272 and XPS2 versus XPS Dr - 2019 review

Posted by: Arnk on 05 January 2019

I know this subject is on the forums but I don't think it has been reviewed since the 4.6 firmware update and just general passage of time.  There was a general consensus around 2016 that for some systems the XPS2 gave a warmer presentation than the XPS-DR.  I think one or two people commented about how some "boogie" was lost on certain kits.  Anyone have any updated comments about this?

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by spurrier sucks

The forum has now decided a 555PS is needed on 272. Times are a changing. 

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

I sold my Nac 272. Got a s/h Naim Dac + restored Nac72 for the same outlay (less actually). Outclasses the Nac272. Now, a 555 would really be something on the Naim Dac. :-)

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by HiFiman
spurrier sucks posted:

The forum has now decided a 555PS is needed on 272. Times are a changing. 

555DR

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by wenger2015

The xpsdr on the 272 will have a notable impact, but again the 555ps makes a considerable difference. 

Of course these things are very much room dependent, get the room right first and then you will get the best out of your power supplies.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Arnk

Thanks for this info but what I am more concerned about is changing the musical signature... I actually had a ndac with the xps2 and supernait 2 and I literally stopped listening to the system... it was too clinical for my ears.  So I am finding my 272/250dr/XPS2/Core very enjoyable... my concern is if I upgrade to the XPS DR i will lose the enjoyment.  So if someone has a similar experience I would love hearing what you did and how that affected the sound.  Thanks.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Dan.S

May I suggest investing in some good power cables instead of side stepping in the DR territory?

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Arnk

Thank you, yes, I already have the power cables and that made a very nice difference.