Ls50w vs Uniti atom

Posted by: Ggmogo on 06 January 2019

Imhave narrowed down my options to the Ls 50W and the Naim Uniti atom with bookshelf speakers. I am looking for timing and high spl, recommendations? Thanks! 

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Skinnypuppy71

I'd go with uniti atom with a good pair of sensitive standmounts...I was very underwhelmed when I went to dem a pair of the active ls50's last year...my then nait xs/cd5i mkii with pmc twenty 21's showed them a very clean pair of heels.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Perol
Ggmogo posted:

Imhave narrowed down my options to the Ls 50W and the Naim Uniti atom with bookshelf speakers. I am looking for timing and high spl, recommendations? Thanks! 

High spl

You will need a beefy amp and large effective speakers, hardly bokshelfs and a 40w Uniti unless your in a very little room.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Tariq

I have tried the LS50W vs Naim Atom (+Dynaudio Emit 20) all on Partington Dreadnought stands (filled with atabites). The KEFs do not even come close in sound and enjoyment. The Kefs seem to have an enhanced mid/high frequency range, which after the initial oohs and aaahs becomes fatiguing very quickly.

The second point is how terrible the KEF apps are, you need 2 to get it going, my iPhone was about to explode due to the heat being generated by them constantly finding and losing connection, even using ethernet with the KEFs didn't help much. I don't think I managed 1 album without something happening - a real lesson in frustration.

Another thing not mentioned is that if you set your router to Automatic (I have an Airport Extreme), the KEFs will not find a 5Ghz network which is not within the 35-60 bands (the default for 5Ghz for most routers), the Airport set on auto almost always picks band 100. You can manually set it to another band but then you have neighbouring routers competing on the same band.

Ultimately it made me appreciate the Naim ecosystem more - the grass is definitely not greener on the other side!

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Ggmogo
Perol posted:
Ggmogo posted:

High spl

You will need a beefy amp and large effective speakers, hardly bokshelfs and a 40w Uniti unless your in a very little room.

For a pair of bookshelves, such as the B&W 606, will I be able to reach the advertised max spl, if I have a sub for the lows? I’m just trying to make sure that if I go the amp route, that I can get above 100 dB. 

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Ggmogo
Tariq posted:

I have tried the LS50W vs Naim Atom (+Dynaudio Emit 20) all on Partington Dreadnought stands (filled with atabites). The KEFs do not even come close in sound and enjoyment. The Kefs seem to have an enhanced mid/high frequency range, which after the initial oohs and aaahs becomes fatiguing very quickly.

The second point is how terrible the KEF apps are, you need 2 to get it going, my iPhone was about to explode due to the heat being generated by them constantly finding and losing connection, even using ethernet with the KEFs didn't help much. I don't think I managed 1 album without something happening - a real lesson in frustration.

Another thing not mentioned is that if you set your router to Automatic (I have an Airport Extreme), the KEFs will not find a 5Ghz network which is not within the 35-60 bands (the default for 5Ghz for most routers), the Airport set on auto almost always picks band 100. You can manually set it to another band but then you have neighbouring routers competing on the same band.

Ultimately it made me appreciate the Naim ecosystem more - the grass is definitely not greener on the other side!

If I hook up a bluesound node 2i via optical to the ls50W and use bluOs do you think that will help solve the headaches with the kef app?