Strange noise.

Posted by: Mike1951 on 07 January 2019

My TV sound is routed via an optic cable from the Samsung ‘wall-hanger’ into my system via the ND5XS. When I’m watching Sky news, I get an intermittent noise that doesn’t happen with any other channel.

The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a sort of high pitched “quack”, as if a hyperactive duck has just been poked with a sharp stick.

Any ideas?

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by GraemeH
Mike1951 posted:

My TV sound is routed via an optic cable from the Samsung ‘wall-hanger’ into my system via the ND5XS. When I’m watching Sky news, I get an intermittent noise that doesn’t happen with any other channel.

The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a sort of high pitched “quack”, as if a hyperactive duck has just been poked with a sharp stick.

Any ideas?

Is it just when Donald is on the news?

G

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Richard Dane

{ahem}

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Mike1951

“ahem”?

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Super

I think he means don't be so sarcastic.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by David Hendon

This probably is some odd artefact of the Sky News production feed. Was it always like this or did it start recently? If you listen to Sky News audio through the TVs own speakers, can you still hear the quack? Does it happen during advertising breaks or just from the studio? Does it happen on material that isn’t from the studio, like video reports?

best

David

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Richard Dane

I'm no expert on Sky, but I believe that it usually transmits in multichannel, sometimes reverting to 2 channel for certain programmes or parts of programmes (like some news reports).  It could some kind of artefact arising from that - the TV transcoding multichannel to 2 channel, and then no needing to do so and switching for any 2 channel transmission. I may be wrong, but just a thought.  Maybe worth asking Samsung their thoughts on this.