strat (Fender) posted:

...where the tempo very subtly increases but the impact was far far greater.

Kind of building the tension I guess.

I think there are times when the tune is more valuable. I played 'Maneater' earlier and it opens with that famous bass line and simple drum beat. I missed the more tuneful and involving bass line I've heard on the Green Nait. However, once other elements joined the mix, then all that was forgotten.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

What your describing is the sort of thing players have over different vintages of a Fender strat. And your last sentence is like asking preferences between a strat to a les Paul.

Personally I like a good sprinkling of both. Nothing like knowing when that tone was dropped when it was intended.