dac v1 partnering: Innuos zen mk3 or uniti core?

Posted by: pit on 07 January 2019

Hi 

I'm looking forward suggestion on the topic. My music is on my synology and not it is played using amarra via dac v1 usb connected.

I wish to exclude my mac but what is the final choice in terms of sound quality? Zen mk3 via usb or uniti core via spdif?

I terms of feature and flexibility zen is steps ahead but I don't compared them in terms of SQ

Thanks

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Beajuju

In terms of functionality, I will choose the Zen The ZEN can be a Roon and LMS Server. I have a Zen mini Mark II with a Naim Uniti Nova. Believe me, it's really better than a Synology NAS in terms of SQ.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by ChrisSU

The new Zen Mk3 now has an SPDIF out as well as USB. The £1000 you would save by buying that instead of a Core would be enough to buy a used NDAC.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Filipe
ChrisSU posted:

The new Zen Mk3 now has an SPDIF out as well as USB. The £1000 you would save by buying that instead of a Core would be enough to buy a used NDAC.

That looks a very interesting alternative to the Core.

One thing that would make me really interested is if it could import from libraries created by UnitiServe or Core to save reripping CDs. After all the Album titles, tracks and artwork are in the directory (of my NAS at least). All I then want is for it to dig out more metadata purely as a nice to have. Most of us put composer into classical album titles. Track lengths should not be adjusted and those are basically what ripping software uses to identify to album.

Anyone know if it can import?

Phil

Filipe posted:
ChrisSU posted:

One thing that would make me really interested is if it could import from libraries created by UnitiServe or Core to save reripping CDs. After all the Album titles, tracks and artwork are in the directory (of my NAS at least). All I then want is for it to dig out more metadata purely as a nice to have. Most of us put composer into classical album titles. Track lengths should not be adjusted and those are basically what ripping software uses to identify to album.

Phil

As discussed on a number of other threads here, Naim rips will need to be FLAC in order to have metadata usable on non-Naim equipment. Other than that, I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t import from a Unitiserve to a Zen. 

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by pit

My question is regarding SQ not regarding flexibility.

Zen mk3 does not have spdif only zen mini has spdif, higher models have only dedicated rj45 and usb

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Filipe
ChrisSU posted:
Filipe posted:
ChrisSU posted:

Phil

As discussed on a number of other threads here, Naim rips will need to be FLAC in order to have metadata usable on non-Naim equipment. Other than that, I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t import from a Unitiserve to a Zen. 

Thanks ChrisSU. Learned after demoing UnitiServe and Core that FLAC files store the metadata. WAV was recommended for SQ reasons. I will have to have a demo.

Found the Innuos blurb on the import wizards. 

Phil

pit posted:

My question is regarding SQ not regarding flexibility.

Zen mk3 does not have spdif only zen mini has spdif, higher models have only dedicated rj45 and usb

Sorry, I missed the fact that you meant the regular Zen. Nonetheless, the NDAC with a good SPDIF feed is a great sounding source, so based on sound quality, it might still be worth considering. The Mini (possibly with the optional PSU upgrade) might be inferior to the regular Zen, but I have a feeling that investing in a better DAC might be a more cost effective route to better sound quality.