Muso Qb - Release IP

Posted by: NickBiden on 06 January 2019

So I have address reservations on my router for all my wired devices and, individually, they are all set for DHCP. I have been trying all night to get my Qb to release the address it has taken and actually use that in the address reservation table. After 3 factory resets the Muso is about to get launched and changed for a Phantom Reactor.

So I have tried:

1. 3 factory resets
  2. Assigning a static IP from the muso web interface and then reverting to DHCP
  3. Blocking and then allowing the muso to access the network.

Nothing will force the Qb to release the address - or do I also need to force the router to release the address (blocking and allowing was intended to do this.

Between factory resets I have been refreshing the router (NOT resetting)

Frankly at a loss. Holiday on Tuesday. And all will be well because i an come home and build an FM radio instead!

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Guinnless

Your ISP router should have a "home network" page where it should show upup.  You can also access the IP from the Naim App. Go to Config (gear wheel), About, Email version info.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Mike-B

You say you've done X number of factory resets,  but have you power cycled the Qb,  A power cycle is the only way I know to reset static IP back to DHCP.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by NickBiden

Things are always clearer in the morning!

Mike-B - yes I had power cycled the Qb

I left the Qb powered down overnight, rebooted my router first thing this morning and voila we have success. One additional step was to remove the Qb from the address reservation table and add it back in once the Qb had been reconnected to the rebooted router. I can only think that the router has fairly lengthy DHCP leases and was remembering the previously connected devices.

Oh happy day

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Mike-B
NickBiden posted:

".......................  Oh happy day

Seems like all’s well in the world.    I too suspect the router has a long memory, if I need to run a system power cycle  I leave the router off for at least 5 minutes or longer to be sure the ISP recognises I’m off line.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Brian H

IP Leases are about 24 hrs on my BT HH6

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by David Hendon

If you had just left everything set to use DHCP and not bothered with trying to reserve IP addresses for anything, it would probably have worked fine and saved you a lot of fuss and worry. That is what DHCP is for!

best

David

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Guinnless
David Hendon posted:

If you had just left everything set to use DHCP and not bothered with trying to reserve IP addresses for anything, it would probably have worked fine and saved you a lot of fuss and worry. That is what DHCP is for!

best

David

Where's the fun in that though. 

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by David Hendon

Err listening to the music, maybe?

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by NickBiden

David,

The point has been made before But picking up on Guinnless' point we all chose to set up our systems differently and whilst I have no doubt that address reservation is not necessary it's just how my OCD mind works. Sorry. I have, though, avoided,what appears to be a cardinal sin of using static IPs so at least my router, as DHCP server, is still in charge 

I would agree with you wholeheartedly that the central aim is listening to music and getting the best from our systems.

I've solved my, probably self made, problem so I can get back to the music. Many thanks for all the comments.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Guinnless

My comment was in jest

I do have a couple of static IPs (LG TVs)  but these are out of necessity; Oh and my RasPi and Cisco 2960 - although this if for convenience rather than necessity..