Help please with Backup.

Posted by: Echolane on 05 January 2019

i have done one backup in the many months I have owned the Uniti Core.  It is about 100 rips out of date.  I’ve tried to initiate another backup without ideal success.

I touch Settings > Manage Music > Backup Music > Backup Status =  no drive is configured.

There is a USB drive in an external USB port on my Windows computer and on the same network as everything in my household.  It is in the same place it was when I did the first backup.

When I press “configure a new backup”, I am presented with several options.

LOCAL DRIVES = NO DRIVES FOUND

NETWORK DRIVES = SONICTRANSPORT [Samba 4.5.24]

nas (zero kB) Samba.....  SONIC TRANSPORT Shared Drive (Note: This is a read only file)

Storage (856.29 GB)  SONIC TRANSPORT Music Backup (Note: This is the music library on the ST)

usb Drive (0 KB) SONIC TRANSPORT Shared Drive (Note: This is a read only file)

The obvious choice is to backup to the “storage” area in the Sonic Transport.  However, this will overwrite all the  music stored there.  Why isn’t it finding my external USB drive?  This is where I would prefer it to Backup.  My thinking is that once I have this backup to the USB drive, I will update the Sonic Transporter.  

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Gazza

Could you move the USB drive from your windows computer to one of the USB connections on the Core and see if that works. Perhaps a windows update has upset something?

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by garyi

Echolane  the one constant of your posts seems to be that computer running windows 7, something to consider?

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Echolane
Gazza posted:

Could you move the USB drive from your windows computer to one of the USB connections on the Core and see if that works. Perhaps a windows update has upset something?

I did this last night and it worked.  Easy!  What is it with my Windows 7 installation.  It behaves most mysteriously with network drives coming and going from the display File Manager.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski

Quite amazing - the OP is at it again... 

Why can’t you just plug your hard drive to your computer and just drag all the files over? It will take a while, but at least you will know that everything has been copied.

As to Windows 7 - it was issued nearly 10 years ago... things have moved on since then

garyi posted:

Echolane  the one constant of your posts seems to be that computer running windows 7, something to consider?

I think there is a definite message in the tea leaves, so to speak.  Either Windows 7 or my Windows 7 installation is corrupted.  I actually bought Windows 10 when I couldn’t solve one of my recent Windows 7 frustrations.  But I solved the problem before it arrived and refused delivery.  That was weeks ago and I have yet to receive my refund.  If I were superstitious (which I am not) I would suspect Windows 7 is taking revenge on me for my momentary disloyalty (LOL).  

I only resist moving to Windows 10 because it is such a pain to reload all my software.   In my case that’s literally true as I have a seriously painful nerve injury that makes sitting difficult so chores that necessitate sitting daunt me.  But I really ought to move on from Windows 7 and with a clean install.  Actually,  I am the only member of my family still using Windows, the others have all migrated to Apple and they all nag me to do the same, but I have legacy programs that are important to me, so I will stick with Windows.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Gazza

I know this does not help. I had a windows 7 pc, I kept getting the free prompts to go to windows 10, but ignored. It then installed itself, but without any drivers, I had to pay a guy to sort it. Now have an Imac.....it’s why I bought the Core, no need for a pc or iMac.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski

Just go for Apple. Updates just handle themselves and new operating systems load up well (there is no extra charge for them). The wisest thing I did 10 years ago (when I nearly threw my Windows Vista laptop out of the window).

But that’s not an issue here - my advice is to do a manual backup of your Core, copying the files using your PC. 

Adam Zielinski posted:

Just go for Apple. Updates just handle themselves and new operating systems load up well (there is no extra charge for them). The wisest thing I did 10 years ago (when I nearly threw my Windows Vista laptop out of the window).

But that’s not an issue here - my advice is to do a manual backup of your Core, copying the files using your PC. 

I did try a copy/paste.  I couldn’t complete the operation because the  file names were too long.  I’m not sure whether that meant some individual files names were too long or whether the chain of file names was too long.   Whichever, I will have to do a more proper backup than a copy/paste!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by blythe

Long file names are not handled well by Windows 7.
Just as Adam Zielinski nearly threw his Windows laptop out of the window about 10 years ago, so did I.
Now more than happy with my MacBook.

Appreciate the plugs for “the competition”, but I have a lot of Windows history starting with MS-DOS, then Windows 3.0, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7.  All but my first computer have been custom builds and very cost effective as I can move a lot of hardware with me when I upgrade, which is way cheaper than buying a Mac.  

But my  biggest reason for staying with Windows is that  I have a couple of legacy programs I feel as though I can’t live without.

