NDX with active speakers

Posted by: Chico on 06 January 2019

Hello Naim friends,

Recently sold my Superuniti and Tannoy DC8, wanted something new.

Looking at Elac Navis active speakers, was wondering if just the NDX (wich i'll buy second hand) will

be enough to get me going or do i need something with a volume control like a N272.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Richard Dane

You'll need a volume control of some sort, but with active speakers better to have a pre-amp of some sort (whether integrated a la NAC-N272, or separate) to drive the interconnects properly.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Chico

Thanks Richard. I will be looking into a N172 or A N272. Or a Atom would work i guess but with using a Atom i would use it just as a streamer / pre-amp then.. (did that with a UQ2/NAP100) wonder if i use its full potentional then.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Peakman

Hi Chico

A few things you might like to take into consideration.

1)  A Naim preamp will require a power supply, adding to the cost.

2)  If your budget stretches to a used 272 this would be much preferable to a 172, IMHO, but then I'm biased.

3)  By going with a Naim pre (albeit built into a 272 or Atom) you are effectively mixing pre and power amps from different manufacturers.  Although this goes against the Naim philosophy that a non-integrated amp is really one amp in several boxes, it can work.  I have heard a 272 with ATC active speakers and the combo sounded outstanding, but the ATCs are much a much more expensive proposition than the Elacs.  I would strongly urge you to listen to your proposed setup before committing yourself.

4)  Finally, what is the attraction of the Elacs?  For a similar budget, you might consider NDX into Nait XS2 (both bought used) into small stand-mounts eg Dynaudio Emit M20 or something from Neat.  This might well sound better.

Have fun choosing and report back.

Roger

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by james n

If going with active speakers, then it's worth looking at the Aurilic Vega G2 as the source as an option to the Naim streaming preamps. 

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Peakman

Yup, I too am a fan of the Vega G2, but, bought new, it is significantly more expensive than the 272 and, I suspect, even more so on the second hand market.  This would take it well outside the OP's implied budget.  A Vega G1 might be worth considering, though.

Roger

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by james n

Good point Roger - there's a fair few 272s knocking about on the second hand market - it's a decent bit of kit. 

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Chico

Thanks for the replies.

The attraction of the Elacs for me is that they are basic active speaker without streaming build in (like the Dynaudio xeo or the Dali Callisto.

I thought that would be the most basic system, powered speakers and a naim streamer.

Dont know what i will end up with, just orientating.

ATC actives with a 272.. now that would be nice, a bit too expensive for now, but maybe i will save some more money.

Thanks again for all the info.

greetings from Holland

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by No quarter
Chico posted:

Hello Naim friends,

Recently sold my Superuniti and Tannoy DC8, wanted something new.

Looking at Elac Navis active speakers, was wondering if just the NDX (wich i'll buy second hand) will

be enough to get me going or do i need something with a volume control like a N272.

Chico 

I have a pair of Dynaudio XD 600’s,and feed them using an NDS digital out.The XD’s have their own remote for volume control.I just recently got the NDS,before it I used an N272 digital out to feed them.The NDS is used as a source for two systems,digital for the Dyn’s and analog outs of the NDS to a Cary Audio preamp I use with my Sopra 1’s.The upgrade to NDS over the 272 feeding BOTH setups was quite substantial,very happy that I went for it.