Rega fono through Nait 3

Posted by: Smithfire on 06 January 2019

Hi all

After having my Nait 3 serviced last year, I wanted to see if using a seperate phono stage would lift the planar 6/Exact a bit, especially in the soundstage and imaging dept. 

So I purchased a new Rega fono last week and after much faffing around installing it into my system (6mm glass sheets suspended by wooden batons in a fire place....no access to the rear!) I managed to get everything back in place. Left it a week to burn in/warm up. 

1st serious listening session today, so I feel I can make a few observations. My go to test records are the 180g War of the Worlds, Nirvana Unplugged, an original copy of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac etc etc.

The sound is generally the same but notable improvements in upper mid and higher frequencies. What Im particularly pleased about is the improvement in the bass. Before with the 522/1 boards I felt that the bass was too forward and was overcoming the music. Now, with the fono, the bass has stepped back a bit and the rest of the mix has stepped out of its slightly overbearing shadow. 

The sound stage has also expanded slightly which is a bonus. 

I'm pretty sure there is more to come as my Nait 3 hits week 2. Sounds crazy I know but Ive done it a few times now, and Im sure it takes a good 2 to 3 weeks to fully come on song after a power down. 

So all in all Im pleased with my 200 pound outlay. 

Clive

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Rega Exact and Naim MM boards arent  the best match in my experience - both are a bit on the dark side so together a bit imbalanced  and “sat on” I found, so improvement with the Rega stage is perhaps unsurprising. Get the cart right though (A-Ts work particularly well here) and the Naim 522 MM boards can really perform

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Smithfire

Oh I'll be hanging on to the naim phono boards just in case of amp/cartridge upgrades Richard!

Clive

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Christopher_M

Clive, this one is running and running ;-)

I feel slightly apprehensive about the outcome since I think I may have been the one who suggested Fono with Exact, having heard the combo at my dealers'.

C.

Why the apprehension?

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Christopher_M

I heard the combo at my dealers’ and liked it, so recommended it. 

But you may not like it. Signs so far though, are that you do. 

Indeed I do Christopher....thanks for the recommendation. 

Clive