This’ll be more than you want to know, but I have one legacy program called AZZCard File which originally converted my Windows 3.0 CardFiles.  Windows CardFile disappeared with Windows 3.0.  I am a hobby gardener/plant collector and one  of those legacy files that Azzcardfile converted keeps track of almost 30 years of garden plant history.  Another file indexes all my LPs, another all my CDs, another all my DVDs.  That’s almost 30 years of my history and I continue to  use Azzcardfile regularly to this day.

The other legacy program I cling to obsessively is Lotus Organizer which looks and works like the Personal Organizers that were common in the 90s.  I have used it for 25 years or more. I regularly hunt for an iOS app that is equivalent but nothing comes close.

I do know Macs can emulate Windows, but no thank you.    

That said, I do think it’s time for Windows 10.  I don’t need to upgrade a thing to go to Wndows 10.  And I’d MUCH rather buy another streamer or discard the  internal sound card on my Windows Computer for an external DAC  than spend the money on an equivalent Mac.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Rich 1

Slightly off topic, and not trying to teach you to 'suck eggs'. I had a number of legacy programmes and drivers, mainly astronomy oriented, that was a concern when upgrading first from 7 to 8.1 and then 10. In both OS's I found that some worked natively, some needed to run in Admin mode, one or two needed Run as previous version of Windows and one needed the resolution changed. I originally set up as dual boot to test. One other thing, do an inventory of your computer system drivers and download Win 10 version failing that try 8.1 drivers and save to usb drive for later installation. Some but not all 8.1 drivers will also load in 10. Rich 

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Adam Zielinski

Fair enough with all the ‘legacy’ software.

However... using it is actually hampering your ability to process modern day stuff. For example your problem with backups at hand...

AZZ File is just a database - I’m sure there is an export function that will dump raw data in a format that will be read by modern day software.

Lotus Organiser - nowadays it’s replaced by Calendar - either in Oultook or as an embeded sofware in Macs. It offers pretty much the save veiws - day with tasks, day, week, month, etc. Reminders are handled via a reminder app.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Echolane
Adam Zielinski posted:

Fair enough with all the ‘legacy’ software.

However... using it is actually hampering your ability to process modern day stuff. For example your problem with backups at hand...

AZZ File is just a database - I’m sure there is an export function that will dump raw data in a format that will be read by modern day software.

Lotus Organiser - nowadays it’s replaced by Calendar - either in Oultook or as an embeded sofware in Macs. It offers pretty much the save veiws - day with tasks, day, week, month, etc. Reminders are handled via a reminder app.

I feel some discomfort straying so far off topic but it’s hard not to respond.....

I definitely concede that Windows 7 seems to be hampering me, and does so over and over again.  I will do something about it.  But it’s another example of gremlins in my life which seem to want to keep me buried in problems.  Why don’t I yet have  the refund from returning Windows 10 some weeks ago?    Something to track down tomorrow when I have time to spend on the phone.

But I won’t readily concede that my reluctance to move on from my legacy software means I am stuck in the past.  I basically live on my iPad and I love it!  One side effect is I’ve become regrettably rusty about Windows.  I regularly look for apps that will let me say goodbye to a desktop computer, but so far nothing betters Lotus Organizer.  I’m tempted to elaborate on the many reasons why but I’ll spare you that and merely say to know it is to love it and to know is to know there is not yet it’s equal.  I do keep nagging my app development savvy nephews and grandkids to develop an app that imitates at least some of its many features, but alas,  no luck so far.

Evernote and Notes both come close to being satisfactory substitutes for Azzcardfile and I do use them in ways I would ordinarily use Azzcardfile.  Unfortunately, there is no process I’m aware of that would allow me to transfer their data to one or the other of the apps, which includes hundreds of photos linked to photos stored elsewhere on the Windows computer.  

Both of the programs will work just fine on Windows 10, so no worries there.  It just seems a no-brainer to go on to Windows 10.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Echolane
Rich 1 posted:

Slightly off topic, and not trying to teach you to 'suck eggs'. I had a number of legacy programmes and drivers, mainly astronomy oriented, that was a concern when upgrading first from 7 to 8.1 and then 10. In both OS's I found that some worked natively, some needed to run in Admin mode, one or two needed Run as previous version of Windows and one needed the resolution changed. I originally set up as dual boot to test. One other thing, do an inventory of your computer system drivers and download Win 10 version failing that try 8.1 drivers and save to usb drive for later installation. Some but not all 8.1 drivers will also load in 10. Rich 

I came close to losing Lotus Organizer once, and I had a dual boot system set up so I could alternate between Windows 2000 and Windows XP, but I subsequently learned to install it in a slightly non-standard way, which works,  and I was able to abandon the dual boot (which was a real pain anyway).  I install it the same slightly non-standard way  in WIndows 7 and I’m told it’ll work just fine in Windows 10. Hope so....