Firm-fitting optical cable for ND5XS?

Posted by: Gajdzin on 04 January 2019

My TV computer is connected to ND5XS with QED Performance toslink cable. The plug fits in ND5XS optical socket very loosely - the slightest movement (such as from a cat's paw) and it comes out. I never had this problem with any other toslink / ADAT cable and I use a lot of them in my recording studio. Can you recommend one (in a similar price bracket) that stays in firmly?

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by ChrisSU

Toslink plugs do seem quite variable in this respect. I have a Flashback cable which seems better than most, although it is glass fibre rather than POF, therefore quite stiff, which may not help  

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski

Most odd... never had any problems with my QED optical cables. Use two - one from TV into a AV processor and one into my NDS (connecting MacBook Pro when doing some critical listening to latest mixes or practicing bass...

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Gajdzin
Adam Zielinski posted:

Most odd... never had any problems with my QED optical cables. Use two - one from TV into a AV processor and one into my NDS (connecting MacBook Pro when doing some critical listening to latest mixes or practicing bass...

You are right, Adam, it's not the cable. I just spent some dusty time behind the TV rack, got the cable out, and took it to the studio. It stays reasonably tight (not a VERY tight fit, but definitely not loose) in MOTU 828 and Audient ASP880, also NAD D1050 DAC. So it's definitely the ND5XS socket. I solved the problem temporarily by fitting a little optical angle adapter between the cable and the ND5XS that I got off Allegro  It fits very firmly. But I'd rather not go through an angle adapter if I don't have to... Plenty of space behind ND5XS in its Fraim rack...

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski

Sorted then

By the by... what do you use the TOSLINK for? Some noisy stuff, so galvanic isolation is critical? BNC offers a better sound quality 

ChrisSU posted:

Toslink plugs do seem quite variable in this respect. I have a Flashback cable which seems better than most, although it is glass fibre rather than POF, therefore quite stiff, which may not help  

Thanks for the recommendation, ChrisSU, but unfortunately Flashback cables are not sold in my country (Poland).

Adam Zielinski posted:

Sorted then

By the by... what do you use the TOSLINK for? Some noisy stuff, so galvanic isolation is critical? BNC offers a better sound quality 

My TV computer only has a toslink digital output and anyway I like to keep the PC with all its digital nasties galvanically isolated from the Naim rack. This is for watching TV only - not critical audio. For audio it's Synogy NAS via ethernet to ND5XS But in my recording studio there's plenty of optical (ADAT / SMUX) and I can not hear any degradation of sound quality comparing it with S/PDIF or AES/EBU. OK, top interfaces these days use MADI, AVB and other ethernet-based transmission systems, but ADAT is still used in many hi end pro setups.

But I digress. This is a post about looking for a toslink cable with somewhat oversized plugs

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by ChrisSU
Gajdzin posted:
ChrisSU posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, ChrisSU, but unfortunately Flashback cables are not sold in my country (Poland).

Flashback is a very small UK company, they sell from their own website and I’m sure they would deliver to Poland. However, note my comment about the actual cable being quite stiff. The plug fits OK in my NDX, but the stiffnass can make it a little difficult to route. 

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Mulberry

Hi Gajdzin,

I have used two different AudioQuest mini to full-size Toslink cables between a MacBook and the Naim DAC. The Diamond, which isn’t in the same price bracket (but is still in use here), and the Cinnamon which is were fine with the Toslink sockets in the DAC. Unless Naim uses different ones for the ND5XS you may find something useful among their products.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Gajdzin
ChrisSU posted:

Flashback is a very small UK company, they sell from their own website and I’m sure they would deliver to Poland. However, note my comment about the actual cable being quite stiff. The plug fits OK in my NDX, but the stiffnass can make it a little difficult to route. 

Thanks again, ChrisSU, I'll give it a try. My son is studying engineering at the University of Loughborough, I'll ask him to get me one when coming home for Easter break

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Unfortunately one of the main criticisms of Toslink is the connector itself. Too wide a tolerance and a rather imprecise interface.  So if you have a plug and a socket at either end of the tolerance, you either have an interface that's a bit too loose, or a bit too tight.  As the socket is usually the harder of the two to change, trying a different plug (and hence usually a different lead) is the best option.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by hifi-dog

A tiny bit of tape round the cable plug to slightly increase its diameter?

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Ravenswood10

I’ve tended to go for Chord Company optical cables which do the job well and are nicely made. I have one 5m length into my NDS from my Sky Q box and it’s a perfect fit.

hifi-dog posted:

A tiny bit of tape round the cable plug to slightly increase its diameter?

Thought about it... But for now the little angle adapter sits in very tight, except I wonder how much it degrades the signal bandwidth. I can't hear any sound deterioration, but then again this is just for TV...

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by hifi-dog

I’d leave it at that then as tv outputs are pretty poor anyhow...

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by JimDog

I have the same QED optical cable which also fits extremely loosely into any of the three 272 optical input slots and keeps falling out.

Why does a right-angle adapter fit tightly when a QED cable itself does not?

Which way do you direct the right angle?

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Daniel H.

I have the same setup: TV to ND5 XS with an optical cable. My Audioquest Vodka fits tightly into my ND5 XS. I previously had an Audioquest Forest that was also tight fitting. You might look at one of the Audioquest cables because they fit tightly into the ND5 XS. 

JimDog posted:

I have the same QED optical cable which also fits extremely loosely into any of the three 272 optical input slots and keeps falling out.

Why does a right-angle adapter fit tightly when a QED cable itself does not?

Which way do you direct the right angle?

Beause the adapter is made of cheap plastic (it cost less than 2 quid) and a bit oversized, I couldn't even push it into another DAC (NAD D1050) This is it: Toslink angle adapter

The angle can be directed any way you like, it turns 360 degrees.

Daniel H. posted:

I have the same setup: TV to ND5 XS with an optical cable. My Audioquest Vodka fits tightly into my ND5 XS. I previously had an Audioquest Forest that was also tight fitting. You might look at one of the Audioquest cables because they fit tightly into the ND5 XS. 

Many thanks, these are readily available in my country, I'll probably pick one up. I have an Audioquest ethernet cable leading from the router to my ND5XS.