175 vs 145 for Central channel amplification with AV2.

Posted by: Tesilk on 08 January 2019

175 vs 145 for Central channel amplification with AV2. What is the best option? 

Front and rear speakers are active ATCs.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Best by quite a margin for driving a centre channel is the NAPV145 - essentially a single channel version of the NAP250.2.  The NAPV175 by contrast is a three channel power amp designed to add centre and surround amplification in one box as an upgrade to an existing 2 channel amp.  The amps themselves in the NAPV175 are basically related to the NAP150.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Tesilk
Richard Dane posted:

Best by quite a margin for driving a centre channel is the NAPV145 - essentially a single channel version of the NAP250.2.  The NAPV175 by contrast is a three channel power amp designed to add centre and surround amplification in one box as an upgrade to an existing 2 channel amp.  The amps themselves in the NAPV175 are basically related to the NAP150.

Thanks Richard, will buy then 145 I think. 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Tesilk

Front speaker is the Paradigm Signature C5

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Felty99
Tesilk posted:
Richard Dane posted:

Thanks Richard, will buy then 145 I think. 

Much easier to source a used 250 amp rather than a 145 (more choice, cheaper etc) and get a bespoke interconnect so it feeds only 1 of the amp's channels, e.g. via flashback cables. Or use the 250 to bi-amp the centre channel (will need a slightly different cable, if so).

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by james n
Felty99 posted:

Or use the 250 to bi-amp the centre channel (will need a slightly different cable, if so).

Yes that's what I used to do for the centre when using Naim amps in a HT setup - may as well use both channels  

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Tesilk
james n posted:
Felty99 posted:

Or use the 250 to bi-amp the centre channel (will need a slightly different cable, if so).

Yes that's what I used to do for the centre when using Naim amps in a HT setup - may as well use both channels  

even if the speaker has only one pair of terminals like the Paradigm Signature C5v2? 

Is there any connection scheme or guide to see? 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by james n

If the centre channel doesn't offer bi-wiring then it's a no go for using both channels.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by rackkit
Tesilk posted:

Front speaker is the Paradigm Signature C5

I used the 175s middle channel to drive an n-Cent speaker and it did a great job. Now have a 145 paired with the bigger Axess Centre and it's a fair step up in performance.