N282 RCA Inputs

Posted by: skyebridge on 06 January 2019

I'm about to start using a Garrard 401 + SME-II with Goldring 1012GX MC into a Nac282.

Will the deck's RCA plugs go stright into RCA2 on the pre-amp?

Or do Ineed a Stageline/Prefix intermediate setup?

Thanks for feedback.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by ChrisSU

You will need a suitable phono stage, as the 282 does not have one built in. 

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by yeti42

You need a phonostage, if a Naim one that would be a Stageline N which can be powered from the Preamp and it should come with the necessary cable according to the forum FAC “What comes in the box”, mine didn’t though so worth checking through you’re dealer that it will.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Rich 1

Many years ago I had a 401, SME 9" series 2 mounted in a rather good looking SME Plinth system 2000. Lovely sound but a shame about the slight rumble even from new. Still have fond memories of my first love. Naim also had one at the factory, I remember Julian pointing it out on a factory visit many, many years ago, can't remember what arm was fitted though. Rich 

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by skyebridge

Thanks for the advice. I've got a Stageline N, so will set that up and report back.

How does the Stageline power itself from the Nac282?

The Garrard 401 is set in a a heavy granite plinth designed by Peter Soper. The Garrard and SME II were recently completely overhauled by North West Analogue. So, there is none of the problematic rumble that traditionally affects these when set in wooden or other lightweight plinths. When I collected it, we listen/compared v an SME 3012 fitted with a Koetsu catridge, and a high quality phono stage. There was no T/T noise. There WAS a clear audible difference in tracking and completeness of information, butnot by as much as I had expected beforehand!

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Hugh, the Stageline gets 24V DC power from the powered 240 degree DIN5 AUX2 socket.  This also takes in the signal, so just the one SNAIC 5 required and this should come as standard with the Stageline.

Regarding the Garrard 401 + SME arm, I think we all need to see a picture...

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by skyebridge

Thanks.

I'll post photos of the Garrard/SME in due course.

However, I've hauled out the Stageline and see that it's labelled 'S', which I think indicates low output M/C. Is this viable with my Goldring 1012GX?

Somewhere I've got a Prefix, or maybe two, and a Linn Troika.

But I'd much prefer to stick with the setup as prepared for me by NWA.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Richard Dane

A Goldring 1012GX is a MM cartridge and needs a Stageline N.  A Stageline S or Prefix is for use with a low output MC cartridge.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by skyebridge

Oh dear!

I'm looking to buy a Stageline N.

Perhaps there are other Phono Stage recommendations?

Meantime, I've found some pairs of 528/1B and 528/1T boards in my collection of spares. As far as I recall, these are straight-through boards for use with CD-type inputs. But would they work (temporarily) with an MM input on one of the Nac-282 RCA sockets?

My only other recourse for immediate vinyl is to haul out an Ariston RD-11 with a Black Widow arm that was fitted with a Prefix in LP-12 fashion.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Richard Dane

No, you can't use NA528 boards for this.

If you want a good cheap phono stage to get you going then either a Rega fono, Pro-Ject Phonobox SE, or Creek OBH can often be picked up for £50-80.  Otherwise secondhand Stageline Ns are usually not much over £150.

Your other option would be to consider a MC cart, but the SME 3009 will dictate whether that's a good idea or not.  If it's an early one, an S2, or an R then you'll be OK and a Denon DL103 could be interesting.  Otherwise, if it's an "Improved", stick to MM...

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Bart
skyebridge posted:

Oh dear!

I'm looking to buy a Stageline N.

Perhaps there are other Phono Stage recommendations?

We don't see a lot of phono stage talk here!  I'm jumping into the TT world (on a bit of a lark) and my dealer is 'bundling' the Rega phono stage (Aria) with the Rega table he's selling me, so I didn't think much of it.  The Stageline is $700 US and the Aria is twice that; not sure if the Rega is twice as good, or not.  But it's well-matched to the Rega cartridge so I'm happy to have an analog 'system' that was thoughtfully matched.  Obviously people spend even tons more; a Superline is $4200 and needs an external power supply.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Christopher_M
Bart posted:

a Superline.....needs an external power supply.

It will run happily off any Naim pre which has AUX2.

We ought to see more phonostage talk here imo. Specifically, on getting the crucial match between cartridge and stage that can levitate vinyl playback to the sublime.

Skyebridge, Nothing wrong with a Stageline N. Just match it with the right cartridge, an Audio Technica for instance.

C.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Jonners
Bart posted: 

We don't see a lot of phono stage talk here!  I'm jumping into the TT world (on a bit of a lark) and my dealer is 'bundling' the Rega phono stage (Aria) with the Rega table he's selling me, so I didn't think much of it.  The Stageline is $700 US and the Aria is twice that; not sure if the Rega is twice as good, or not.  But it's well-matched to the Rega cartridge so I'm happy to have an analog 'system' that was thoughtfully matched.  Obviously people spend even tons more; a Superline is $4200 and needs an external power supply.

I went from a Stageline to an Aria quite recently and found it made a positive difference. I don't think the improvement could be called "twice as good" as the Stageline is a fine phono stage anyway, particularly at its price point. Stagelines can be upgraded via a dedicated Hi-Cap but that's pushing the overall price very high. They're not that flexible being dedicated units for MC or MM cartridge only (and variants of those to match MC output at that). The Aria can do MC or MM at the push of a button. If your dealer is bundling an Aria in with your TT then I think you'll be a very happy bunny - I am!

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by skyebridge

Hi again:

Thanks to everybody for the advice given so far.

I've not found a Stageline N in the UK, so opted in the end for a Cambridge Audio Duo: This has both MM & MC inputs, but the MM spec is better than the MM-only Cambridge Solo.

My next big issue in setting up my Garrard is that I simply don't have room for all the boxes, so must severely cut down!

My preferred choice is to use my Nac282 with the Cambridge Audo phono stage inputting to the RCA Phono inputs; CD5XS with the CD Input; and ND5XS (FM/Dab Module fitted) with Aux1 or Aux2.

Which is the correct Input on the Nac282 - I don't find the Connections Guide too clear about this?

The Nac282 will have 2 HiCap equivalents + NAPSC.

However, I'll be sacrificing my Nat05XS, DAC, FlatcapXS and DAC PS!

I hope it will be worth it!

I do have a SuperUniti (FM/Dab fitted) that I was intending to sell, which if I used it would allow a different mix of boxes. Above all, I love my Nat05XS, which is so superior to iRadio or streamed radio.

On the other hand, however, the SU pre-amp is so inferior to the Nac282 that I can't bear to go backwards in that direction!

Hugh