Feedback on new Kitchen entertainment system

Posted by: GeeJay on 04 January 2019

Updated my kitchen system over Christmas to Sony KD-49XF9005 4K TV with Sonos Beam soundbar/smart speaker and Sony X800 4K BluRay player (in overhead cupboard);

Very pleased with resultant sound and picture in the Kitchen, with added benefit that Sonos is Alexa enabled, so we can voice control the TV or listen to the radio with a spoken command (useful when cooking). It also connects to the ARC HDMI socket on the TV, so nicely integrates sound using the Sony remote control.

The TV is one of Sony’s new Android sets and although the picture is one of the better LEDs (helped by local dimming tech), the Android system is quite clunky and slow to respond.  By stripping out the ‘bloatware’ (loads of unwanted apps), we’ve managed to speed up the response time enormously.  One of the useful apps on the Sony though is Kodi, which is used to stream our films and TV series (from our DVD and Blu-Rays) and stored on the NAS, with added benefit of extensive metadata (Big Bang Theory showing on photo above).  The  VLC player also allows UPNP streaming.

We used to have a Yamaha YAS-101 soundboard before (with a Panasonic TX-L42DT50B panel) and a non 4K BluRay player (Sony S790), and overall, this new system is a distinct improvement all round (even though we can’t use it for our collection of 3D films, but such is the way of the world that modern panels no longer support 3D)!

The Kitchen TV gets significant use by my wife and her sister, who both enjoy (and prefer) watching ‘their programs’ in the Kitchen (Strictly Come Dancing, Doctor Blake Mysteries, Poirot and Pride & Prejustice).  We also like to watch series like Friends, Frasier and the Big Bang theory together when we have a meal.

This new system is also our first entry into the Sonos ‘universe’, and I must say that for the size, the Beam certainly behaves very well for such a small size.  I briefly considered a Muso as a sound bar, but wall mounted size would have been an issue, and we like to be able to use the worktop underneath.  One joy of the Sonos is that with we can stream music from our Naim Core (and NAS) directly into the Kitchen. In fact as an Alexa enabled device, it has the Synology ‘skill’ which allows spoken requests for music (e.g. “Alexa, ask AudioStation to play the album Songs in the Key of Life”).  5 seconds later, Stevie Wonder starts singing!

In case anyone curious about the installation, I used a Sanus VLL61 Wall Bracket using Corefix screws (that go right through the dabbed plasterboard to mount securely to the cinderblock behind) and a dedicated Sonos wall shelf for the Sonos Beam soundbar;

Anyway, I thought I’d share this to open up a discussion on what other A/V systems people use in their kitchen, and also other folk’s experiences with the Sony Android TVs and the Sonos Beam.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski

Nice one George!

Went for a simple solution in our kitchen / dining room: SuperUniti driving ceiling-mounted MonitorAudio’s (8” + inverted mid-range and swivel tweeter). There is a LAN socket in the kitchen so that ‘feeds’ it from the server room.

F4E0A3F6-099D-44E9-BC83-2DA0398B8264A22437DE-EE48-475B-8F45-03579057184B

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Tony2011

George, I am  sure you have a very plausible reason why you have a 49" telly in your kitchen and I am also sure  you can always use catch up to watch The Big Bang Theory any time you want to. My mind bogles! 

Anyway, here is all I need in my kitchen at the moment, perhaps a little old fashion, so forgive me!

Untitled

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by GeeJay

Nice photos Adam and I love your ceiling speakers - very discrete and I bet sound excellent!

We’ve just had new bathrooms installed, and I’ve had Lithe Audio Bluetooth ceiling speakers put in (they will have a flush white grille fitted once the bathrooms are finished and decorated);

Your iPad solution looks very elegant and doesn’t dominate your kitchen kitchen either.

Yes, wired LAN cables are far more reliable than wireless (we have the TV and the soundbar wired into the main switch for the house), especially as when we used wireless a long time ago, it cut out whenever the microwave or a DECT phone was in use (same frequency).

Your bank of light switches on the left in your first photo looks very impressive - that’s a lot of lights to control!

ATB. George.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by GeeJay
Tony2011 posted:

George, I am  sure you have a very plausible reason why you have a 49" telly in your kitchen and I am also sure  you can always use catch up to watch The Big Bang Theory any time you want to. My mind bogles! 

Anyway, here is all I need in my kitchen at the moment, perhaps a little old fashion, so forgive me!

Looks great Tony - and I’m sure the taste of the superb coffee from your De Longhi complements whatever you choose to listen to!

ATB. George.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Tony2011
GeeJay posted:
Tony2011 posted:

Looks great Tony - and I’m sure the taste of the superb coffee from your De Longhi complements whatever you choose to listen to!

ATB. George.

It's a very basic machine and currently milling some Monsoon Malabar Coffee beans but best bit is that it aways plays Purple Haze while starting itself off. Uncanny! The little companion always stuck on BBC R4.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski
GeeJay posted:

Nice photos Adam and I love your ceiling speakers - very discrete and I bet sound excellent!

[SNIP...]

Your iPad solution looks very elegant and doesn’t dominate your kitchen kitchen either.

[SNIP...]

Your bank of light switches on the left in your first photo looks very impressive - that’s a lot of lights to control!

ATB. George.

It’s the 1st generation iPad, which I bought on the day they came out - so it’s staying for sentimental reasons. It runs and old version of n-Stream and n-Serve. Quite ok as far as choosing music.

Lights... right.... it’s a big kitchen / dining room

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by ewemon

Christ all I have room for in mine is a tranny. Looks good though.