Your music audition playlist

Posted by: MangoMonkey on 05 January 2019

Maybe this belongs in the music room - but maybe here since this is about music auditioning. 

Just curious as to what kind of music folks use to audition new speakers/components etc. I just threw something together while at the dealers with not much thought. Be curious as to what music others use - and why.

Here's my playlist: https://tidal.com/playlist/7be...64-881c-18ea505c88c0

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Jonners

I always use something I am very well acquainted with and really like - a mixture of well and badly produced, spartan and busy tracks. I usually turn up to dealers with a mixture of 20 albums, 2-3 hours in hand and a packet of biscuits to dip in the multiple mugs of tea I also need to audition kit properly.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Richard Dane

MM, I’ve moved this to the music room for you - probably the more appropriate place.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Bart

Did I give you a copy of what I use? I'll post it -- Ive been using the same tracks for years. It's helpful because I know what they sound like on a variety of systems, speakers, my room, dealers' rooms etc

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

I did not know it was possible - but it's super easy to share a Tidal or Spotify link to a playlist.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Iver van de Zand
MangoMonkey posted:

Maybe this belongs in the music room - but maybe here since this is about music auditioning. 

Just curious as to what kind of music folks use to audition new speakers/components etc. I just threw something together while at the dealers with not much thought. Be curious as to what music others use - and why.

Here's my playlist: https://tidal.com/playlist/7be...64-881c-18ea505c88c0

What a wonderful list ... playing as we speak and enjoying MM !

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by ratrat

Nice list. Thanks for sharing.

I tend to use good recordings that I'm familiar with. Also, I try to use tracks with acoustic instruments (voice, piano, guitar, cello, double bass, etc) that your ears can reference to real world live instruments and sounds. Some simple and quiet, some more complex fuller arrangements. And lastly, mixing it up across musical tastes: Rock, Jazz, Indie, Progressive, Electronica...

So, here are a few of my favourite demo' tracks, in no particular order:

David Sylvian : Orpheus, from "Secrets of the Beehive" (1987)

The Bad Plus : Everywhere You Turn, from "These Are The Vistas" (2002)

The Dixie Chicks : Godspeed (Sweet Dreams), from "Home" (2002)

Depeche Mode : Enjoy the Silence, from "Violator", (1990)

Darkside : Paper Trails, from "Psychic" (2013)

Adele : Cold Shoulder, from "19" (2008)

Damien Rice : The Blower's Daughter, from "O", (2003)

The Dave Brubeck Quartet : Take Five, from "Time Out" (1959)

Lyle Lovett : North Dakota, from "Joshua Judges Ruth" (1992)

Nick Mulvey : Fever to the Form, from "First Mind" (2014)

Dr John : Solitude, from "Duke Elegant" (1999)

The XX : Crystalised, from "XX" (2009)

Maribou State : Midas, from "Portraits" (2015)

Aztec Camera : Knife, from "Knife" (1984)

Madonna / William Orbit : Substitute For Love, from "Ray of Light" (1998)

The Who : Who Are You, from "Who Are You" (1978)

Lastly, would have mentioned Melody Gardot too. But you already including some of her work in your playlist

That's an eclectic collection. Hope there is something above you like and find useful.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Mercky

Here’s mine, it’s got a bit longer then I had intended but anytime I hear anything that stands out sq wise I add it in

https://tidal.com/playlist/779...c2-aa5b-fe50336e020f

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

[@mention:73652630748744533] - I'm listening to your music now